X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions to ask?

there are probably positions open close to your home.

so,

68W
    11X
    and.....56M LOL jk

13B????

have you considered EOD?

Comment

mayb 13B but definately not 89D my hands r 2 shaky i can shoot the wings off a fly but theres no way i could take apart a bomb

Comment

Infantry is the queen of battle, but artillery is the king of battle.

Telling you when the 155mm goes off you'll forget all about anything else. Shake and bake.

"Aplha 19 this is Bravo 67, Immediate supression, Grid 139456, over."

That's all it takes to rain pain down on the enemy.

Gun rock is a cool mos. You should think about it.

Comment

Ask detailed questions, most recruits feel "screwed" by the recruiter as they didn't ask detailed questions.

Since you have a bachelor's degree, can you get tuition assistance? Will they pay the full amount for tuition assistance? What other education benefits exist in the CA NG (tuition waivers)? Do they apply to the school you're attending?

As far as the MOS, can you split op? Will your AIT start or end in a school year? Since you're probably not joining a medical unit, what kind of unit are you joining? Can you visit the unit? Where is the unit in the mob process (just came back or is scheduled in 2 years)?

Bonuses. Are they tied to the MOS or are they tied to the unit? What is the pay out schedule? If you attend OCS or leave the CA NG, will you have to pay any money back?

A good recruiter may not know all the answers but would be willing to find out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg
            Since you have a bachelor's degree, can you get tuition assistance? Will they pay the full amount for tuition assistance? What other education benefits exist in the CA NG (tuition waivers)? Do they apply to the school you're attending?
            Last I heard most Cal. colleges weren't accepting the IOU's that the .gov was giving to Soldiers.

Comment

Since you have a bachelor's degree, can you get tuition assistance? Limited. Will they pay the full amount for tuition assistance? No. What other education benefits exist in the CA NG (tuition waivers)? Do they apply to the school you're attending?

Bonuses. Are they tied to the MOS or are they tied to the unit? What is the pay out schedule? If you attend OCS or leave the CA NG, will you have to pay any money back?.
              Right now, bonuses are tied to the unit. Tuition assistance does exist, but its not as great as what other states offer. Your GI Bill will be your primary source of funding for college.

Comment

Sir, just curious, but does Cal offer SLRP?

Comment

Originally posted by mheathershaw
                  I was wondering if any of you would have some tips/questions for me to ask my recruiter when I speak with him/her.
                  The only question you need to ask is...."where do I sign?"

Comment

Ask detailed questions, most recruits feel "screwed" by the recruiter as they didn't ask detailed questions.

As far as the MOS, can you split op? Will your AIT start or end in a school year? Since you're probably not joining a medical unit, what kind of unit are you joining? Can you visit the unit? Where is the unit in the mob process (just came back or is scheduled in 2 years)?

Bonuses. Are they tied to the MOS or are they tied to the unit? What is the pay out schedule? If you attend OCS or leave the CA NG, will you have to pay any money back?

A good recruiter may not know all the answers but would be willing to find out for you.
                    Thanks to everybody for all the good info. Keep it coming!!

I've already graduated, so I don't think I need to worry about the split op.

I know California isn't in the best financial situation at the moment, but I'm not sure how that affects the guard. I'd like to get SLRP if at all possible. If not, will GI Bill cover student loans or is that just for continuing education?

Comment

The reserve gi bill is like around $360 dollars a month and the check comes straight to you, then you can get the gi bill kicker if you enlist in a critical mos, which is about $220 range. Both run for like 36 months. These figures are only estimates.

Take advantage of the educational benifits. Earn that masters, slowly. One or two classes at a time. You got nothing but time.

If you get deployed you will get an entirely different GI bill.

Now if you don't want the GI bill you can sign a 3 year active drilling contract. Then you would go into the IRR, and would probably still be deployable.

You can only get the GI bill if you sign for 6.

Of'course we all know you're really signing up for 8 years.

Too many movies out there, and bad press. Everyone understands they are signing up for 8, it just makes me want to shake my head.

Comment

Understand too, that as soon as you swear in you are offically part of the guard. You can get your ID card, and health insurance, paid, FTA things like that. Which is unlike the Active Army DEP program.

Thus you are responsible to attend ALL RSP drills (unless you get with your cadre and work something out) and anything less you would be counted as AWOL, and a warrant could be filed for your arrest.

To ship to basic you need to be able to do 13 pushups, 17 situps, and run a mile in 8:30, and be medically and morally correct.

RSP drills are alright.

Comment

Working...
                        X