Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Still working on the weight but now there is a new issue- high blood pressure

I dont think you are compelled to order meals with weight watcher. I know a few people who do it and a few of them talk about it day in and day out. I know you just have to count points based on what you do eat, and change how you eat. The guy who is on it at work now talks 24/7 about the weight he's lost, and I know he just had his cooking and meals altered at home, and has a list of what he can eat and how many points.

On football sundays he skips breakfast so he can have beer and wings at the bar and has a light dinner while he watches football.

Now on to the high blood pressure thing, I can speak to this some because my blood pressure was high as well. It's true that losing weight will cause it to drop. Also, it doesnt help if your lifestyle consists of walking to and from the car primarily, and sitting at a desk. I dont know how your lifestyle is, but if you were in the military once, your blood pressure was low once and can be again. You need to have regular physical activity, even if not as intense as cardio to give your heart a work out.

Here is what I've done to lower mine:

1) hydrate hydrate hydrate. Being dehydrated raises BP. I used to drink about a glass of water every other day. I changed that and notice improvement.

2) Suppliments. Fish oil, Niacin, CoQ10, and some special supplements for blood pressure. One was called "Blood pressure take care" and was mostly grape seed extract. Niacin...the pure kind (not non-flush) opens up the the veins and arteries and flushes them when you take it. It's normal to feel a bit of a hot spell or flushing when you take it. That's a good thing.

3) Physical activity. Try this out. Go for a run, even if you suck, just do it for time. Run for about 15 minutes at any speed, as long as it's a run, then rest until your cool down. Stop, cool down, let your breathing slow, then start checking your blood pressure. It will be lower...maybe even in the 120/80 range. Regular physical activity has the same effect over time.

4) Liquids. Drink some hibiscus tea and aloe vera juice (tastes wierd) regularly in addition to your water. Those are shown in clinical studies to lower BP.

5) Diet. cut out as much sodium, red meat, and fried foods from your diet as possible and stick to vegetables and whole grain breads.

6) Checking BP. At first when I checked my blood pressure it would be after doing something silly like running down my stairs to the couch. It would be raging high and I would wonder why. Sit down for a minute, maybe 5 and relax. Then check your BP. You cant lift a moving box and turn around and check your BP and expect it to be normal the second you stop laboring.

I did all of those things I'm consistently lower on my BP, and within the passing range for meps of being lower than 140/90. Prior to these adjustments i was always 145-150/76-90. Now I'm typically 132/72 or lower. That's just the average.

Also...if you do...stop smoking. You could also consider fasting the day before meps to help. Alot of times a physician will recommend that before a blood test anyways, and it lowers blood pressure.

Comment

Re: Still working on the weight but now there is a new issue- high blood pressure

Originally posted by show_stopper999
      I dont think you are compelled to order meals with weight watcher. I know a few people who do it and a few of them talk about it day in and day out. I know you just have to count points based on what you do eat, and change how you eat. The guy who is on it at work now talks 24/7 about the weight he's lost, and I know he just had his cooking and meals altered at home, and has a list of what he can eat and how many points.
      You're right. A big study was done comparing the different diets that are the rage right now to find out which ones produced long term weight loss. Of all of them (Zone Diet, Atkins, South Beach, etc.), only two produced lasting results. The Dean Ornish Diet and Weight Watchers. The Ornish diet is vegetarian, so most folks are better off going with WW.

WW is effective because of the point system, which requires discipline, but forces people to hold themselves accountable for their food choices. You don't have to buy their products.

Comment

2) Suppliments. Fish oil, Niacin, CoQ10, and some special supplements for blood pressure. One was called "Blood pressure take care" and was mostly grape seed extract. Niacin...the pure kind (not non-flush) opens up the the veins and arteries and flushes them when you take it. It's normal to feel a bit of a hot spell or flushing when you take it. That's a good thing.
        Of all of these, Niacin and fish oil are proven effective. With Niacin, the itching/flushing/hot spell is not a "good thing," it's an unwanted side effect that causes a lot of people to stop using it. It can also be easily avoided by most folks by taking an aspirin a half hour or an hour before taking Niacin.

But to be honest, niacin is not the most effective medication out there. If you can't control your hypertension without taking Niacin, you should be on a better prescription medicine. Niacin isn't first line.
        3) Physical activity. Try this out. Go for a run, even if you suck, just do it for time. Run for about 15 minutes at any speed, as long as it's a run, then rest until your cool down.
        Probably not good. If someone is 300 lbs and leads a sedentary lifestyle, they should start with any exercise that gets their heart rate up to about 140 and do it for at least 30 minutes. 15 minutes isn't long enough to produce fat burning and running will likely jack up the person's heart rate to unsafe levels at first.

Again, see a doctor before starting an exercise regimen. This is overkill for most folks, but if you're 300 lbs, cardiac clearance is a smart thing.
        Drink some hibiscus tea and aloe vera juice (tastes wierd) regularly in addition to your water. Those are shown in clinical studies to lower BP.
        Again, talk to a doctor about this. Herbal supplements can have bad effects on people, particularly interacting with prescription meds. Aloe vera juice, for instance, has some nasty interactions with all sorts of heart meds.
        Diet. cut out as much sodium, red meat, and fried foods from your diet as possible and stick to vegetables and whole grain breads.
        Good advice. Google "DASH Diet." Folks who follow it get pretty significant gains.
        Also...if you do...stop smoking.
        That's a biggie. Smoking is one of the biggest contributors to hypertension, even more than weight in some cases.

Comment

Working...
        X