Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40YO cancer survivor

Hello Everyone,

I've been seriously thinking of signing up for the NG for the past 1.5 years.

Why think this long? My son got pretty upset when I told him I was thinking of joining just over a year ago and asked what he thought. I mentioned it to him again recently and he said "If you want to, then do it".

Why didn't I even sooner? Wasn't really interested.

I am currently 40, in decent shape weight wise. Ran a hilly 9 minute mile when I wanted to know where I ranked (I'll work on it, plus I heard is how far you can run is more important than how fast). Push-ups/sit-ups are no problem (still working on getting the numbers even higher though). Testicular cancer removed 7.5 years ago by a really early diagnosis and only 1 month of optional, but recommended, radiation as a "just in case the cancer went farther". Been cancer free ever since but due for another CT scan now. I will schedule it soon. Getting a physical on the 8th of Feb.

What are my chances of getting in? Wanted to know before I got way too into the idea. I know cancer is a red flag but being a decent amount of time ago....
    Last edited by Smitty; January 29th, 2010, 09:52 PM.

Re: 40YO cancer survivor

I knew a guy back during my rotc days who came into the program when he was 26 he was orginally accpeted to West Point a couple of years ago but he developed brain cancer and obiously had to stay home for cancer treatment. He was able to contract into ROTC and should be commisiong at the end of this semester so I suppose that it is possible to do but you should go see a recruiter asap what I would personally be more concerned about would be your age because your really close to the max age, it's been fluctuation back and forth between 35 and 42.

Comment

Will do! I talked to one a year ago and he thought it would be good to get a checkup with an all clear before going on with it. Since the checkup is happening soon, I'll get the ball rolling. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty
        Will do! I talked to one a year ago and he thought it would be good to get a checkup with an all clear before going on with it. Since the checkup is happening soon, I'll get the ball rolling. Thanks for the tip.
        History of malignant tumors is disqualifying, regardless of age. If a waiver is needed, expect it to delay your application. Apply early and get to MEPS to see what you need waived.

Comment

Thanks. I guess I should get off my butt if I'm going to do it.

Comment

Working...
          X