X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Psych Consult Requirement

So given my current status, with enlistment pending a psych consult I did some digging into regulations, etc. this is what I came up with.

As of September 2009, anyone who can answer YES to these questions will be referred for a psych consult unless it's obviously clear that its not needed, The example being that "the applicant was suspended for school because the second offense of a uniform violation was mandatory suspension"

The questions:

1) have you ever been depressed or down every day for 2 weeks
    2) in the past two weeks were you depressed or down nearly every day?
    3) Were you ever much less interested or unable to enjoy things as much nearly every day for two weeks?
    4) In the past 2 weeks were you ever (same question as 3)
    5) Have you ever deliberately cut, burned or harmed yourself
    6) Have you ever considered suicide?
    7)Have you ever been arrested?
    8) Have you ever been suspended from school?
    9) Have you ever been fired from your job?
    10) Have you ever been kicked out of your home?
    11) Have you ever had three or more traffic violations?
    12) Have you ever had trouble sleeping nearly every night for two weeks?

The questions in bold are the questions I answered YES too, I had in school suspension a few times ranging from being late to class >4 times in a year to fighting, and I've been arrested before.

Number 11 is going to get A LOT of people!

Re: The Psych Consult Requirement

Maybe its like you said for the reasoning. I answered yes for fighting because of a racial slur. And being kicked out of home due to wanting to break my lease on purpose. So yeah im leaning a little more to reasoning after answering the questions yes. Didnt have to get a consult for those though. Needed a consult for another question i answered yes too...

Comment

How did your consult go? Did you need a waiver or did they let you right in? Was it quick?

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
        How did your consult go? Did you need a waiver or did they let you right in? Was it quick?
        Im waiting on my consult to get my waiver as we speak. Recruiter told me I have to see a pysch they are going to ask me a few questions and I will get my results after the eval is over. After that he will ,depending on how every thing goes, right his opinion on my waiver and it will get sent back up to NGB. But he said its all about how you answer the questions. But he said its quick because there are other people who need consults as well so its usually straight to the point and your out. They just address the issues that need clarification.

Comment

Excellent. As it stands right now, I'm told that my consult is precautionary and if I come out alright there's no waiver requirement I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
            Excellent. As it stands right now, I'm told that my consult is precautionary and if I come out alright there's no waiver requirement I guess.
            Dude thats good! At least you wont have to wait like me. I figured just I would just tell the psych how it is and ill pass. But ill run it by my recruiter first because they know more about these things than I do so they will probably have some good tips for you.

Comment

Eh don't worry were all a little crazy now and then....

Comment

Hahahaha!

Yeah we'll see. I was told by the career counselor that they were pretty routine since that form was developed, but I've kinda resigned to the fact that it might not happen. I'll go and give it my best though. I know the interview wont be a problem. I dont have any issues, I'm gainfully employed and far ahead of my peers in my career, I'm happily married to a faithful wife, I have pets that are well taken care of, I'm close with all my friends and family and really the only thing I ever have to complain about is the traffic. The craziest thing I do is probably the trash talking while playing Modern Warfare 2 with a bunch of friends of mine from a prior duty station.

I'm not depressed, I'm not angry, I dont have financial troubles. In fact, I was laying in bed last night just thinking that I've really got all that I want and am content with things. I'm doing the guard out of patriotism primarily, the other is to help over write the USAF discharge and to help others who may face similar troubles later. If I can help one soldier get on the right path before he takes the route I did, then I'll have saved alot of pain and anguish. I guess it's a sense of community that I feel.

My primary concern is I'll go back, get a consult which will come back fine and the meps doc will stay say "ahh well we want you to get a waiver" and then it's back to the start.

Although I may be disqualified when the doc finds out that I sometimes dress like Mr. Rogers for work.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a suit and tie. Now the sweater and "boat sneakers" once you get home then "Houston we might have a problem".

Comment

Answered yes to 11 and nothing came of it.

Comment

Good luck man, Im in a similar boat but I've never been able to get a consult directly from meps before. The whole process does get frustrating...

Comment

Well Chris the important thing is that you tried to get back in at least. Hey at least you still work for the Army so thats something to be proud of.

Comment

Yep, I'm going to try, I've just realized that there's a chance this could shoot it down, even though they say it's just routine.

As far as work for the Army, well I'm getting notice today or tomorrow that my 4th PCS for the Army as a civilian has arrived. At this rate I'm moving as much as a soldier but this is because of BRAC shutting down Fort Monmouth. I'm looking forward to it.

At any rate, I'll keep pursuing the guard. They say it's routine for my discharge type, the fact that i've been arrested before, etc and that it should be no problem for me, so I got a bit discouraged. I like momentum and that certainly put a stop to mine!

Comment

Well at least you got into better shape from all this so the quality of your life has gone up I'm would say.

Comment

Well I'm not that given up yet. I am enjoying myself this weekend, because I basically cut out anything bad in my diet. So I'll take this weekend as a break then get back on track.

As much as I'd like to be discouraged and think this is a closed book, my recruiter was told to call back later to get the docs schedule and put me on the schedule for a consult.

I'm sure the fact that I'll make it clear that anything in my past is at least 7 years old or older will make a difference. Even if it doesnt work now...there's always the next war. It may be a year or two before they surge somewhere else, but I could go 13 years and still be of age to commission. Sometime during that time there will be an increase in waivers again.

Comment

Working...
                              X