X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strengthening the Core

First trip to MEPS Lansing is going to be a hoot, make sure and be on time for the 'speech' at the hotel, usually it starts at 1930, the 'warden' always likes to get on someone's case who doesn't show up (don't be that person). They'll either show you a video in the hotel or on the bus depending what the size of your group is, if you can stay awake it tells you about a dozen times that you'll be tested for drugs / alcohol & HIV and testing positive for either will drum you out, the latter - forever, the former - temporarily. The rest of the day is stand in this line / stand in that line, get poked , prodded, the 'underwear olympics' is an experience, you think it's cold in the room to start but after all the movements it feels hot. ASVAB (if you need it) is on a computer, they give you your score, then lunch (which is usually pretty good; sandwiches, cookies, chips, pop / water). Contract & swearing in goes pretty quick if you're doing it that day, stand in this / that line, etc. Overall pretty painless, some people were afraid of needles for the blood draw but it seriously takes 30 sec at most, and plus, you're going in the Army, come on.

The most important thing is get plenty of rest / hydration the day before & RELAX, there's absolutely no reason to be nervous at all, I was freaked out and I'm 29, and afterwards I thought - what the heck was I so worked up over (probably just wanted to do as well as I could). You'll do great, and if you get popped for something, you get the documentation / whatever you need to get by it and the 2nd time is a breeze, keep a positive attitude and you'll do great.

Comment

Originally posted by alphamikefoxtrot View Post
      First trip to MEPS Lansing is going to be a hoot, make sure and be on time for the 'speech' at the hotel, usually it starts at 1930, the 'warden' always likes to get on someone's case who doesn't show up (don't be that person). They'll either show you a video in the hotel or on the bus depending what the size of your group is, if you can stay awake it tells you about a dozen times that you'll be tested for drugs / alcohol & HIV and testing positive for either will drum you out, the latter - forever, the former - temporarily. The rest of the day is stand in this line / stand in that line, get poked , prodded, the 'underwear olympics' is an experience, you think it's cold in the room to start but after all the movements it feels hot. ASVAB (if you need it) is on a computer, they give you your score, then lunch (which is usually pretty good; sandwiches, cookies, chips, pop / water). Contract & swearing in goes pretty quick if you're doing it that day, stand in this / that line, etc. Overall pretty painless, some people were afraid of needles for the blood draw but it seriously takes 30 sec at most, and plus, you're going in the Army, come on.

The most important thing is get plenty of rest / hydration the day before & RELAX, there's absolutely no reason to be nervous at all, I was freaked out and I'm 29, and afterwards I thought - what the heck was I so worked up over (probably just wanted to do as well as I could). You'll do great, and if you get popped for something, you get the documentation / whatever you need to get by it and the 2nd time is a breeze, keep a positive attitude and you'll do great.
      My recruiter is taking me Tuesday the 22nd (even though it is in the same town I live in); ASVAB that afternoon and then staying in a hotel (even though in my town) for timliness and convenience sake.

Not too concerned about the ASVAB, I do well on the practice tests; ace all the English and electronics, do well on basic math and have 'taught myself' Algebra (with the help from my 14 year old who is in physics...LOL) as I never took it in high school. As long as I get a 110 for my OCS application, I will be happy.

Not worried about the underwear olympics, although my recruiter stressed wearing 'appropriate' undergarments which made me laugh that there was even a reason for him to warn me (past recruit I'd assume...). Needles? LOL....no problem! I've had 2 kids and if you think a little blood poke is bad? Try having a looong needle and catheter put in your SPINE for an epidural.

I'm praying I get to swear in that day; my FCP is currently sitting on the ATAG's desk as MI new AG is out of the country (from what I hear). My BF, who is a Captain, is going to swear me in regardless of when it is..

I'm so excited I can't stand it; I've waited 30 years to get here, so my nerves are simply wanting to be DONE with the entry process.

I'm still working on that core; I get up at 04:30 anyway, so I do my PU/SU, planks and some homework before even heading off to work! I'll get there or I'll die trying....HOOAH!

Comment

Yeah, I think your GT score is what they really look at for 90% of things, your raw percentile score is important but it's all about the job you want to do in the end because each job requires different minimums in each focused area. Maybe you'll luck out and get your own suite like I did my first time thru at MEPS, the 2nd time thru I wasn't so lucky, I got stuck ith a guy who woudn't STHU about how he wasn't sure this was 'for him' and he wasn't even swearing in he was just doing the physical, after numerous attempts on my part to convince him to just stick it out and at least go thru the physical to get it out of the way he went to bed, for about an hour, and at 3am decided to reiterate his entire diatribe and then have a friend come and pick him up, and then the next day it was ME that caught heck for him not showing up. Oh well, drive on.

Comment

Yeah, I think your GT score is what they really look at for 90% of things, your raw percentile score is important but it's all about the job you want to do in the end because each job requires different minimums in each focused area. Maybe you'll luck out and get your own suite like I did my first time thru at MEPS, the 2nd time thru I wasn't so lucky, I got stuck ith a guy who woudn't STHU about how he wasn't sure this was 'for him' and he wasn't even swearing in he was just doing the physical, after numerous attempts on my part to convince him to just stick it out and at least go thru the physical to get it out of the way he went to bed, for about an hour, and at 3am decided to reiterate his entire diatribe and then have a friend come and pick him up, and then the next day it was ME that caught heck for him not showing up. Oh well, drive on.
          Hopefully I will only have to do this once, but as long as I can enlist before they go and lower the age limit on me, I'll be pleased.

I am enlisting 09S (OCS candidate) so I need a 110 but I haven't decided what branch I am interested in (one step at a time and not counting my chickens before they're hatched, etc...).

You specified Lansing MEPS? Is that where you went? Why were they upset with YOU that the other kid bailed? Just curious..... Lunch sounds interesting...LOL I usually have a soy protein shake or a small pieve of protein and brown rice; I don't think I've ingested hardly ANY sugar or white carbs for a long time!

Thanks!

Comment

Not worried about the underwear olympics, although my recruiter stressed wearing 'appropriate' undergarments which made me laugh that there was even a reason for him to warn me (past recruit I'd assume...).
            Nailed it! If you realize that all signs and warnings are there because someone actually did the stupid thing they warn against, it makes life so much more amusing. Anyway, good luck with it all, Chris. Sounds like you'll have no problem at all, and we'll all be hoping the best for you!

Comment

I went thru Lansing MEPS 2x (since my ASVAB / Phys & Contract were on different days). Any special diets are going to go out the window in BCT, we're going to be so hungry we'll eat anything that's put in front of us (unless you have an allergy) from what I've been told. I'm working out hard and eating 3,000+ calories a day and can't keep weight on, I can't imagine how hungry I'm going to be at BCT, good cripes!

Comment

I went thru Lansing MEPS 2x (since my ASVAB / Phys & Contract were on different days). Any special diets are going to go out the window in BCT, we're going to be so hungry we'll eat anything that's put in front of us (unless you have an allergy) from what I've been told. I'm working out hard and eating 3,000+ calories a day and can't keep weight on, I can't imagine how hungry I'm going to be at BCT, good cripes!
                Oh, I know, that is what I hear and am expecting as well. I only have been eating super healthy to cut weight and avoid sluggishness from junk food.

I am not on any particular 'special diet' per se....just cut out sugar and most white flour carbs. I am still working out a lot, but have cur back on the 'hard', almost seriously messed up my knee a couple weeks ago. Mainly focusing on my PU, SU & planks to stregthen my core.

Comment

Working...
                X