X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non us-citizens

ok this maybe a pretty stupid question but are non US citizens allowed to join the guard or do you need to be a US citizen has im a UK citizen but im planning on moving to the states within the next 5 years at which point ill be 30 but i want to join the military to serve and because ive always wanted to be able to live a life of honour and comradeship but i feel like the guard might be able to get more out of me then the army as well as me getting more out of the guard then i could the army or any other military unit.

In advance i want to thank any of you that can help me out so Thank You

Re: non us-citizens

You can join provided you have a green card (permanent residency with permission to work) and a SSN. The two go hand in hand.

My wife is a non-US citizen and almost joined but backed out. Once you join you're elligible to apply for citizenship as well I believe.

Comment

thank you but whats a SSN card and where and how would i get it because i assume the green card would be from the us embassy.

Comment

You get a green card (a residence permit) through legal immigration process. Your reason for immigration can't be to join the military. They wont allow you to immigrate on that basis alone. You have to have a reason, such as being married to a US citizen, or having a job offer in the US.

After you apply for immigration (which will cost you around $2000 once all fees and medical costs are paid), and it's approved, you'll be given a temporary visa in your passport good for entry to the US within six months.

Once you enter, they'll pull you aside at the airport, take all your stuff, a picture, and send your green card in the mail to you in about 6 weeks. Social Security Number will arrive in the mail about the same time.

That's how the process worked for my wife.

You cant just show up and to the embassy and ask to live in america to join the military. It's not a valid reason for immigration. There has to be another reason, and you can join the military once you're here.

Comment

thanks again and a few reasons i want to leave the uk is among other things to get a new start and to go to college and eventually if at all possible start my business but then ive got a fall back plan which is to get on my hands and knees and beg but with all serious i just need a new start for reasons that are personal and private and some that everybody feels at one time or another.

Comment

Once you have an SSN you should be able to join provided there are no other issues.
            Last edited by braden.stockham; January 8th, 2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X