X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking forAnswers

I have been working with 2 different NG recruiters trying to get into the TN NG.

My background:

Enlisted in 1977 into the Regular Army. Graduated BCT and AIT. Accepted to USMAPS, graduated went to USMA, graduated 1984 with RA commission. Graduated IOBC etc, IOAC, commanded, staff time.

Transferred into IRR 1992, passed over to MAJ for second time 1998 and put into the Retired Rolls.

Started working with Retention NCO for 1/278 CAV AUG 2009. He changed jobs getting ready to deploy with Unit. Transferred to NG recruiter in town south of where I live. Took physical and passed, took ASVAB again and passed. Interviewed with unit XO and was told I have a slot as an E-5 in sniper section of 1/278. Told that the CDR and XO were looking for me to arrive. Also told to all I have to do wait until Oct for waivers to open up--told to wait through Thanksgiving, then Christmas and New Years for St. Louis to finish packet.

Now being told to wait until the unit has to finish the deployment packets for those going overseas before they get to me and my waiver.

I am really getting the impression that this is not going anywhere. Is there any way or anything I can do to find status or help get this going?

I want to serve, but really getting discouraged.

Any advice?

Re: Looking forAnswers

Sir, welcome to the forums. I had a LTC that wanted back in, he wasnt out that long, but didnt have a home for him. He wanted in so bad, he resigned his commission and is now a SSG. It was the only option for him, but he just wanted it and doesnt have the ego trip, its actually worked out pretty well. The funny part is the New Privates he had when he was a Batt Cdr, are now his Section Leaders.. Ha ha.. He is the only E6, that we will forever call Sir.

Comment

Re: Looking for Answers

Hey, I would be proud to be an NCO, that would be fantastic. A world without generating Powerpoints in the BN Staff Meetings.

I just want to know if I can get back in or if my case is just too hard for the recruiters I have been working with.

Comment

You made a thread for yourself...so why do you need to spam the same line in half a dozen other ones? To include threads that are nearly a year old.

Comment

Yeah, just saw that line in I don't know how many other posts.... c'mon now.

Honestly, something doesn't smell right. Sucks that you didn't make major twice but I have never heard of a USMA graduate having such a hard time with thier career. And the fact that the Army overall is bleeding Capts like there's no tomorrow.....

Comment

Thanks.

I will try to delete the copied posts.

Any advice on how I could get into the National Guard?

Comment

From my experience, waivers are a real pain in the *** for all parties involved. Including the lone person waiting for it to be approved. Even the simplest of waivers can go for months before being approved or disapproved. I got into the Guard after waiting for months on a waiver. And it was by pure luck that my state opened up for two weeks to fill the NG's annual recruiting goal since other states weren't cutting it, and my state has always met the year end goal. Otherwise I'd probably still be waiting on the waiver.

So my best advice is just to keep in touch with your recruiters. It seems like they're doing something to help you along with this vice the recruiter that ignores you and doesn't return phone calls.

Comment

Thank you.

Do you know if there is any way I can check on the status of the waiver myself?

How would I find out if there were opportunities for me to get in in other states? Do the windows like you described open off and on during the year or is it a year end filling the faces and places requirement?

It does seem odd that with all the multiple deployments and training cycles the Army has been doing for the last 10 years, it is so difficult for someone to contribute and get back in.

Thanks again for your response--

Comment

Originally posted by jesmith
                  Thank you.

Do you know if there is any way I can check on the status of the waiver myself?

How would I find out if there were opportunities for me to get in in other states? Do the windows like you described open off and on during the year or is it a year end filling the faces and places requirement?

It does seem odd that with all the multiple deployments and training cycles the Army has been doing for the last 10 years, it is so difficult for someone to contribute and get back in.

Thanks again for your response--
                  Your recruiter knows the status of your waiver....or can get you that information within a day or two. I contacted my recruiter once a week to every other week to get an update.

Opportunities in others states vary. You'll have to contact recruiters in those states to find out. I do know that North Dakota for the longest time has been wanting more recruits. But that's because I've heard about it in MN here. It all depends on how far you're willing to travel. Some people like to try and get around by joining another state then moving to a unit in their home state. But it's not a guarantee you'll be able to do that.

Trust me...the whole reason why it's difficult to enlist if you need a waiver is because the Guard has suddenly become a popular thing to join. My recruiter attributes it to the poor economy. And with it being popular, the bar is raised for who can enlist.

Comment

Thank you

Looking at other postings, it looks like there are local, state and federal levels of waiver approval depending of the nature of the wavier.

I think because my file was moved into the retired rolls from the IRR, I am now waiting for a Federal waiver approval. I am not drawing any retirement checks, I am just another line item on the master roster.

The good news is that I am already getting mail from JUMPS to automate my LES, so it looks like it goes back to PERSCOM

Now the big question-- how do you go about getting someone in St. Louis to say "Hey, we got a guy that sports a pretty good looking DD 214, can pass every test we give him, that has worked in agriculture and agricultural processing since he hung up his uniform, worked as an EMT and on HAZMAT teams in his free time and is willing to kiss his family, job and community good bye to help support the overall mission anywhere we choose in any capacity we assign him. He has (or had) a slot in a unit training up to deploy to Iraq right now. What do we have to loose? Dust off that Yes stamp and give him a shot."

To everyone out there in all seriousness--other than talking with my recruiter, is there anything I can do? Letters, personal visits, letters of recommendation, promises what?

Again, thank you

Comment

Working...
                    X