X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still confused about this

So, I want to enlist Active First as 21B or 13B. Again another MOS was pulled off the list. I've heard that it varies state to state (which would be odd because I'll be going Active Duty) and I thought it was based on their critical jobs list. But at the same time it would make sense because transistioning back to the Guard would then make it varying in different states plausible and my recruiter said that I would be "competing" for a slot with the whole country rather than just the state. I trust his word, its just that I've heard those two and both make sense to me somewhat.

Re: Still confused about this

I don't know, but a question. Are you going active for 2, 3, or 4 years? I'm only asking because if you go for at least 3 years, you can earn 100% of the new GI bill.

The way I read the info. if you go 3 years, your training time counts, BUT if you are active less than 3 years, your training time does not count. Theoretically, if you went 2 years Activefirst, but the first 6 months were IET, you would only get credit for 18 months of AD for purposes of the new GI bill. (24-6= 18).

just something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by 49thadband
      I don't know, but a question. Are you going active for 2, 3, or 4 years? I'm only asking because if you go for at least 3 years, you can earn 100% of the new GI bill.

The way I read the info. if you go 3 years, your training time counts, BUT if you are active less than 3 years, your training time does not count. Theoretically, if you went 2 years Activefirst, but the first 6 months were IET, you would only get credit for 18 months of AD for purposes of the new GI bill. (24-6= 18).

just something to think about.
      Active First is only for 3 years active, 3 years guard

Comment

I think someone has already suggested this but...

Is there a reason that you're not just enlisting in the active duty army? You could do a 2 or 4 year active contract and then re-up with the guard during your time in IRR. Plus it'd be easier for active army to find a spot for you in the MOS that you want.

Comment

Its just the right option for me. It will save some hassle down the road for me, it has 2 of the 3 MOS's I want. My ultimate goal is to get whatever ammount of schooling I can get online while active and then use my time in the Guard to finish school and then do Green to Gold. Another reason is that the AD Army recruiting office by my house is a complete joke and they didn't take me seriously even when I knew things that probably every other recruit had no idea about that walked in the office. My new recruiter knows whats up and he knows that I know whats up and doesn't try to bull**** me or sugar coat anything.

Comment

if you are going 3 years Active Duty, the new GI bill should cover the remainder of your degree, correct?

Why do you need Green to Gold? Or can you do Green to Gold while you are doing the new GI Bill?

Actually, for those of us who have no real knowledge of green to gold, can you explain what it means?

Maybe it's better than the new GI bill?

thanks

Comment

Working...
            X