Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to Join?

Hi everyone,
    I've been reading the forums for a while but need some advice.....
    I definitely want to join the Guard. 100%. But my parents (who are paying for college) want me to wait until after the first semester to make sure I can keep my grades up. I'd be fine with this, but I'm afraid if I wait until November/December 2010 to enlist, I won't be able to get a spot at infantry OSUT in May 2011. So I guess my question is, If I enlist in November, what are my chances of getting a spot at infantry OSUT next summer? Is it hard to get a spot at Infantry OSUT?
    Last edited by 11b_Orguard; July 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM.

Re: When to Join?

I'd say your chances are pretty good. I see people enlist all the way up to May and still ship out infantry OSUT that summer.

Comment

A guy at my RSP said he wanted 11B but he couldnt get a slot until May

Would that mean OSUT is all booked up until then, or that our state just doesn't have any 11B slots until then?

Comment

I'm somewhat confused by this thread. He is talking about enlisting in nov/dec of 2009, yet the post is dated today?

Comment

^^ Haha didnt even notice that. Probably got his years messed up.

Definetly 11B material!

Comment

Originally posted by NJ732
            Definetly 11B material!
            haha...thats funny

Comment

^^ Haha didnt even notice that. Probably got his years messed up.

Definetly 11B material!
              hahah wrote this very late last night....but glad to see im fitting in

Comment

A guy at my RSP said he wanted 11B but he couldnt get a slot until May

Would that mean OSUT is all booked up until then, or that our state just doesn't have any 11B slots until then?
                Wouldnt that mean every state would be booked then since all infantry goes to fort benning?

Comment

Originally posted by 11b_Orguard
                  Wouldnt that mean every state would be booked then since all infantry goes to fort benning?
                  Thats what I was asking

I think its the other way around. I can't imagine Benning is "full" like that, my state probably just didn't have an Infantry slot for the guy I was talking about

Go talk to a recruiter! You can enlist now and pick a date to leave after your semester is over

Comment

Thats what I was asking

I think its the other way around. I can't imagine Benning is "full" like that, my state probably just didn't have an Infantry slot for the guy I was talking about

Go talk to a recruiter! You can enlist now and pick a date to leave after your semester is over
                    My recruiter said he has no way of knowing how full OSUT is. He said enlisting in November is USUALLY okay to get a slot for may. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience/trouble getting an infantry OSUT spot

Comment

There is no cut and dry answer here. Your not going to get an absolute YES it will work, or NO it cant happen. Some people may have had issues in the past and others have none at all. Either way, they still wont really know why it did or didnt work for them. They only know that the recruiter said it could or couldnt happen. Like your recruiter told you, enlisting in NOV is usually ok on shipping out in May. No one here is going to be able to give you a more absolute answer then that.

Comment

Thank you sir, I think I just needed someone else to tell me that. I'm definitely not willing to risk not getting a spot at basic next summer....I'll call my recruiter today and get a date to go to MEPS

Comment

I enlisted June 3rd as 11B, with a original ship date of august 25. I asked my recruiter and he put in a request to move the date up. one week later it was moved to august 4th. The main problem you will have is finding a 11B slot but besides that, I dont believe Fort benning is full. people have to make cancellations all the time for various reasons, (sick, hurt). dont let anyone talk you out of 11B either if that is what you want to do. I was originally told that there were no 11B slots open, I was then offered other jobs, I said no and the NEXT DAY a slot appeared.

Comment

Waiting until after the first of October could be a good thing, as the state will have money available at the start of the fiscal year.
                            You shouldn't have a problem with the dates you've mentioned.

Comment

@11b_orGuard

The sooner you goto MEPs, the better the chance of getting a slot further away. Don't goto a recruiter in April and want to leave in May. Remember lots of people graduate around that time and join.

I enlisted June 3rd as 11B, with a original ship date of august 25. I asked my recruiter and he put in a request to move the date up. one week later it was moved to august 4th. The main problem you will have is finding a 11B slot but besides that, I dont believe Fort benning is full. people have to make cancellations all the time for various reasons, (sick, hurt). dont let anyone talk you out of 11B either if that is what you want to do. I was originally told that there were no 11B slots open, I was then offered other jobs, I said no and the NEXT DAY a slot appeared.
                              You are right in a sense. However, MOS like 11b, and several others are booked at 125% capacity in anticipation of this. Just a thought. I am trying to get my OSUT moved up as well, but have to wait for a significant portion to drop out before they start moving ship dates up.

Comment

Working...
                              X