X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First RSP coming up!

Ok so here is the deal. I had my first RSP coming up in less than two weeks. I wanna be prepared. Any info would be appreciated. I searched on the topic and read some stuff. It seems like packing lists varied. Will I be issued anything at RSP?

My recruiter hand typed a list for my but it seemed like he was guessing...?
    so here it is.

Pillow
    Toothbrush/Paste
    Razor/Cream
    Deodorant
    Towell or 2
    Shower shoes
    Clothing-
    Cold weather gear
    Gloves/hat
    Work out shoes
    Shorts ( its winter so im kinda confused on this one, Any help)
    underwear
    Sleeping gear

Re: First RSP coming up!

Every rsp is different. Most likely you will get issued pt's and acu's as soon as you get there. I don't know about bringing a pillow, personally if they didn't provide them I would rather sleep w/o one for two nights then bring one. You don't want to over pack b/c you will leave with more then what you came with. The list sounds about right.

Bring 1 towel not 2 and not a beach towel. I personally use a hand towel it's smaller and easier to pack.
    Running shoes
    Gloves/hat, you can pack them but if everyone doesn't have it you might not be able to use it
    As for underwear and stuff it's personal pref. how much you bring. I usually pack 2 A-shirts, 2 boxers and 1pr of white socks plus what I show up in, as they will get nasty during pt and you won't wanna wear them after that. Usually I use the underwear I wear there for pt sat morning, shower, put on fresh ones etc. Sounds gross but this is the Army get used to it.
    1pr shorts/sweats and1 t-shirt to sleep in

odds are you will over pack the first time and will learn from there what to bring and what you won't need. Again everyone's different though, some guys pack huge duffel bags and some bring barely anything.

good luck
    Last edited by np_02; January 12th, 2010, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Was A-shirts a typo or do I not know what an A-shirt is?

What about a sleeping bag? Or is a bag issued at most places. Can I call the RSB directly and Get a current packing list? I just dont want to be one of the people that do it last minute and dont bring required stuff.

Comment

a-shirt=wife beater

At my rsp we get racks and when we check in we get our linens for the weekend. You're recruiter should know if you need a sleeping bag or not, I would start with him/her before you call your rsp.

I always get a newsletter with a packing list, surprised you haven't
        Last edited by np_02; January 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM.

Comment

oh lol... i never hear it put as an A shirt. Nice.

Yea I dunno About my recruiter sometimes. Hes a cool guy and hes hilarious but he doesnt always have the answer.... Does your newsletter come from your RSB in the mail? I hope thats what ends up happening. Cause knowing my recruiter I will not bring what I need.

Can anyone else tell me some experiences from other RSP weekends??? Just wondering some of the cool things other RSB's are doing.

Comment

I am thinking that if the packing list says "sleeping gear" that would mean Sleeping Bag/sheets... Dont overthink, the Army makes it simple, it didnt say "Woobie" or "Pajamas"... If your absolutely not sure, call the RSP.

Comment

I brought a pillow, 1 change of cloths and hygiene kit. They gave me PT cloths and filled out a ACU order form. Its a good time, just follow other people and keep your ears open and eyes straight, or the DS will pick on you. I was kinda confused my first time, just followed people and tried to get comfortable.

Comment

I always pack the following

ACU (cover, blouse, 2 under-shirts, trousers, 2 pair of boot socks, and boots) you will be issued these
                PT Gear ("super awesome" wind suit, running shoes and 2 pairs of socks)
                jeans (in case I go bowling or something on Saturday night)
                toiletry kit
                sleeping bag
                pillow

We sleep on canvas cots, so it makes for a pretty poor night of sleep without a sleeping bag and pillow. As gross as it sounds I don't ever shower on drill weekends because the shower is in the female latrine and it is a bigger pain that it's worth to organize taking one. don't worry about not being quite sure whats going on, its something I've just gotten used to. you never know when you'll get your newsletter last month I received it the Monday after drill and three months ago i never received it. since you're red phase you can probably expect a Saturday of classroom time. we went over ranks and alphabet and things then did some marching. if that's the case, on Sunday you'll do what everybody else does. I know at our RSP we don't have a red phase classroom every month so you might be with the whole group on Saturday as well. so far the things I've done are combatives, water survival, community service, CPR, and litter carrying. I heard mention of weapon maintenance and a digital firing range in the future but who knows.

Comment

As gross as it sounds I don't ever shower on drill weekends because the shower is in the female latrine and it is a bigger pain that it's worth to organize taking one.
                  Choke yourself Pyle! So you sleep in flith? Great idea; Why not sleep in the pigs-sty? You need to be fire hosed down and scuz brushed. A little blanket party if it continues.

Trust me nobody likes the aroma of a-z-z and arm pits well unless your a Taliban .

While your at it; Kill that dog/dinosaur breath and sand blast your teeth. Have pride in yourself go that extra mile!

Comment

Originally posted by at4user
                    Can I call the RSB directly and Get a current packing list? I just dont want to be one of the people that do it last minute and dont bring required stuff.
                    Your best bet would be to just call your RSP. As it has been stated, every RSP is different on what they issue and what you need to bring. I find that many people report to drill with bad information that was given to them by their recruiter because they simply didnt know. Just call your RSP, it's our job to make sure your squared away.

Comment

i have my first RSP this weekend. what i didn't know i asked the NCO when i was there to sign up. they also sent a newsletter with all other info out on Monday to my AKO email account. i'm packed and ready to go already.

Comment

Wow now I feel spoiled here in Ct.

Some of the things you do at rsp are pretty cool, some others not so much. Red phase for us was a lot of D&C, marching and classroom.

Just this past weekend we used the Humvee rollover simulator, which is basically just the cab of the vehicle on this hydraulic machine and 4 people sit in it and they spin you upside down a few times. Then they hang you upside down and you release your seat belt and find the unlocked door before you "die". It's funny you can always tell when someone shorter releases, they hit ALOT harder.

We also did this virtual reality live convoy fire exercise which is pretty cool. I got to be the .50 cal gunner for 1 of the vehicles. Then we did combatives, landnav and squad tactical exercises in the snow haha. Oh and the 11b's got to have a competition on assembling and disassembling a .50 cal to see who could do it the fastest. My team didn't win. Enjoy it and retain the knowledge your NCO's give you it's invaluable.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC
                          Trust me nobody likes the aroma of a-z-z and arm pits well unless your a Taliban
                          haha, maybe that's why I'm always picked last for football.

Comment

Originally posted by Jgradu
                            haha, maybe that's why I'm always picked last for football.
                            I hope you were kidding about your hygiene? Seriously you don't need no extra attention once you go to basic. It's the little things like "attention to details" and do more than the minimum.

Don't worry about getting picked last...So them up!

Comment

well, if you really need to know, I do shower every day. However, the weekend of RSP there is a very narrow window for around 50 guys to use the female's latrine for showers on Saturday. Now, if everyone else was taking a shower, I'd jump right on in, but the norm seems to be not showering on Saturday. Therefore, Sunday morning just cake on the deodorant, and make sure i wash my face thoroughly.

Comment

Working...
                              X