X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prior service

I have a couple questions if someone could help.
    Is the Try one option gone?
    What is the age limit now for prior service, I have 9 years in?
    Sorry if these have been answered but I haven't been here for a while and get conflicting responses when I search.

Re: prior service

I don't know an answer to your Try One question and wasn't able to find anything on the Guard website, but that doesn't mean anything.

As far as the age limit for Prior Service, your best bet would be to talk to a recruiter, or you can go to this link: http://www.nationalguard.com/careers/become-a-soldier
    and talk to one of the soldiers online to ask them any questions you may have. I have been hearing for the age limit that there are some soldiers able to come in late 30s, early 40s, but that is just what I have heard. Like I said, you best bet would be to contact a recruiter. Best of luck and thank you for your previous time in the service!

EDIT:
    After viewing the entire site map for the Guard site, I finally found this in the FAQ (but still can't find the section on Prior Service...):
    Q: Am I too old to join?
    A: It depends on your objective in enlisting. If your goal is to accrue time toward retirement benefits, you must be able to complete 20 combined years of service by the age 60. For example, if you have twelve years of service already, you need to be no older than 52 to join and receive your retirement. If retirement benefits are not your objective in joining, your maximum age will depend on your specific service history. No two situations are alike. Please speak to a recruiter to discuss how your age affects your enlistment.
    Last edited by shortnsweet8; January 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I don't remember them removing the Try One option. The subject hasn't been brought up here in a long time.

Comment

With recruiting numbers being met, the try one program was suspended until the very end of the FY when they needed 600 extra to meet the year end quota. That's how I enlisted back in September. Upon a talk with my recruiter back on Thursday, he mentioned the program was suspended again...I assume for the same reasons.

However, it may still be available for those states who are not reaching their recruiting numbers. So to get the latest information on that, speak to your recruiter. Otherwise, consider joining the North Dakota National Guard.

Comment

I'm in Massachusetts and I swore in under the Try One on 10 December. The policies governing recruiting are very fluid, however, and can change literally day to day.

Comment

Originally posted by wdemr
            I have a couple questions if someone could help.
            Is the Try one option gone?
            What is the age limit now for prior service, I have 9 years in?
            Sorry if these have been answered but I haven't been here for a while and get conflicting responses when I search.

too easy

with nine years in your max age is 51
            the "try one" option is no longer out there as an enlistment, but since you have completed your MSO, you are eligable for an one year enlistment

Comment

Working...
            X