X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG wieght loss

hey everyone I decided to join the gaurd the other day so i can get the chance to serve my country, provide for my wife and I and stay in shape. The only thing standing in my way is my wieght I'm 5'8 and 250 LBS i was told when i get to 180 I can get started with everything. So my question is are there any suggestions on losing this much wieght in a short amount of time? and what type of schdule should i be putting myself on like with exercise?
    Thanks for your time
    -Josh

Re: BIG wieght loss

Originally posted by ls1 View Post
    hey everyone I decided to join the gaurd the other day so i can get the chance to serve my country, provide for my wife and I and stay in shape. The only thing standing in my way is my wieght I'm 5'8 and 250 LBS i was told when i get to 180 I can get started with everything. So my question is are there any suggestions on losing this much wieght in a short amount of time? and what type of schdule should i be putting myself on like with exercise?
    Thanks for your time
    -Josh
    I'm 5'8" and weighed in at 226 3 weeks before going to MEPS. for two weeks I ate nothing but steaks and drank green machine juice. I stopped putting sugar and creamer in my coffee and drank it black everyday. I also drank a quadruple shot of expresso at least 30 minutes before I worked out everyday. I also dropped bread and any other carbohydrates from my diet.

My workouts early on consisted of heavy dead lifting, squats and bench pressing then circuit training once a day everyday for a week, then I took it up a notch and worked out twice a day everyday the last week. The last 3 days before going to MEPS I hit the eliptical machine for a solid hour twice a day (1 hr on the eliptical burns over 1000 calories which = 1 pound). At 2am I ran on the eliptical again at the hotel for 30 minutes. I ate nothing but a plate of scrambled eggs and three cups of apple juice at 4am before shipping to MEPS. I weighed in at 212 and less than 25% body fat.

Comment

Originally posted by ls1 View Post
      Thanks for your time
      -Josh
      I'm 5'8" and weighed 226 pounds three weeks before going to MEPS. I used to play rugby in college, ride 20 on my mountain bike, and free dive a mile out from the shore on any given day, so fitness is nothing for me. Anyways, The first week I trained heavy with dead lifting, squats and bench pressing. Second week I did circuit training in the mornings and worked the eliptical machine for solid hour in the afternoons (1 hr eliptical = 1200 cals/1 pound).

I stopped putting sugar and cream in my coffee and drank it straight black everyday. I also drank a quadruple shot of expresso before working out everyday. I ate nothing but sirloin steaks and drank green machine juice--no bread, no carbohydrates. The last four days I hit the eliptical twice a day and performed supersets that same afternoon. The night before shipping to MEPS I ate the equivalent of two pork chops. At 2am I worked the eliptical machine for 30 minutes. At 4am I ate a plate of scrambled eggs and drank a cup of black coffee. I weighed in at 212 pounds at MEPS that morning and was a little less than 25% body fat.

Comment

Your best bet is to start a diet and exercise program. As usual the disclaimer: Consult a physican before starting one. Bottom line just keep it simple. Cut out fast foods, sweets, and pop/soda. Start doing a "army exercise program workout" (run, sit-ups, and push-ups) don't do crash dieting it will just come back. Lose 1.5 to 2.0 lbs per week without killing yourself and "treat" yourself occasionally.

Also note: EVERYBODY IS A DIET & EXERCISE EXPERT! Don't believe it...well just ask them; Wait they will just tell you anyways lol.

Good luck friend and remember the Army is no place for a Phat Azz (trust there are plenty in that are). Lose your weight, get in shape, and remember you just didn't get to 250 lbs over night!

Set some short and long term goals, keep a diet & exercise journal, and monitor your weight at least once a week. Trust me it is no mountain for a hill climber!

Comment

Thanks man i'v cut out fast food and other bad foods and replaced pop's and juice with water. i've always been a heavy kid i grew up in a bigger household lol but like i said i'm determined to do this and i have to start somewere. thanks again for your advice

Comment

Like stated diet(most important part), and a good exercise program. I would get in touch with a fitness professional near you for guidance on what would be best for you to get you to your goal. Heavy emphasis on muscular endurance and cardio vascular endurance. Loosing 70-90lbs will have a couple benefits, you can join the Army and serve your country and your catfish or firechiken will be about a tenth quicker in the 1/4. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
              Your best bet is to start a diet and exercise program. As usual the disclaimer: Consult a physican before starting one. Bottom line just keep it simple. Cut out fast foods, sweets, and pop/soda. Start doing a "army exercise program workout" (run, sit-ups, and push-ups) don't do crash dieting it will just come back. Lose 1.5 to 2.0 lbs per week without killing yourself and "treat" yourself occasionally.
              This is good advice. Especially the "crash dieting." Google the food pyramid and follow those guidelines and you're not just eating to lose weight, you're building healthy eating habits for life. All of the "name diets" such as Atkins, South Beach, etc. have been shown to only last temporarily with the weight returning quickly. The only pay-diet that has evidence that it works is Weight Watchers.

As for the "army exercise program workout", for someone 250, I wouldn't tailor my workout to sit-ups and push-ups, as the OP won't be taking the APFT for at least 6-9 months. He's much better off working with a trainer ($ permitting) or doing a basic workout emphasizing weights and diverse cardiovascular training.

