X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-ho Hi-ho it's off to meps we go

Well, the battle rages on. I was just at the recruiters office filling out all my W-4 forms, life insurance, etc all the stuff needed for swear-in.

On the 17th I'm going up, check into the hotel and psych consult/swear in on the 18th, assuming I pass.

I'm worried as ****, since I've read one horror story about fort hamilton psych consults on this forum, but others say not to worry. We'll see.

Re: Hi-ho Hi-ho it's off to meps we go

Good luck and as usual, let us know how it goes.

Comment

I went to Fort Hamilton MEPS about six times (Had elbow surgery a long while ago, and apparently they wanted a separate visit for just about everything between consultations, x-rays etc

It's not such a bad place, just very busy. Lots of possible Joe's.

You'll get through most of the stuff pretty quickly, and then end up sitting in the waiting room with a T.V stuck on the weather channel that says "DO NOT TOUCH ME - PROPERTY OF THE USMC" and have to look at some female Marine Recruiter mean muggin you from her office inside the same room.

Aside from that, enjoy your cold turkey sandwich and don't get shy when its time to pee - it'll be a long day. If you get there extremely early, and move with a little pep in your step and manage to be first in the shoot , you'll be thankful for it. I got through the whole Blood Pressure/Eye/Ear exam in about 20 minutes flat (Arguably a MEPS world record).

Comment

been through that part, just coming back for a psych consult. I have an open profile. Because of my discharge (and the waiver it required for misconduct) I have to have a psych consult to see if I need a psych waiver or not. Psych waiver = no-go in NJ right now.

FYI, that USMC sign is still there. The doctor is that asian guy who yells real loud alot.

Comment

Good luck Show stopper! Hope all works out for you!

Comment

Thanks Quantum, if you have any insights on the psych consult, I'd appreciate it, but I'd expect it's entirely going to depend on me and my situation.

Comment

Good luck man

Comment

Good luck man can't wait till i go.

Comment

Thanks alot guys. I'm getting kinda nervous about it. Creepy to feel that one person will have a 10 minute sit-down chat with me and make a decision that will have such a tremendous shift on my life.

Especially when the only one I know who went to Fort Hamilton for it didnt go so well!

Comment

for future reference, incase anyone needs it, this is what I was told by an ex-active duty recruiter for many years, now in iraq:

"Actually, psych consults are usually nothing to worry about. Most doctors at meps will refer you for a number of different reasons. It sounds like, in your case, they reffed you for your discharge (unless there is something else I dont know about) and that's nothing to worry about. typically the consult will only take a few minutes before the doctor approves you and sends you on your way. I have had people referred to psych for everything from an off colored tattoo to "self mutilation" for having larger earings in their ears or self inflicted burn marks (brands) and as long as you are not a threat to yourself, you will be fine.

The only psych consults I have seen dissaproved are for people that have a history of anti-social behavior or manic depressive behavior. or for people who have attempted suicide in the past. I would say that as long as you are honest and show that you lead a normal life, you have nothing to worry about."
                    Spelling and any emphasis is his, not mine

Comment

Going tbhrough the gates of fort hamilton as we speak. Will update when I can

Comment

nice hope everything goes good dude!!!!

Comment

Waitin on conttract and next enlistment ceremony. Fully qualified going 09

Comment

W0000000t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats Man!!!!

Comment

I'm just starting my paprework but I hpoe to be shipping soon. My mos will be 13b or 13m. I don't know much about 13m. Does anyone here know?

Comment

Working...
                              X