X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brief note of encouragement for new recruits

A new recruit recently wrote me a private message asking for advice on how to get out of the National Guard. Therefore, I want to write to encrouage particularly new recruits that have not shipped to Basic Combat Training.

Let me preface my remarks by saying that the anxiety that some of you feel is normal. Your task is to take that anxiety and turn it into motivation. Starting is never easy, especially the military. Leaving your family for the first time may be difficult, but I assure you on graduation day they will be so proud of their son or daughter, husband or wife, or grandchild. You need to stay the course.

The United States Army is going to give you so many oppurtunities. How many people you know have shot a machine gun, or thrown a grenade? Then after Basic Combat Training, it only gets better. You may have the oppurtunity to jump out of an airplane, or do air assualt, northern warfare or mountain warfare, ranger school, or pathfinder school. The National Guard will probably give you a free education.

The future is yours. Your military career is your responsibility. There are many programs and career options that you you can take advantage of, you need to familiarize yourself with them. If you are planning on earning the rank of Sergeant, begin earning those promotion points, raise your PT score, do those things to elevate yourself; corespondance courses are a good way to earn promotion points. You need to apply yourself and you need to be aware of what options are out there that can be taken advantage of.

It all starts at Basic Combat Training, set yourself up for sucess. Get out there and run, memorize your general orders, the soldiers creed. Take small steps to ensure your sucess. Prepare yourself mentally. If your friends are smoking pot or partying disconnect yourself from them. Don't do anything that will jepordize your military career. Stay out of trouble, one ticket can keep you from shipping to Basic Combat Training. Be safe, accidental injuries could also keep you from shipping.

Overcome the fear, you only have to do Basic Combat Training one time. Do not try to get out of the contract you signed. The best practice for you to do is talk, if you have a problem talk to your recruiter, talk with the RSP cadre, in the future talk with the chaplain, talk. Twenty years from now you will be proud that you stayed the course.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; February 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM.

Re: Brief note of encouragement for new recruits

Originally posted by Chaplain4me

Stay out of trouble, one ticket can keep you from shipping to Basic Combat Training. Be safe, accidental injuries could also keep you from shipping.
    You may have just accidentally told people who to get out of the National Guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me
      A new recruit recently wrote me a private message asking for advice on how to get out of the National Guard. Therefore, I want to write to encrouage particularly new recruits that have not shipped to Basic Combat Training.

Let me preface my remarks by saying that the anxiety that some of you feel is normal. Your task is to take that anxiety and turn it into motivation. Starting is never easy, especially the military. Leaving your family for the first time may be difficult, but I assure you on graduation day they will be so proud of their son or daughter, husband or wife, or grandchild. You need to stay the course.

The United States Army is going to give you so many oppurtunities. How many people you know have shot a machine gun, or thrown a grenade? Then after Basic Combat Training, it only gets better. You may have the oppurtunity to jump out of an airplane, or do air assualt, northern warfare or mountain warfare, ranger school, or pathfinder school. The National Guard will probably give you a free education.

The future is yours. Your military career is your responsibility. There are many programs and career options that you you can take advantage of, you need to familiarize yourself with them. If you are planning on earning the rank of Sergeant, begin earning those promotion points, raise your PT score, do those things to elevate yourself; corespondance courses are a good way to earn promotion points. You need to apply yourself and you need to be aware of what options are out there that can be taken advantage of.

It all starts at Basic Combat Training, set yourself up for sucess. Get out there and run, memorize your general orders, the soldiers creed. Take small steps to ensure your sucess. Prepare yourself mentally. If your friends are smoking pot or partying disconnect yourself from them. Don't do anything that will jepordize your military career. Stay out of trouble, one ticket can keep you from shipping to Basic Combat Training. Be safe, accidental injuries could also keep you from shipping.

Overcome the fear, you only have to do Basic Combat Training one time. Do not try to get out of the contract you signed. The best practice for you to do is talk, if you have a problem talk to your recruiter, talk with the RSP cadre, in the future talk with the chaplain, talk. Twenty years from now you will be proud that you stayed the course.
      Nicely put. And on a personal note, I can't say enough about the opportunities that have been presented to me in the Guard and even when I was in the Marines 10 years prior to now. Not just military opportunities, but the people I met, the things I learned, and even the civilian jobs I got after the Marines. Your military career is what you make it. Even if you don't like it, you can still make the most of it to benefit you.

Comment

If there was a like button I would press it

Comment

Hooah, Well said...

Comment

...and follow that up with "now wipe your nose and get your whiny butt on the bus!"

Comment

Well put.. I'm a new recruit, going to my first rsp weekend on the 13th of March and shipping out to Fort Knox on the 3rd of May. Really nervous but I have been getting myself and family ready for when I leave. I have the creed, general orders, rank structure and values memorized, anything else I should be working on? My fitness can always get better but I'm working on that everyday.

Thanks for the encouragment!!!

Comment

Working...
              X