Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still working on the weight but now there is a new issue- high blood pressure

I am trying to lose enough weight to be able to join the Guard. Its been a lot slower than I thought (100LBS doesn't get dropped overnight) with some ups and downs in the process. I hope to get down under 200LBS before I reach the age cut offs, and I'm pretty sure I'll make it with about a year to spare (I'll be 40 this summer).

Anyway, a new potential issue just cropped up. Last time I was at the doctor my blood pressure was high (140/100). I will be buying a blood pressure cuff to monitor it at home and I'm to come back with the results at the end of the month. If the results are as expected (that I now have high blood pressure and it wasn't just an aberration because I was sick) I will be treated for high blood pressure.

My doctor and myself both think that if I lose the extra weight I'm working on losing anyway it is very possible my blood pressure may return to normal and I may at that time be able to cease treatment. So, my question is, assuming my blood pressure does return to normal once my weight is back to normal, would the previous high blood pressure be a problem with enlisting or would the untreated blood pressure at the time be what matters? Also, if the damage is done and my blood pressure doesn't return completely to normal, is blood pressure all or nothing? If my blood pressure is high is it automatically something that would disqualify me, or is there a range where if I'm so many points from normal it may be a non-issue? I see some talk on the forum about getting waivers for high blood pressure. Is there a limit to how high to get a waiver? Either way, I hope that won't be needed since too many waivers (I need one due to my entry level separation 20 years ago) and a recruiter would probably see me as too much trouble.

Re: Still working on the weight but now there is a new issue- high blood pressure

Chaim you have some good valid questions. Lets keep eveything to the simplest terms. Don't over think this or worry to much about it. I know it is easier said than done. The ARNG has been around 371 years so I don't think it is going anywhere soon.

Congrats on your weight loss btw; Keep it up. I'm sure your Doctor has given you hints about lower your high blood pressure like drinking non-caffeine pop, coffee and the likes(salt)?

Losing weight is a lifesytle change. I recommend www.weightwatchers.com excellent and proven system. Incorporate cardio and weight training along with push-up, and situps in your exercise reginment.

Once you meet weight or tape (army hates phat bodies) then I would get with your recruiters. Don't waste yours or theres until you meet weight.

Do stuff that is relaxing take your dog for a walk, read books, or sit on the porch and enjoy a sunset.

If joining the guard is what you really want; You got want it like a "fat kid wants cake"!

Good luck friend and when you meet your weight then let see what that BP is cross one bridge at a time.

Comment

Re: Still working on the weight but now there is a new issue- high blood pressure

Originally posted by Chaim
      I am trying to lose enough weight to be able to join the Guard. Its been a lot slower than I thought (100LBS doesn't get dropped overnight) with some ups and downs in the process. I hope to get down under 200LBS before I reach the age cut offs, and I'm pretty sure I'll make it with about a year to spare (I'll be 40 this summer).

...So, my question is, assuming my blood pressure does return to normal once my weight is back to normal, would the previous high blood pressure be a problem with enlisting or would the untreated blood pressure at the time be what matters?
      Ok, back in Jan 2008, I began my journey at 290# My goal was not to join the NG but to just get healthy. By the end of the summer, I was down to 215#. I then went on to do a program called P90X and got down to 205# by Dec 2008. It was hard to change my eating habits because I work as a Kitchen Manager in a restaurant. But, I did it.

I had high blood pressure too. I was 33 at the time and though, "am I going to have to take medication to get this under control?" The answer was no (for me) After taking off the weight, my BP is average and my resting HR is like 53 bpm. The best thing to do for high blood pressure-lose weigh and make better food choices.

You're blood pressure WILL come down because your heart will not have to work as hard to pump blood through your body. I don't care what age you are! Just get on a program now. Find some support and you can knock out that weight and continue on with your goal of joining the NG!

Best of luck!

Comment

USMC (hmm, I'm guessing you're prior Marine Corps , some of my best friends were Marines BTW), thanks for the encouragement. I definitely don't plan to discuss joining (on all but the most superficial level) with any recruiters until I'm much closer (within 10 pounds). I am in contact with several Army, AR, ANG, AF, etc. recruiters since I'm a high school teacher and senior class advisor (I've got posters and brochures for my classroom and for my students, and I always talk to the recruiters when they come through the school), and I do let them know that if/when my weight is right I want to go back.

As far as the Weight Watchers suggestion, that isn't for me. I believe in permanent lifestyle changes, and I don't want to have to order their meals the rest of my life. For now, exercise, cutting my portions, and trying to eat more veggies and less meat (and more lean meat when I do eat meat, though buffalo is far more expensive than beef). I'm a teacher and off during the summer, this summer I plan to do what is basically an adult "fat camp" (if I'm still off on the weight by then) which will include nutrition counseling so I can get a bit more sophisticated than just "more veggies, less meat" at that point.

