X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GED Plus Program?

I apologize for the long story in advance. Right now I'm 23 years old, I'm working for a martial art school as an instructor, I'm in good shape, and I'm ready to finally do something with my life that will make me feel like more of a man and independent.

My situation right now is that I was basically screwed over by my parents in school. They home schooled me, but only had me learn from text books, because they were always working. So I haven't exactly had your traditional teacher and student education. So such subjects as mathematics, and everything I've had to learn for myself. Math is really the only thing I need work on though.

But with that said, I do not have my HSD (highschool diploma) or GED. I've been going to a community college that's been helping me with my skills in math. So my question is, given my situation, is the GED Plus Program something for me?
    Because right now if I were to get my GED, then earn enough college credits equivalent to a HSD (15 credits I believe), I'd be able to join. Problem with that is that I'll be 25 or 26, and that's getting a little old? And it's difficult to afford college right now.

But anyway, feel free to tell me I'm s*** outta luck if need be haha. This is just something I'm exploring right now. But if it's a realistic option, I'd jump into it. I would love the opportunity to serve my country, and not be denied just because of crappy past situations that were out of my control as a child.

Thanks for your time!

Jake

Re: GED Plus Program?

Originally posted by JakeTKD
    Problem with that is that I'll be 25 or 26, and that's getting a little old?
    You'll find that there are more than a few people here that were that age if not older when they joined. I'm hopefully joining soon and I'll be 26 in April.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by mheathershaw
      You'll find that there are more than a few people here that were that age if not older when they joined. I'm hopefully joining soon and I'll be 26 in April.

Good luck.
      That actually does make me feel better hearing that, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTKD
        That actually does make me feel better hearing that, thanks!
        I'm 25, I'll be 26 in August. I leave for 11bravo next week. Age really is just a number. Besides if you want to think about it that way, most pro athletes are considered in their prime in their mid to late twenties. I'll tell you what I did..I took the asvab and did fairly well, got a 85. Signed up and enlisted in the GED Plus program. After meps I went and took my state GED. I passed that with honors and took my transcripts to my recruiter, got the ged plus program dropped. I guess that's what you call working the system.

Keep your head up, stay focused..and make it happen.

Good luck to you!
        Last edited by np_02; February 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by np_02
          After meps I went and took my state GED. I passed that with honors and took my transcripts to my recruiter, got the ged plus program dropped. I guess that's what you call working the system.
          I wouldnt put this out there...there was a memo that came out specifically stating not to do this. Recruiters could get in trouble for it...doesnt mean they still dont do it though.

Comment

i turn 30 in one week exactly. i leave for 21 Bang bang in less than 3 weeks. age is just a number. i can run circles around most 18-20 year olds plus i have more heart and dicipline than most. don't get age bother you. i say go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by np_02
              I'm 25, I'll be 26 in August. I leave for 11bravo next week. Age really is just a number. Besides if you want to think about it that way, most pro athletes are considered in their prime in their mid to late twenties. I'll tell you what I did..I took the asvab and did fairly well, got a 85. Signed up and enlisted in the GED Plus program. After meps I went and took my state GED. I passed that with honors and took my transcripts to my recruiter, got the ged plus program dropped. I guess that's what you call working the system.

Keep your head up, stay focused..and make it happen.

Good luck to you!
              Thanks man! I won't exactly do it the same way haha, but I'll see what I can do. I was just hoping I could join while I was a GED holder, but if not then the college credits is the only option. Regardless, I'll get there one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by PFC Nothstein
                i turn 30 in one week exactly. i leave for 21 Bang bang in less than 3 weeks. age is just a number. i can run circles around most 18-20 year olds plus i have more heart and dicipline than most. don't get age bother you. i say go for it.
                The reason why it worries me is because my ex girlfriend's father made us break up because he didn't think I was getting any where. But it's true, age is just a number.

Comment

Working...
                X