X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I ever get back in?

I was a month and one week into BCT when I was discharged because I was having anxiety problems and could not sleep. The DS noticed how fatigued I was and suggested that I get a psych consult. one week later It was determined that I was not fit for duty at the time and was sent home. My dd-214 says "Uncharacterized Discharge, RE-3, code JFW". Can anyone give me any info. I do not wish to reenlist at this time, I would like to know for the future. I am 23 and have plenty of time to figure this out.

P.S. I never have anxiety issues at home. This just started happening during BCT. I saw a shrink during my parents divorce because my parents thought it would be good for me.... thats about as far as my past goes.

Re: Will I ever get back in?

Originally posted by at4user
    I was a month and one week into BCT when I was discharged because I was having anxiety problems and could not sleep. The DS noticed how fatigued I was and suggested that I get a psych consult. one week later It was determined that I was not fit for duty at the time and was sent home. My dd-214 says "Uncharacterized Discharge, RE-3, code JFW". Can anyone give me any info. I do not wish to reenlist at this time, I would like to know for the future. I am 23 and have plenty of time to figure this out.

P.S. I never have anxiety issues at home. This just started happening during BCT. I saw a shrink during my parents divorce because my parents thought it would be good for me.... thats about as far as my past goes.
    I'm no recruiter, but that doesn't sound too good.

Comment

I had a RE-3 JFW when I re-enlisted. The process took forever. Granted, if it's a mental/psych issue, it's going to be a different boat. I had stress fractures.

You could talk to a recruiter, but who's to say it isn't going to happen again? That's what you're going to need to prove to MEPS.

Comment

Of course it's possible for you to get back in. But before you start talking to a recruiter and plan your future out, you need to have a little "me" time and decide whether or not this is really something you want to do. Clearly your first go around didn't play out very well, but if you truly believe it was just one of those things, get back on the horse.

Either way, I wish you luck on whichever avenue you decide.

To put this in perspective for you however, I know a Marine that attempted suicide and was discharged from the Marine Corps who got his act together and is now an Army reservist.
        Last edited by SFC_Wilson; August 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Do you know what caused the anxiety? Did you have it the whole time you were there and it just finally caught up with you?

Comment

I had the normal anxiety from the minute I got there. Everyone gets it from what I hear. But it finally just caught up to me. I have always been around family so being so far away tripled what i felt.

Comment

Originally posted by killbodies3027
              Of course it's possible for you to get back in. But before you start talking to a recruiter and plan your future out, you need to have a little "me" time and decide whether or not this is really something you want to do. Clearly your first go around didn't play out very well, but if you truly believe it was just one of those things, get back on the horse.

Either way, I wish you luck on whichever avenue you decide.

To put this in perspective for you however, I know a Marine that attempted suicide and was discharged from the Marine Corps who got his act together and is now an Army reservist.
              Yea Im takin some me time for sure. Just working a part time job right now and getting some counseling to maybe see if I have a big problem or not. Kinda freaks me out cause I have never been like that before.
              Last edited by SFC_Wilson; August 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I guess my other question is... I would like to try to get a job on the local Fire Department. Will the Discharge look bad? Can they use that as a reason not to hire me? I would assume that I would have to give them the DD214 Member 4 because they are city Government and it only says what I put in the first post Plus "member has not completed first full term of service".

Comment

I had the normal anxiety from the minute I got there. Everyone gets it from what I hear. But it finally just caught up to me. I have always been around family so being so far away tripled what i felt.
                  I hear ya. Im assuming my anxiety will go nutz. I have a heck of a time trying to sleep at drill.
                  Anyways dont give up and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gforces
                    I hear ya. Im assuming my anxiety will go nutz. I have a heck of a time trying to sleep at drill.
                    Anyways dont give up and good luck.
                    Just try and stay relaxed on personal time. If I could go back I would do things differently. Dont let people in your bay get on your nerves either. There will be a lot of stupid people around you. Just ignore 75% of them. Just listen to the DS's.

Comment

Ok...if basic training was too stressful for you, are you sure a firefighter is the best career path for you?

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO
                        Ok...if basic training was too stressful for you, are you sure a firefighter is the best career path for you?

Yea im sure. lol. I can bring family to the fire department. :-P

Comment

I believe RSP NCO was asking if you could handle getting a call in the station of a multiple car accident, a house burning with kids inside, etc. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your family will not be riding along with you.

The question is whether you can keep your anxiety in check while you roll to that call.
                          Last edited by Wobbly Emu; May 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu
                            I believe RSP NCO was asking if you could handle getting a call in the station of a multiple car accident, a house burning with kids inside, etc. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your family will not be riding along with you.

The question is whether you can keep your anxiety in check while you roll to that call.

I was kidding with him. Yea. The problem I was having in basic was never being far from home. I had all the people I needed within 50 miles of my house. being 700+ miles away took its tole not to mention Basic training itself. Back here at home I am fine. You wouldnt even notice if I even had a normal bout of anxiety. I think Im gonna take some of the money I made a travel away from this state. Or maybe it just wasnt for me. Who knows. But my question still remains... will the discharge screw up my chances there?

Comment

What do you want to hear? Truth or a lie? The national guard itself is over strength by 12-13K. They are accepting some waviers on a case by case basis.

How long ago were you sent home (discharged)? I would say get your life squared away. What I mean give yourself some serious time to work on your issues. Does that mean give up on your dream? Absolutely not!

Go back to school and get an education. Nothing better than working a full time job, going to school full time, and balancing family time. Stressful, yet you learn to maximize your time (time management).

If community college or a university isn't for you go to a trade school (JVS adult education) learn a craft and master it. Volunteer your time church, school, and hospital. This allows for you to NETWORK and gain valuable contacts. Allow some time for "old wounds to heal" then continue to work hard, take care of your family, and pay your bills!

In the next 3-5 years things maybe different as far as recruiting numbers, waivers, and conflicts. Not everybody is cut out to do this type of work. Like a wise man once said "you gotta want it like a fat kid wants cake"!

Don't take this as being hateful...Big difference being in the army than being a volunteer FM/EMS and being in LE. Military reserves the right to discriminate and at times can be crass, and to the point. Military is no place for the sick, lame, or lazy!
                              Last edited by SFC_Wilson; August 7th, 2011, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X