Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlistment Process

Maybe someone can help me here.

I've mentioned, in an earlier thread, that I am in the process of joining the (Florida) National Guard through the Simultaneous Membership Program. Thus far, I have completed my Path to Honor paperwork and have completed my ASVAB. [The latter was accomplished several weeks ago and the former was just recently amended and I assume finally successfully submitted.]

My recruiter was very insistent in his recommendation that I go through basic training this summer —likely because I will be resuming my college courses this fall and will be starting the Army ROTC program then as well— and had essentially assured me that everything would be worked out to that effect. Well, since that time, I've been in scarce contact with anyone and haven't the slightest notion of what timetable I am dealing with here. [I'm unsure as to what exactly I am waiting for and how long I have.]

If they really wanted me in basic this summer, it increasing looks as though that will not happen. Is anyone aware of how long after the completion of the two aforementioned requisites it takes before I will move along to the next phase of the enlistment process and how long after that it will take before I am even aware of when I may be scheduled to go to basic training?
    Last edited by Acuna; June 26th, 2010, 09:44 PM.

Re: Enlistment Process

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ad.php?t=18368

Idea for how to juggle school and national guard BCT/ AIT. AIT time depends on which MOS you qualify / enlist for.

Comment

I really appreciate the help. It's a relief to know that basic training can be postponed up to a certain period. I assume that my time in service with the Guard will also be postponed until that point as well; though that does not seem too problematic, considering that I am going with the 2-year service option.

I find the enlistment process rather curious, as my ASVAB was scheduled rather quickly, but I've heard nothing back since my Path to Honor paperwork was submitted. By any chance, do you know how long it takes for the relevant parties to review said paperwork and move along to the next phase?

Comment

1) There is no way you're going to BCT this summer.

Financially it would be best for you to complete AIT, and get the R GI bill.

You will end up having to sign a 6 year contract because when you sign your SMP contract, it will extend your enlistment contract 6 years also.

2) Usually the process doesn't take long to move forward. If you don't need any waivers it can be very fast. You may go to meps and swear in on the same day.

Atleast I would say at minimun 2 weeks to enlist.

The SMP program can be complicated make sure you know all your options before signing any contracts. An extra $700 a month goes a long way for a student.
        Last edited by Chaplain4me; June 27th, 2010, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
          1) There is no way you're going to BCT this summer.

Financially it would be best for you to complete AIT, and get the R GI bill.

You will end up having to sign a 6 year contract because when you sign your SMP contract, it will extend your enlistment contract 6 years also.

2) Usually the process doesn't take long to move forward. If you don't need any waivers it can be very fast. You may go to meps and swear in on the same day.

Atleast I would say at minimun 2 weeks to enlist.

The SMP program can be complicated make sure you know all your options before signing any contracts. An extra $700 a month goes a long way for a student.
          Thank you for the advice. My ROTC recruiter actually gave me some really solid guidance on this matter, as well.

I decided not to settle for any reduction in benefits, by choosing to pursue the SMP without BCT/AIT. I've essentially decided on the GRFD with BCT/AIT —which will basically entitle me to the maximum benefits I qualify for. Now that is going to be altering my schedule pretty significantly. Basic training, etc. will be set for the Fall, so I will be having to suspend academia for a semester and finish up on my Associate's degree —as well as knock out my MSI and MSII ROTC semesters— in the Spring. [But, in this matter, the benefits still outweigh the costs.]

I'm supposed to be signing my packet on Wednesday and have my trip to MEPs scheduled thereafter. Now that basic training will be carried out in the Fall, I wonder how long I will be waiting until then.

Comment

Whats the lastest on this? Why are you doing MSI and MSII? That isn't required if you complete BCT and AIT? Little confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Acuna
              Thank you for the advice. My ROTC recruiter actually gave me some really solid guidance on this matter, as well.

I decided not to settle for any reduction in benefits, by choosing to pursue the SMP without BCT/AIT. I've essentially decided on the GRFD with BCT/AIT —which will basically entitle me to the maximum benefits I qualify for. Now that is going to be altering my schedule pretty significantly. Basic training, etc. will be set for the Fall, so I will be having to suspend academia for a semester and finish up on my Associate's degree —as well as knock out my MSI and MSII ROTC semesters— in the Spring. [But, in this matter, the benefits still outweigh the costs.]

I'm supposed to be signing my packet on Wednesday and have my trip to MEPs scheduled thereafter. Now that basic training will be carried out in the Fall, I wonder how long I will be waiting until then.
              You don't need MSI/II if you have been to BCT....

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701
                You don't need MSI/II if you have been to BCT....
                Apparently, I was ill informed on the question. I am nevertheless going to be attending MSI this coming semester —not out of obligation, but out of recommendation— due to the fact that my ship date for OUST has now been delayed until 04 Jan.

Comment

He doesn't have to have MS I/II but ROTC will enroll him into the class that matches with his anticipated graduation date.

Comment

Working...
                  X