X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Secret Clearance Questions...

Okay, I seem to be getting mixed answers and I'm just hoping for some clarifaction. I am 31 and currently in the process of enlisting in the National Guard with the objective enlisting as a 35F. I have DUI / OMVI (04/2001) and 5 other minor traffic tickets but none since 2005. I have been a very responsible person (I know everyone says that) since my DUI and scored excellent on my ASVAB and I want to do the best possible job to give me a leg up on getting to federal level law enforcement. My recruiter seems to think the traffic violations are going to pose a problem, and other friends (one is a recruiter for a different state) seem to think that it won't be a problem once I explain to a clearance officer.

I could use some help preparing myself for what to expect as well as other recommended jobs if 35F is not an option for me.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Re: Top Secret Clearance Questions...

They may pose a problem at meps...the screeners there seem to think that Jay walking will get your TS clearance denied.

If all you have is a DUI and 5 traffic tickets older than 2005, then you will get your clearance, provided you're not forgetting to mention other stuff here.

Comment

Just playing devils advocate...

There is a possibility you could not get it. The best thing to do is to tell them about everything and hope. Are you in debt? Do you have a lot of payments? Is your income to payment ratio large? There are many factors that play in than just tickets.
      Last edited by Mr_Loki; July 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Teuvil,

The whole deal with the debt thing is unpaid payments. You can have a $400k mortgage and a new car, etc as long as you're paying it on time and have a reasonable explanatino for how you're able to affford it.

You can have all your credit cards maxed or at a high debt load as long as you're paying them on time and not missing payments you're golden.

Now..on the other hand, go ahead and refuse to pay a $20 traffic ticket or small bill and let that show up on your credit report as a charge off or something you refuse to pay and you will not get your clearance.

Here's the basic run down, since I do this proffessionally..

1) You will submit your SF-86, admitting everything.
        2) A computerized check will be done within 72 hours of NCIC and a few other sources to find obvious things, like felony convictions, arrest warrants etc.
        3) A credit report will be run. Note that your score does not matter because they dont even get to see your score. They get an insanely complex looking printout that shows all your debt, bills, etc and whether you're paying them or not. If you're an E-2 and you have a $500k mortgage paid in full as well as an Aston Martin there will be questions
        4) They will begin interviews (for TS only). They will interview neighbors or friends, or ex bosses, etc. The minimum requirement used to be 3 interviews and 2 source interviews derived from those three meaning, they interview three people and get the names of 2 others who might know you from then. I believe the minimum has been reduced to just three.
        4) They will interview you and you will get the opportunity to explain or refute any derogatory info found
        5) Your case is packaged and sent to US Army CCF.

If you're case is 100% clean it will almost entirely adjudicated by a computer, but your case wont be. Those are pretty rare.

so your case will end up on the desk of an adjudicator who will look over it with the whole person concept. You will get one of the following:

1) clearance granted
        2) Clearance granted with a warning
        3) Letter of itent to deny with a statement of reasons attached

If you get #3, you will acknowledge reciept and begin correcting the situation and/or rebutting the allegations.

If its not enough your clearance will be denied and you will have to opportunity to

1) submit additional information for reconsideration (in some cases) and
        2) make a written appeal to the PSAB OR an in person appearance before an administrative judge for appeal.

I've personally made 1 appearance before the judge as an "advisor" to someone and won the case and written up like 4 or 5 rebuttals and won those as well.

90% of them are financial related.

Comment

I left out a few things too. the investigators assigned to your case will visit the court houses/police stations of places you've lived to dig up records, etc.

The average TS case file is about 50 pages or so when its all said and done. Mine was 55 i believe. You can get a complete copy by submitting a FOIA to OPM when its done. They forgot or just didnt black out the names of the people who were interviewed in mine, so I have who said what... just incase

Comment

I should have edited in that it was personal experience. I had bought a new car and had a high mortgage and was denied due to these facts. The car increased my insurance and I was living with about 50 dollars a month to spare. They didnt seem to like that.

