Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSP question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RSP question

    I just had a quick question.How long can you attend RSP? I've heard that you can't be in it more than 6 months is this true? I'm going to be enlisting in mid September and I'd be going to BCT next summer.Thanks in davance for the replies!

  • #2
    Re: RSP question

    Originally posted by jc091393
    I just had a quick question.How long can you attend RSP? I've heard that you can't be in it more than 6 months is this true? I'm going to be enlisting in mid September and I'd be going to BCT next summer.Thanks in davance for the replies!
    I had a buddy in RSP for 9 months. There is no limit, it's just to keep you ready to go to basic

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: RSP question

      Originally posted by EOrsini
      I had a buddy in RSP for 9 months. There is no limit, it's just to keep you ready to go to basic
      what he said.

      basically the only time you can really be in RSP that long is if you delay basic training UP TO a year after enlisting. or if you're still in high school, go to basic in summer or delay it up to a year, pass bct, then go to AIT the next summer.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: RSP question

        Uh, if you don't ship within ONE or TWO years you get booted out.

        I can't remember if which.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: RSP question

          Originally posted by Teuvil
          Uh, if you don't ship within ONE or TWO years you get booted out.

          I can't remember if which.
          It's 2 years... But that rarely EVER happens, you will go before then... the Guard will make sure of it, unless you don't make weight or something like that

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: RSP question

            Thank you all for the replies! And I'm pretty sure I'll make weight lol I'm 5'9
            and 144lbs

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: RSP question

              Well I have a few more RSP questions I hope someone can answer them.

              1.Anyone from Utah? what is RSP like in Utah? What do you guys do?

              2.How much do you get paid at RSP?

              3.I'll be an E-2 when I enlist because of 2 years of JROTC but I'd like to make E-3 while in RSP.Is this possible? what do I have to do?

              Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: RSP question

                You can be in RSP for a very long time, however long it takes you to go to training. I enlisted in December 2008 and went to BCT in June 2010 as a split-op. I'll leave for AIT in August. So that's a total of 16 drills (not counting the time I was at BCT).

                As for promotion, it depends on your location and what your recruiter can get done for you. A buddy of mine got E-3 for passing his APFT for several drills, passing a knowledge test, and for being high-speed pretty much. Just do the right thing and stay motivated and you'll go far.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: RSP question

                  Originally posted by jc091393
                  Thanks for the reply! I'm so excited and I can't wait to start drilling! I just have to enlist one person to get E-3? If so that's awesome! I read somewhere I had to enlist four people though?
                  Just get one person to enlist and you are guaranteed E-3 as long as the recruiter KNOWS that person is yours (Read: take him to YOUR recruiter unless there's something seriously wrong with him/her, to help prevent confusion). I'd also keep reminding your RSP cadre and stay on top of it once that person signs, to make sure you rank up appropriately.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: RSP question

                    I only had two RSP dates before I ship, the 2nd is coming up (24-25). I asked one of the cadre about the Stripes for Skills and he said something about a list and he'd do his best for next time.

                    I've seen the checklist for it and it mentioned Land Nav which we haven't done yet, so does anyone think I could get my E2 before going to OSUT by maybe just doing an APFT and all the knowledge stuff? Ranks, Creed, General Orders etc? I'd like to come out of OSUT as an E3 if possible

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: RSP question

                      Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier
                      As for promotion, it depends on your location and what your recruiter can get done for you. A buddy of mine got E-3 for passing his APFT for several drills, passing a knowledge test, and for being high-speed pretty much. Just do the right thing and stay motivated and you'll go far.
                      you can be assured he did not get E3 for passing "stripes for skills"(what you just described), that only gets you E2.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: RSP question

                        Originally posted by M.Bradley
                        Just get one person to enlist and you are guaranteed E-3 as long as the recruiter KNOWS that person is yours (Read: take him to YOUR recruiter unless there's something seriously wrong with him/her, to help prevent confusion). I'd also keep reminding your RSP cadre and stay on top of it once that person signs, to make sure you rank up appropriately.

                        Becareful about putting out bad information. You must put in 2 people to get E3. Unless you were promoted to E2 already for some other reason, then you would just need to refer one person to get E3.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: RSP question

                          Originally posted by NJ732
                          I only had two RSP dates before I ship, the 2nd is coming up (24-25). I asked one of the cadre about the Stripes for Skills and he said something about a list and he'd do his best for next time.

                          I've seen the checklist for it and it mentioned Land Nav which we haven't done yet, so does anyone think I could get my E2 before going to OSUT by maybe just doing an APFT and all the knowledge stuff? Ranks, Creed, General Orders etc? I'd like to come out of OSUT as an E3 if possible
                          If you've only had 2 drills you might not be able to do the stripes for skills test. You need to know everything on the test. There has actually recently been some emails sent from training post about soldiers coming down range that have been promoted under "stripes for skills" but get down there and dont even know the things they supposedly passed on the test. Apparently some states have been promoting people and sending them down range even though they havent passed the entire test (GASP ).
                          Also, if you leave as an E2, you will most likely still graduate as an E2. It is not likely to get promoted while at OSUT. Your best bet is to try to refer some people to join before you leave. That would be the quickest way to be promoted to E3.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: RSP question

                            So I'm gonna come out of OSUT still as an E1.......

                            Thats BS.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: RSP question

                              Originally posted by NJ732
                              So I'm gonna come out of OSUT still as an E1.......

                              Thats BS.

                              Why is it BS? A private is a private is a private! You'll make E-2 and E-3 in no time. There really isn't that much of a pay difference either. Plus you'll be a specialist within 18-30 months if your "high speed".

                              What kind of rank do you expect after 4 months time on the job? Not too mention you have limited skill sets to boot. Learn your craft and grow man.

                              Rank will come along with responsibility in time.

                              Look on the bright side.... you'll be a highly trained janitor!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X