X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery

About a month ago, I had surgery to fix a kidney problem.

If the doctor says that the problem is fixed and I'm qualified for active duty, will MEPS accept this determination, require a waiver submittal, or simply decline my application?

Re: Surgery

Originally posted by Nathan
    About a month ago, I had surgery to fix a kidney problem.

If the doctor says that the problem is fixed and I'm qualified for active duty, will MEPS accept this determination, require a waiver submittal, or simply decline my application?

Not for 6 months to a year

Comment

It depends.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/613003p.pdf

~ page 25

Comment

Here it is (page 26):

(5) Current or history of hydronephrosis (591).

Unless otherwise stipulated, the conditions listed in this enclosure are those that do NOT meet the standard by virtue of current diagnosis, or for which the candidate has a verified past medical history.

Hmm, that's not good.

Comment

Go ahead, sure the condition is disqualifying but the meps doctor orders a consult and depending on what mood I am in, I may approve the funds if in excess of $1500. (If < $1500, they don't need permission for funding.)

If you are a special category applicant: JAG, AMEDD or Chaplain Corps I always approve.

But if you have any other problems, moral waivers and not much to offer the military, in terms of already trained expertise, you pay for the urology study out of your own expense. Then that documentation goes to the waiver board. The service makes the final decision.

I will say that if one is set to have 11b in their contract, I am more apt to approve. But if the cost is 3k or there are other waivers in the packet, I don't.

Comment

I'm an OCS candidate with no prior service. No other waivers, moral or otherwise, are applicable. However, for some reason, my blood pressure is sometimes high when tested, but I do not take or require medication.

I will obtain the necessary tests privately and forward the information to my recruiter who, I assume, will forward it to MEPS.

Comment

Working...
            X