As far as wanting it, I wanted to be in the military since I was six. Unfortunately, "the universe" had other ideas and I was discharged after basic training. After the two years was up (with an entry level separation I had to wait two years) I was told that waivers weren't very common (this was during the early 1990's and the "peace dividend" from the end of the Cold War- heck I probably wouldn't have been discharged at all if I went to training 6 months earlier or 10 years later). Then, a few years later when I heard that waivers were more common I was a bit overweight (not too bad, but not in basic training condition) and I figured I had plenty of time. As time went on, my weight got worse, not better, life happens (unemployment and credit issues in my mid to late 20s, the credit possibly being an impediment for joining and definitely for a security clearance- at the time I thought I wanted to do intel). Then, I found myself near the cut off at the time (in my late 20s to early 30s) and I was busy working, going to college and living life and I was too out of shape anyway. Then came 9/11, it reminded me how much I've always wanted to serve, but trying to lose weight at that point was very up and down (I'd be motivated for a while, then get off track and gain back what I lost, and sometimes more). I also went through a period of several years as an Orthodox *** (hmm, not sure why the noun form of Jewish is blocked) which was sometimes a distraction (I had a lot to catch up a lot in religious knowledge, and the military felt unrealistic due to religious requirements). Then I got a job I loved (teaching) and I found myself over the age cut off anyway. The past year and a half to two years I've been much more motivated, they increased the max age to 42 so I have a little time (I hear you can even get OCS up to 41 or 42 now too), and I've been working hard. Unfortunately, I had 100LBS to lose, and at my age the body doesn't recover as fast as it used to, plus being so out of shape, I've over done it at times hurting myself and needing to take some time off to recover, plus some natural set backs (I've only gained 3 pounds over the holidays this time though) and so I'm still working on it. But, I want to be a soldier more than anything, and I always have.
        Last edited by Chaim; January 2nd, 2010, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Ok, back in Jan 2008, I began my journey at 290# My goal was not to join the NG but to just get healthy.
          Getting back to the military is just one of my goals. My need to lose weight is multifaceted. I'm getting up to 40 and I would like to live at least another 40 years. If I continued at 300+LBS I'd probably be looking at diabetes and/or a heart attack within the next decade. I'm also still single, I'm old enough I don't want to remain single forever, and most women don't look at a 300LB tub of lard and say "I want that" . Finally, I like an active lifestyle. I like camping, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, etc. and I got out of shape enough that enjoying these activities was becoming very difficult. Heck, I'm old enough that if the military doesn't happen, my chance was when I was 19 and I blew it, I can put things in perspective and it won't be the end of the world (and I'll continue to try to lose weight).

You're blood pressure WILL come down because your heart will not have to work as hard to pump blood through your body. I don't care what age you are!
          I hope so, and usually this is true. However, high blood pressure runs in my family. My dad found out he had high blood pressure during his pre-induction physical when he was about to be drafted during Vietnam and has been on meds ever since (and he is in good shape). Both uncles on dad's side have high blood pressure, as does my mom. However, I have avoided it until now, and even while greatly out of shape my blood pressure stayed normal (it started to be what the doctors called "borderline" a couple years ago), so hopefully losing the weight will bring it back to normal and it wasn't my genetics but with the genetics it is possible it won't come down when I lose the weight.
          Last edited by Chaim; January 2nd, 2010, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaim
            ...However, I have avoided it until now, and even while greatly out of shape my blood pressure stayed normal (it started to be what the doctors called "borderline" a couple years ago), so hopefully losing the weight will bring it back to normal and it wasn't my genetics but with the genetics it is possible it won't come down when I lose the weight.
            It is medically proven. Less stress on the heart will cause it to function properly and not over exert itself.

I have a personal question to ask though, how long have you been at 300#? I spent the better part of 25 years at 265+ (even when I was young) I've never been into sports when I was young. In fact I hated to play and was not very good.

Comment

Originally posted by clyde
              It is medically proven. Less stress on the heart will cause it to function properly and not over exert itself.

I have a personal question to ask though, how long have you been at 300#? I spent the better part of 25 years at 265+ (even when I was young) I've never been into sports when I was young. In fact I hated to play and was not very good.
              It is true that less stress on the heart usually improves blood pressure. However, I also have genetics at work here as all the adults on dad's side have high blood pressure (even those in shape) and most of the adults on my mom's side seem to develop it in their 40's and 50's. Still, even if it is genetics, when I lose the weight I won't lose the high blood pressure, but it should be a lot better.

How long have I been this heavy, not long. I have been overweight since about a year or two after my discharge. However, I didn't hit 250 until around 30. I got near 300 4 or 5 years ago, started losing weight when I wanted to get back in the Army about 2 1/2 years ago, had some ups and downs (tried too hard and got hurt and when I had to stop working out for a while I gained it back and then some and got to 305), and now I'm going down again, but smarter (I'm not trying to lose it quite as fast so I won't hurt myself again, and I'm being even more careful about my diet).