Comment

you should have looked me up

Comment

Thanks for everything... Very helpful responses. My credit is good (a few collections from my irresponsible college years, but everything current is current), to put it more specifically my recruiter seems to think that they are going to see my traffic record and essentially say I have no chance (what she called a pre-screen for TS I think). I have already taken my physical, have a certificate showing my "driver intervention program" from 2001, and they began my FBI (fingerprint) background check. What should I expect MEPS to be like, I am planning on trying to contract for 35F and swear in within the next week or so...

Excellent help as usual, thanks again...

Comment

...And to add to my frustration my recruiter seems to be having a very big problem keeping appointments. I was supposed to sit down and prepare / go over all my options yesterday and nothing but a text message later saying she would not be back in the office until Wednesday (we agreed to meet on 07/05 almost a week ago). I have already spoken to her 1SGT and I dislike doing that because it tends to upset people when their superior has to get after them. I am trying my best to be patient but it is tough when I am 5 years older than my recruiter and feel like I need her help to go after this...

Really could use some advice on how / what to do to put pressure on someone to exhaust every possibility for me to enlist as 35f.

Thanks...
                  Last edited by kmac540; July 6th, 2010, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread but I have a few questions:

Background:
                    I failed an army urinalysis back in 2005 for marijuana and cocaine as an E-4. I admitted to smoking marijuana but not to taking the cocaine and told them I thought the pot was laced. I submitted a letter explaining what happened and the steps I would take to prevent the mistake from ever happening again as well as 3 separate letters of recommendation from superiors and peers stating reasons why they felt I should be retained to the JAG Officer assigned to my case. After submitting the information, I received sparse feedback requesting a handful of forms to fill out and fax over, then nothing. I was not reduced in rank or discharged. I never heard about it again and I didn't bring it up. It was an isolated incident which occurred while I was totally intoxicated at a party. In 2007 I went to college and joined ROTC. I had since been promoted to E-5 and wanted to better myself, become an officer, and get a degree.

After contracting as a cadet at ROTC I was made to sign an SF86. My recruiter mentioned that the Professor of Military Science (BN CO) denied anyone who admitted to prior drug use in such a way as to subtext "do not admit to prior drug use or you won't get a scholarship". This was the same song and dance my recruiter gave me when I first joined and, having been in the Army for a while, I checked that I hadn't ever used drugs.
                    My SF86 went through without a hitch and there is nothing on IPerms or in my current or previous personnel folder about it. I commissioned recently and I just received a job offer to a company which requires TS clearance.

The Question(s):
                    Having read enough of these forums, I fully expect the "don't ever lie" response. But I find myself in a catch 22. If I tell the truth, which I would prefer, would my ROTC era SF86 response to the drug question come up? Is there any evidence remaining of my failed urinalysis? If so would I be disqualified from getting TS or worse, discharged from the military for lying on the SF86? I can accept not getting the job, but getting discharged would be absolutely terrible. If I tell the truth can these issues be remedied? Do I have hope of getting a TS without terrible consequence?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
                      I left out a few things too. the investigators assigned to your case will visit the court houses/police stations of places you've lived to dig up records, etc.

The average TS case file is about 50 pages or so when its all said and done. Mine was 55 i believe. You can get a complete copy by submitting a FOIA to OPM when its done. They forgot or just didnt black out the names of the people who were interviewed in mine, so I have who said what... just incase
                      I have a TS and would like to get the copy. What is the link to the FOIA form and address to OPM? I am burnt to research it and since you are in the know; thought you can provide it here.