Good luck, ls1. Keep in mind that this is a game of inches (no pun intended). You're MUCH better off taking 9 months to lose the weight gradually than trying anything that burns off blubber quicker only to see it return.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                I'm 5'8" and weighed 226 pounds three weeks before going to MEPS. I used to play rugby in college, ride 20 on my mountain bike, and free dive a mile out from the shore on any given day, so fitness is nothing for me. Anyways, The first week I trained heavy with dead lifting, squats and bench pressing. Second week I did circuit training in the mornings and worked the eliptical machine for solid hour in the afternoons (1 hr eliptical = 1200 cals/1 pound).

I stopped putting sugar and cream in my coffee and drank it straight black everyday. I also drank a quadruple shot of expresso before working out everyday. I ate nothing but sirloin steaks and drank green machine juice--no bread, no carbohydrates. The last four days I hit the eliptical twice a day and performed supersets that same afternoon. The night before shipping to MEPS I ate the equivalent of two pork chops. At 2am I worked the eliptical machine for 30 minutes. At 4am I ate a plate of scrambled eggs and drank a cup of black coffee. I weighed in at 212 pounds at MEPS that morning and was a little less than 25% body fat.
                1 pound does not equal 1200 or 1000 calories! LMAO
                1 pound is equal to 3500 calories!
                simple way to lose weight is this: eat less about 1200 calories or so and exercise on a daily basis. The best you can do is BOTH cardio and weight training. remember the more muscle you have the more fat you burn! but most importantly alot of cardio. i started at 220lbs and went down to 198 in 3 weeks. i didnt do anything unhealthy i simply drank ONLY water and eat less. plus i worked out twice a week. once in the morning and once in the evening. and just be active through out the day! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dGorilla27 View Post
                  1 pound does not equal 1200 or 1000 calories! LMAO
                  1 pound is equal to 3500 calories!
                  simple way to lose weight is this: eat less about 1200 calories or so and exercise on a daily basis. The best you can do is BOTH cardio and weight training. remember the more muscle you have the more fat you burn! but most importantly alot of cardio. i started at 220lbs and went down to 198 in 3 weeks. i didnt do anything unhealthy i simply drank ONLY water and eat less. plus i worked out twice a week. once in the morning and once in the evening. and just be active through out the day! GOOD LUCK!!!!
                  Not that I'm trying to start a flame war but some corrections are due. I had crazy issues trying to post the first time in this thread and couldn't make any corrections. Perhaps it was a combination of using an airport signal through a hyper sensitive firewall and my posting privileges being blocked every other time I tried to post a comment when I first joined. Nevertheless, I sincerely apologize for the statements I made in reference to losing weight were incomplete.

You were correct in saying that 1 pound equals 3500 calories, which is what I left out. However, it's not advisable to suggest that someone drop their calorie intake, particularly, if a person is going through an extreme regimen to burn fat. The average male over 180 pounds can burn 1200 calories or more in 50 minutes to an hour on the elliptical machine provided that your machine is dialed up to a considerable level of resistance. A person would actually have to increase their calorie intake in order to sustain a high level of strength and endurance for 2 to 3 weeks, which is why I emphasized a high protein/ low carb/high caffine diet in order to maximize fat burning potential and simultaneously increase muscle building/sustaining potential.

Caffiene has the triple effect of increasing endurance and decreasing pain during a workout as well as acts as a diuretic. In addition, I also took L-Argenine to maximize muscle recovery after my workouts. L-Argenine also helps the body to eliminate ammonia, which is a bi-product of a high protein diet. The end result is the reason why I could work out twice a day and lose a minimal amount of muscle mass while losing the amount of body fat needed to pass the tape measure at MEPS. I do not claim to be an expert nor would I suggest that anyone follow my regimen to the last letter. Nevertheless, what I did worked for me.

Please check with your physician before you attempt this diet. The Army National Guard does not approve this message.

Comment

Wierd I'm only 5'5 but 190Lbs but I got in because I was only 21% body fat. 26% is the cutout I think for males depending on your age.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff U. View Post
                      Wierd I'm only 5'5 but 190Lbs but I got in because I was only 21% body fat. 26% is the cutout I think for males depending on your age.
                      Disclaimer: I am not a dietitian nor am I a physician or a certified fitness trainer. Seek the aforementioned professionals in order to obtain proper consultation and guidance.

To Jeff - The body fat cut-off is 25%, at least that's what they wrote on my sheet at MEPS. I forgot how much I was under bodyfat wise but I got in with no problem. A lot of guys didn't pass even the second or third time around because they did too much cardio or nothing but cardio and running. That's why if you're in a situation where you need to lose a lot of body fat in a short amount of time it's best to ramp up your metabolism, increase protein intake while dropping as much carbs from your diet as possible as well as eliminate as much water from your cells as possible. Too much running with too little or no free weight training actually causes your muscles to plateau and muscle atrophy. Basic heavy-lifting movements like bench pressing, dead lifting and squats burn a lot of calories while maintaining, if not increasing muscle mass. Circuit training is also great for activating as many muscle groups as possible, thereby increasing fat burning potential. The key to this type of training is it's short term, which I would suggest. Over time I would increase cardiovascular training and decrease heavy lifting exercises.

And to the moderators: Thank you for allowing me to access my posts in order to correct errors.

To dgorilla - Since I couldn't correct my previous errors I will make the corrections in this post. The average adult male can burn upwards of 1200 calories or more on the elliptical machine in an hour provided that they use the type of machine where you utilize arms and legs and use moderate resistance. Combined with an intense circuit training regimen you can burn up to 3500 calories if not more, particularly, if you're training twice a day.
                      Last edited by VICEROY06; January 3rd, 2011, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X