X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather running

Ok so I haven't gone running in a while and now that it's cold it's not easier.Should I still go running outside in freezing cold weather? I wish I could go to a gym and run on a treadmill but I don't have the $ for a membership nor a way to get to the gym.I'm just unsure of whether its smart or not to go running in freezing weather.

Re: Cold weather running

Yes, run your backside off, even in freezing weather.
    Last edited by Squash; November 27th, 2010, 11:50 PM. Reason: can't say *** on this forum

Comment

I'm facing the same problem now. Here is few tips: "Running with the wind reduces the effect of wind chill. It is a good idea to run into the wind to start off your run, and then return with the wind at your back. This will lessen the chilling effect of the wind on your body after you have perspired, and make the return trip easier. Don't forget that during and after long winter runs, you will still require fluid replacement. Skin protection should also be used. A balaclava is a fine idea to use to cover your face, and keep the cold air from triggering bronchospasm. A number of articles over the years have found that it isn't merely breathing cold air that contributes to asthma and bronchial constriction, but "facial cooling" that triggers the response. This is considered a reflexive triggering of the vagus nerve. Facial cooling can trigger other vagal nerve reactions, including slowing up of heart beat, which will limit your ability to exercise."

Comment

Don't let inclement weather stop your physical training, because inclement weather doesn't stop combat operations. Just dress accordingly.

Comment

I ran a 10k the Saturday after Thanksgiving with a bunch of people, and I think the key is your hands and head. Keep those two extremities warm and you should be fine. It was sunny, and about 35 degrees when we had our 10k. Other than the head and hands, I was dressed in shorts and a long sleeve shirt. After maybe 20 minutes of running I was warm enough, but never felt hot.

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
            Ok so I haven't gone running in a while and now that it's cold it's not easier.Should I still go running outside in freezing cold weather? I wish I could go to a gym and run on a treadmill but I don't have the $ for a membership nor a way to get to the gym.I'm just unsure of whether its smart or not to go running in freezing weather.
            Another fellow Utahan (Sandy). I am running in 30 + degree weather. The key is to layer your clothing. It is better to have too much, take some off and still run than to freeze the whole run. I have a balaclava but I am not using it too much as it inhibits my breathing. I seem to enjoy running in freezing rain the most (ran last night). The key is to run, and run consistently. I draw the line when the weather drops below 30 F or if there is too much ice and snow on the road as I don't want to break anything.

Are you a student? If so, consider going to your school's gym. I am finishing school and do this when it is too cold outside.

Running in cold weather is a mental thing just like everything else with running. If you get cold, run faster

Good luck to you! I am hoping to join the Guard in 4-6 months as I am in the process of getting into shape and losing a few pounds. I would join the Utah Guard, but alas I am too old, (38 years old) so it is either the WY or NV guard for me.
            Last edited by a224932; December 11th, 2010, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
              Don't let inclement weather stop your physical training, because inclement weather doesn't stop combat operations. Just dress accordingly.
              This......

Comment

HYDRATE, dress accordingly, breathe in thru your nose and out thru your mouth, this will pre-warm the air as it enters your lungs and will cause less discomfort. A balaclava is an excellent idea - I se one myself. Keeping your head and hands warm will go miles to keep you comfortable. I wear (winter) running tights, a mid-weight under-armour top underneath a windproof running jacket, balaclava, sunglasses, windproof hat & gloves and I'm usually good for up to 10 miles or until I lose feeling in my face / legs which will happen fast if you're going into the wind. I've always heard the addage 'every mile in winer is two for your body' since you're burning more calories to stay warm at the same time. As always, be careful, watch for hazards and drnk PLENTY of water.

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
                  Fedor dose it and he's a russian lol. I run in 50 degree weather and be preparied if you havn't already got that cough it's from the cold air hitting the warm lungs and throat. Thats only 50 degree and you'll notice the cold makes you perform better than 110 degree weather, at my top peak I can't perform in very hot climates I gas out and get sick........thats my opinion

Comment

I freakin' HATE running in cold weather. I didn't say I couldn't run in it, I'm just saying I hate it. Best thing to do is to BREATHE THROUGH YOUR NOSE. Keep your mouth closed. Even if you end up blowing a little snot, then blow a little snot. If you inhale through your mouth, especially if you run for a significant distance, you'll be on your knees and coughing up everything but your colon.

I did my two miles during drill last month--I kept my mouth closed, clocked good time in 30 degree weather and was fine until I went back inside the climate controlled, room temperature building. within about ten minutes I was coughing like I smoked a whole box of Cuban Rejects for about 2 hours. It got so bad some of the NCO's got concerned. But I kept pushing along for the rest of drill.

Comment

Running in cold is miserable. I got spoiled being stationed in Hawaii for 3 years...now I'm in fricken Massachusetts. Best way to deal with it is to just, well, deal with it. You do get used to it and it becomes more tolerable.

Comment

I love running in the cold. I have done runs with temps as low as single digits. I did this mornings 3.5 mile run with temps around 32. Felt great

Comment

Originally posted by LeftyMedic View Post
                          I love running in the cold. I have done runs with temps as low as single digits. I did this mornings 3.5 mile run with temps around 32. Felt great
                          Proof that medics are crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by MPThink View Post
                            Proof that medics are crazy.
                            Oh yeah lol

Comment

Originally posted by LeftyMedic View Post
                              You're probably a morning person too, aren't you. Go be positive and motivating somewhere else, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X