Comment

Originally posted by reverent View Post
                        Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread but I have a few questions:

Background:
                        I failed an army urinalysis back in 2005 for marijuana and cocaine as an E-4. I admitted to smoking marijuana but not to taking the cocaine and told them I thought the pot was laced. I submitted a letter explaining what happened and the steps I would take to prevent the mistake from ever happening again as well as 3 separate letters of recommendation from superiors and peers stating reasons why they felt I should be retained to the JAG Officer assigned to my case. After submitting the information, I received sparse feedback requesting a handful of forms to fill out and fax over, then nothing. I was not reduced in rank or discharged. I never heard about it again and I didn't bring it up. It was an isolated incident which occurred while I was totally intoxicated at a party. In 2007 I went to college and joined ROTC. I had since been promoted to E-5 and wanted to better myself, become an officer, and get a degree.

After contracting as a cadet at ROTC I was made to sign an SF86. My recruiter mentioned that the Professor of Military Science (BN CO) denied anyone who admitted to prior drug use in such a way as to subtext "do not admit to prior drug use or you won't get a scholarship". This was the same song and dance my recruiter gave me when I first joined and, having been in the Army for a while, I checked that I hadn't ever used drugs.
                        My SF86 went through without a hitch and there is nothing on IPerms or in my current or previous personnel folder about it. I commissioned recently and I just received a job offer to a company which requires TS clearance.

The Question(s):
                        Having read enough of these forums, I fully expect the "don't ever lie" response. But I find myself in a catch 22. If I tell the truth, which I would prefer, would my ROTC era SF86 response to the drug question come up? Is there any evidence remaining of my failed urinalysis? If so would I be disqualified from getting TS or worse, discharged from the military for lying on the SF86? I can accept not getting the job, but getting discharged would be absolutely terrible. If I tell the truth can these issues be remedied? Do I have hope of getting a TS without terrible consequence?

Thanks in advance.
                        IMHO, on what happend to you in the Army, you should not have been selected as a cadet. You mention cocaine and other issues. To me that is not officer material. You even wrote that you checked that you have not even used drugs.

You lucky you made it this far and I believe you are someone that was able to slip right back through the cracks.

Be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                          IMHO, on what happend to you in the Army, you should not have been selected as a cadet. You mention cocaine and other issues. To me that is not officer material. You even wrote that you checked that you have not even used drugs.

You lucky you made it this far and I believe you are someone that was able to slip right back through the cracks.

Be honest.
                          I am not in the military so I don't have an opinion that matters too greatly but I agree with this. You should be honest, I normally wouldn't jump into a post that I really have no place being in but it really aggravates me to see that someone who is enlisted and even worse, wants to be an officer, would get so intoxicated that they would just risk their entire career like you did. I mean, look at my thread, I have jumped through all sorts of hoops just to get to MEPS, and I still may be DQ'd, and I have been training for over a year for my job. Seriously, if you want to be an Officer please consider that you were not only let into the military but are still in it even after what you did, and some of us are being DQ'd because of something as small as ADHD... Saying "I want to better myself now" is not good enough, you should have done that when you joined.

Man up and be honest and take responsibility for your own actions.

Comment

Originally posted by boxinabag View Post
                            I am not in the military so I don't have an opinion that matters too greatly but I agree with this. You should be honest, I normally wouldn't jump into a post that I really have no place being in but it really aggravates me to see that someone who is enlisted and even worse, wants to be an officer, would get so intoxicated that they would just risk their entire career like you did. I mean, look at my thread, I have jumped through all sorts of hoops just to get to MEPS, and I still may be DQ'd, and I have been training for over a year for my job. Seriously, if you want to be an Officer please consider that you were not only let into the military but are still in it even after what you did, and some of us are being DQ'd because of something as small as ADHD... Saying "I want to better myself now" is not good enough, you should have done that when you joined.

Man up and be honest and take responsibility for your own actions.
                            Reverent has already commissioned and is an officer.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                              Reverent has already commissioned and is an officer.
                              I see where I missed that, I was so fixated on the event that I just read over the part stating he was commissioned. Even more of a reason to be honest.

I also want to add that my brother in law is OSI with the Air Force and during his TS Clearance they interviewed multiple people and asked him about his drug use, luckily for him he disclosed this information when he enlisted in 2002. So he was clear to go there.

Comment

Working...
                              X