X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Military ID card at RSP?

Or if they live with you and you support them! And you can prove it! And its the 5th month of the 10th year on the third week.... They really need good TV to last past 2100 on Mondays and I wouldnt have to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
      Or if they live with you and you support them! And you can prove it! And its the 5th month of the 10th year on the third week.... They really need good TV to last past 2100 on Mondays and I wouldnt have to do this.
      Good TV???? What are you talking about? The Orange Bowl is on tonight. Oh wait...I suppose after the badgers took such a beating, people in WI dont want to talk about football.

Comment

I want my parents to become my dependents, what do I have to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff U. View Post
          I want my parents to become my dependents, what do I have to do?
          It's probably not going to happen. You have to prove that you provide over 50% of your parents income. There is some more to it as well, but it is only under the rarest of circumstances that this is going to actually happen.

Comment

Is it provide 50%+ by military paycheck or by both civilian and military?

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
              Is it provide 50%+ by military paycheck or by both civilian and military?
              It's not 50% of your income, it's over 50% of theirs. As in, you take care of over half their needs.

Comment

Well, I'm not quite sure how it could work out in the way you thought I was talking about... lol...

Let me rephrase:

Does it have to be your MILITARY income ONLY (because you're requesting to cover your parents) or can it be both your civilian and military pay that equals over 50% of your parents income?
                Last edited by Mr_Loki; January 4th, 2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                  Good TV???? What are you talking about? The Orange Bowl is on tonight. Oh wait...I suppose after the badgers took such a beating, people in WI dont want to talk about football.
                  Nah, the beating of Chicago made up for it! (MF j erk! Spoutin' off like that, oh I thought I was just thinking that and not typing outloud)

Actually I wouldnt have even watched the game but I know the Athletic Director for UW very well and it was more for that then the team, i dont do college ball really.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
                    Well, I'm not quite sure how it could work out in the way you thought I was talking about... lol...

Let me rephrase:

Does it have to be your MILITARY income ONLY (because you're requesting to cover your parents) or can it be both your civilian and military pay that equals over 50% of your parents income?
                    I don't see how the source matters.

Comment

Originally posted by cyall View Post
                      I don't see how the source matters.
                      Okay, that's what I was trying to get.

I would just think the Army would make things difficult and only let you claim a dependent if you provide for them using military pay.

Comment

Quote: Jeff "I want my parents to become my dependents, what do I have to do?"

Jeff, I did this for my mom while on active duty. Here is the information link.

http://dcp.psc.gov/PDF_docs/DEERS_cover_memo.pdf
                        If you are applying for enrollment or an ID card for a dependent parent, you must complete and return the following forms which are available at the Commissioned Corps Management Information System (CCMIS)
                        Web site http://dcp.psc.gov
                        1. Form "Public Health Service Commissioned Officerís Request for Dependency
                        Determination;"
                        DD Form 137-3, "Dependency Statement - Parent;" and
                        3. DD Form 1172, "Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS
                        Enrollment."
                        4. Parentís proof of income;
                        5. A copy of their tax return; and
                        6. Supporting documentation for ALL claimed expenses.
                        You must complete the request and your parent must complete the dependent statement. Please ensure that items on the parentís statement are completed and that the form is notarized before returning it to this office. To qualify as a dependent, the parent must meet the following four eligibility requirements:
                        1. The parentís income, not counting the memberís contribution, than one-half of the parentís monthly living expenses;
                        2. The memberís contribution than the parentís income from all sources;
                        3. The memberís contribution than one-half the parentís monthly living
                        expenses; and The parent must reside in the sponsorís household or a household maintained for or by the sponsor. You have the burden of proving that your parent is a dependent. This is accomplished by providing documentation of your parentís expenses, i.e., copies of receipts, and by documenting your contributions, e.g., copies of canceled checks/money orders which are either made payable to your parent, or which specifically state that they were written to pay for expenses incurred by your parent. Stating that you gave cash is not acceptable in determining the amount you contributed to his/her support. You should also document (where appropriate) the method used to determine fair rental value of that portion of your home that your parent occupies. Poor record keeping, by either you or your parent, may be reason for your dependency request to be disapproved. Incomplete packets without supporting documentation will be returned to the sponsor without action.
                        The complete package should be mailed to this office at the following
                        address:
                        Division of Commissioned Corps Officer Support
                        ATTN: DEERS
                        1101 Wootton Parkway, PL, Suite 100
                        Rockville, MD 20852
                        If you have any questions, you may contact the PHS DEERS Project Office via email at phsdeers@hhs.gov or by phone at 240-453-6131.

Comment

I guess you cannot post links in this thread because it needs moderator approval but I found the information that I did for my mom.

INSTRUCTIONS TO PHS OFFICERS REGARDING

DEERS E
                          NROLLMENT/ID CARD ISSUANCE OR RENEWAL BY MAIL

F
                          ULL-TIME STUDENT OVER THE AGE OF 21
                          I
                          NCAPACITATED CHILDREN OVER THE AGE OF 21

D
                          EPENDENT PARENTS

DEPENDENT PARENTS REQUEST

If you are applying for enrollment or an ID card for a

dependent parent, you must complete and return the following forms which are available at the Commissioned Corps Management Information System (CCMIS) Web site1. Form PHS-1637-1, "Public Health Service Commissioned Officer’s Request for Dependency
                          Determination;"
                          2. DD Form 137-3, "Dependency Statement - Parent;" and
                          3. DD Form 1172, "Application for Uniformed Services Identification Card/DEERS
                          Enrollment."
                          4. Parent’s proof of income;
                          5. A copy of their tax return; and
                          6. Supporting documentation for ALL claimed expenses.
                          You must complete the request and your parent must complete the dependent statement. Please ensure that
                          all items on the parent’s statement are completed and that the form is notarized before returning it to this office. To qualify as a dependent, the parent must meet the following four eligibility requirements:
                          1. The parent’s income, not counting the member’s contribution, must be less than one-half
                          of the parent’s monthly living expenses;
                          2. The member’s contribution
                          must be more than the parent’s income from all sources;
                          3. The member’s contribution
                          must be more than one-half the parent’s monthly living
                          expenses; and
                          The parent must reside in the sponsor’s household or a household maintained for or by
                          the sponsor.
                          You have the burden of proving that your parent is a
                          bona fide dependent. This is accomplished by providing documentation of your parent’s expenses, i.e., copies of receipts, and by documenting your contributions, e.g., copies of canceled checks/money orders which are either made payable to your parent, or which specifically state that they were written to pay for expenses incurred by your parent. Stating that you gave cash is not acceptable in determining the amount you contributed to his/her support. You should also document (where appropriate) the method used to determine fair rental value of that portion of your home that your parent occupies. Poor record keeping, by either you or your parent, may be reason for your dependency request to be disapproved. Incomplete packets without supporting documentation will be returned to the sponsor without action.
                          The complete package should be mailed to this office at the following address:
                          Division of Commissioned Corps Officer Support
                          ATTN: DEERS
                          1101 Wootton Parkway, PL, Suite 100
                          Rockville, MD 20852
                          If you

Comment

Working...
                          X