Luckily I do like a lot of activities so as my condition improves so it is less painful again I will spend a lot of time canoeing, hiking and biking, so in good weather it will be easier to maintain any weight loss. Unfortunately, right now I'm too out of shape to do any of that enough to really benefit.
              Last edited by Chaim; January 3rd, 2010, 02:22 AM.

Comment

So don't have *** before you go to MEPs???

I will have to get Quantum back here. She can answer all these questions. She's a fitness guru.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil
                  So don't have *** before you go to MEPs???

I will have to get Quantum back here. She can answer all these questions. She's a fitness guru.
                  Yea, where is she?

Comment

Chaim
                    Please don't take me as harsh. I truly feel you are stressing over nothing. Trust me, there were plenty of things that could have kept me from joining at my age. My hearing for example... I'm borderline H-3 (1 small notch from actually failing the test) and I made it. Don't let your thoughts dwell on this one thing. If you do, you'll drive yourself nuts.

As for your injury, what happened? What has you so tore up that you are unable to workout? It's not to late to do something for yourself right now. But, it seems there is more than one issue here that is causing you stress. Focusing on the things you can do (as a workout) and effectively managing your diet will do wonders for your health. You just have to take it one step at a time. Look for measured results over a period of 30 to 60 days and you'll see that you don't have and issue.

I want for you to get in. Heck, I love seeing the old dogs go in and kick the young kids A $ $.

Comment

As for your injury, what happened? What has you so tore up that you are unable to workout?
                      Several pulled muscles and twisted ankles. I messed up my back pretty bad a couple times. I also messed up my hip once (not quite sure how I did that). Mostly the usual if you work out too hard for your condition, followed by longer than they used to be recovery periods. The injury that had me have to stop working out the longest was a broken rib (though it wasn't an exercise related injury). Now I'm paying closer attention to what my body is telling me and not trying to push through pain quite as much (there is pain, and then there is pain, and beyond the usual soreness I'm trying to be aware of the difference).
                      Last edited by Chaim; January 3rd, 2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Yea, where is she?
                        Important stuff going on

Comment

In the future Iron man just keep it simple. If your 300lbs now start with a brisk walk and work yourself up to 3 miles in 45 min. Then as you start to lose weight look into a running program like: The couch to 5k.

You can make all the excuses you want to bottom line "only you can do it". you can lose 1.5 to 2.5 lbs a week without killing yourself if your a 300 lbs "rollie pollie" male.

Army hates phat bodies plain and simple. Some people have gave you great advice. All I hear are excuses. Get off your duff and do some push aways! Then put on your go-fasters and get going.

For the life of me how do you do a work-out and break rib. I can see your cankles giving out and doing more than what a 300 pounder should be doing.

Your training to lose weight right? Then you shouldn't be taking in more than 1800 calories a day. How's your PT? You should be doing a minimum of 30 mins cardio and 30 mins of resistance training per day. At least 5-6 days a week.

I guarantee you if you just do the above you can lose a 100 lbs in a year. First step is too give up those "Little Debbie snack cakes" and FAST FOOD. Give up POP, and junk food all together.

Note: you should consult a physician before you start a diet and fitness program. Other than that get it too it. Don't worry about applying for OCS cause their fitness standards are higher. It is expected of Officer (younger ones) to be a PT stud to inspire the enlisted soldiers to do better.

You lead by example; Nothing worst than a phat a-$-$ NCO or Officer giving the old speech "DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO".

My apologies in advance if I offended you. But trust me once you sign your name on that contract "LEADERSHIP" is up close and personal!

Nothing is fair and everybody is not treated equal. Bring on the rebuttal and refuting. The Military is not a place for the sick, lame, and lazy.

You was informed politely "what you needed to do" now just go do it. I know you can do it if you really what it. Better yet prove me wrong. Now go get some big boy HOOAH!

Comment

Chaim's concerns are valid.

There are two forms of hypertension, essentially genetic or environmental. If Chaim's hypertension is genetic, losing weight will not be enough and he will require medication. If Chaim's hypertension is environmental, losing weight alone might be enough to bring him into the healthy range.

Chaim- You seem to have a pretty good case for genetical hypertension, but you also have a pretty borderline BP for someone of your weight. You have a very good chance of getting into the normal range with weight loss and (more importantly) good physical condition.
                            Last edited by notyetdead; January 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM.

Comment

7011USMC's advice is solid. But his best piece of advice is "check with your doctor first."

Overexertion at 300 lbs is a problem because you will be very prone to injury and nothing sidetracks attempts to lose weight like injuries. Also (and more importantly) at 300 lbs, there is a chance of underlying cardiac issues that you need to know about before following any ambitious exercise regime.

See your doctor and tell him your goals. He will want to run a battery of tests (if he doesn't recommend checking your lipids and running an EKG, request both) and should be able to come up with some recommendations as to a training plan and diet.

And remember this: Studies have shown pretty definitively that FAR more folks are unable to lose desired weight because of plans too ambitious than because plans are not ambitious enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X