X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard Versus Army Active Duty

I have some questions regarding enlisting in the the Guard versus Army. I understand the major differences and pros and cons of each. However, still need some clarity on the following.

1. I can get a contract with the Army to send me straight to OCS following BCT. Can the guard offer the same? I am 34 and will be 35 in November. Is there an age issue with OCS for the Guard?

2. How is retirement impacted with part-time service in the guard?

3. How long of a contract will I need to sign with the Guard?

4. Can someone give me more information about being active duty with the guard and explain how active duty time impacts my retirement and contract length?

I think that is all for now. I appreciate any insight you may have.

Re: Guard Versus Army Active Duty

Some more experienced people here can answer your questions fully, but in the meantime:

1. Yes. You'd speak with your recruited about the 09s enlistment option. It gives you the opportunity to attend OCS after BCT. There are 3 options as well for OCS: State - After Basic, you'll attend OCS courses one weekend a month and two weeks a year in your state for about a year and a half. Accelerated - 7 days a week for 8 weeks straight. Federal - 12 weeks at Ft. Benning (this is the OCS that AD army goes through). EDIT: I'm pretty sure the maximum age for enlistment for non-prior service is 42, so I'm sure you're okay there. Also, you'll need a bachelors degree or coursework towards one to qualify for 09s.

2. Not entirely sure, but I know you'll make a percentage of whatever your highest rank was when you retire (after 20 years).

3. Every contract in the military is 8 years. The difference is the amount of time that you'll spend "active" and in "individual ready reserve". The guard has a couple of different options, but the most common are 3 years or 6 years "active" with the remaining time in ready reserve. If you're considering 09s, you'll most likes have a 6-2 contract - 6 years actively drilling (one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year) and a couple deployments/mobilizations, and 2 years in IRR which is basically where you don't actively drill but they can call you up if needed.

4. Not sure on this one either.
    Last edited by mheathershaw; March 10th, 2010, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Wonderful, thanks! I have a graduate degree so education is covered. I know the enlistment age is 42, but I wondered if the age to attend or be accepted into OCS was 34 (seems like I read that on the Army site somewhere).

I knew I would have more questions...If I decide to enlist in active duty attend BCT, then complete OCS (in the accelerated program) would I then complete my 2 years active duty requirement then be able to transition into active drilling status or is that easier than it sounds?

Comment

This is the Army. Nothing is as easy as you would think.

Comment

Thanks, I do not anticipate training or anything about the experience to be easy--without a doubt.

My question was more meant to ask if making that transition would be met with resistance or if it is a somewhat normal course of action.

Comment

I believe that the age limit for commissioning is 42 as coded into law, so no matter how many years of service, once you hit 42, you cannot commission.

Now with the current limit being 35 (possibly), it can be waived, and from my understanding, it's a fairly routine waiver, and easy to get.

I'm an 09S and am currently in phase 0 of OCS. It is not a gentleman's course by any means. So be ready. I'm only just getting started and I can easily see that I'm going to get my butt kicked every drill. It's extremely physically and mentally demanding.

We were briefed by the class getting ready to graduate last weekend, and if 50% of what they briefed is true, it's a tough course. Entirely different mentality from basic, and different head games.

Comment

mheathershaw - Federal OCS is twelve weeks now, not forteen.

Spinks, is your fourth question asking about prior-service active time or a full time NG job?

Originally posted by spinks
              I knew I would have more questions...If I decide to enlist in active duty attend BCT, then complete OCS (in the accelerated program) would I then complete my 2 years active duty requirement then be able to transition into active drilling status or is that easier than it sounds?
              If you enlist active duty you won't be attending the accelerated OCS as that is a National Guard school. You would go to Ft Benning for 12 weeks. Then you would be discharged from the Army, commissioned and immediately sign a new officer contract with an eight year obligation.

Comment

Working...
              X