Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running...

Hi,
    I'm 36 old and in full mode preparations for BCT / OSUT (shipping out to Fort Benning in mid Jan. 2011). Now my 2 mile running times are all over the map. My best is 15:30 and worst 16:49 with average time slightly over 16:00. So question is, what should i start doing to be more consistent. Right now I'm running every other day. I don't have any muscles pains or anything like this. It almost looks like i need to improve my cardio...any tips are welcome...

Re: Running...

keep running.. that's about it, seriously.

Comment

Yes, keep at it. You should be fine. The fear of the unknown in BT/AIT can be a great motivator.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
        Yes, keep at it. You should be fine. The fear of the unknown in BT/AIT can be a great motivator.
        I just want to improve to 13:00 so i can put some youngsters to shame...;-)...or avoid being overrun by them...

Comment

Enjoy http://www.howtopasstheapft.com/the-...-test-run.html

Comment

Originally posted by robert178 View Post
            I just want to improve to 13:00 so i can put some youngsters to shame...;-)...or avoid being overrun by them...
            Don't worry about them, you're scored on different age groups so it's ok to run slower than them. Run on the road or sidewalk once or twice a week to know how it feels and keep your body acclimated... but don't overdo it. It's actually really bad for your knees and lower back. the elipitical is a great machine, as well as the bike. less stress on the knees, keeps the breathing and lungs good to go!

Comment

I always find it funny how the "old" guys try so hard to look good in front of the "young" guys. Let me tell you something.....us "young" guys don't care! We don't! It's not as competitive out there as you think.

Comment

...any tips are welcome...
                Run faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Squash View Post
                  Run faster.
                  Ha, ha, ha...well for now it looks like i must buy new running shoes. After few weeks of intense training my NB's are literally falling a part. I wish i still have a receipt with me...i guess i wasnt expecting the bottom of the shoe to seperate so quickly...

Comment

I use this website to keep track of my running. http://runkeeper.com/user/wthomas39/profile

Comment

Originally posted by wthomas View Post
                      I use this website to keep track of my running. http://runkeeper.com/user/wthomas39/profile
                      Nice. What running shoes you are using now (if i may ask)? I have to buy new ones...i guess they will force me to buy new running shoes at Fort Benning anyhow, but i need something to continue my training now...

Comment

I run in some cheap but comfortable L.A. Gear shoes I picked up for $19 at Big 5, and some powerstep arch supports. I have really flat feet but with this combo I've been able to run pain free. http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.c...47132&offerid=
                        Last edited by wthomas; October 12th, 2010, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I was the same way when I went to OSUT. I was at 14:00 when I left for Benning. I thought no problem with getting down to 12:00, little did I know I was going to sprain both knees in the first week. The pain was **** near unbearable for over a month. I fought through, no sick call, but was only able to get to 12:59. I run three times a week. Mix in longer distances with 60-120's and keep pushing. It will drop. But, it will be slow once you hit your plateau.

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                          I always find it funny how the "old" guys try so hard to look good in front of the "young" guys. Let me tell you something.....us "young" guys don't care! We don't! It's not as competitive out there as you think.
                          All I know is that I was in the top 10% of my company for PT score and believe me it was competitive. The young guys constantly gave shiat to the old guys who couldn't hang and to me as well when my knees were all F'd up. It was competitive to the point that after our last APFT they did another for the top 10% the next morning to get the #1 guy (340). My score was a 290. Nothing great I know, especially considering I had a 291 before I left. That's what happens to us old guys with our bad knees. Brings back horrible memories... LOL..

I'm 32 by the way. OLD

Comment

Originally posted by azIce View Post
                            I was going to sprain both knees in the first week. The pain was **** near unbearable for over a month.
                            Wow...great story. How did you "managed" to sprain both knees?

Comment

I've been following this program for the past month, and it's definitely helped!

http://www.howtopasstheapft.com/the-...-test-run.html

Prior to that I did a combination of 1-2 mile runs for time, and wind sprints.

When I started my training last December, I hadn't done any running for a year and a half and had been smoking a pack a day during that time, along with a terrible diet and nutrition - my weight was within limits but I was knocking back energy drinks and fast food way too much. Initially I had difficult just making it past 3/4 mile, but now am getting similar run times to yours and my cardio has improved immensely.

Be sure to do good stretching to avoid shin splints as well.

Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X