X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Running...

Us young guys like to give the old guys **** about PT because they can do everything else better than us (minus shooting).

Comment

Originally posted by azIce View Post
      I'm 32 by the way. OLD
      Old......I was your age 15 years ago.......(HEAVY SIGH)

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
        Us young guys like to give the old guys **** about PT because they can do everything else better than us (minus shooting).
        Hopefuly one day we can setup some shooting competition. I promise to shoot from M4 with my left hand tight behind my back and holding my rifle in standing position with right hand only just to keep the things fair for you...;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu View Post
          Old......I was your age 15 years ago.......(HEAVY SIGH)
          Haha, well I know where he's coming from. I was a 26 year old PFC. That's not that old in the scheme of things, but when you look around and see NCOs younger than you, it makes you feel like you wasted some time somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Teuvil View Post
            Name the Time and Place. We can run, shoot for Qual, run again, shoot for Distance, run again and shoot pistol for qual.. Time and place. You challenged and I accepted. Bring it Young Buck.. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by azIce View Post
              All I know is that I was in the top 10% of my company for PT score and believe me it was competitive. The young guys constantly gave shiat to the old guys who couldn't hang and to me as well when my knees were all F'd up. It was competitive to the point that after our last APFT they did another for the top 10% the next morning to get the #1 guy (340). My score was a 290. Nothing great I know, especially considering I had a 291 before I left. That's what happens to us old guys with our bad knees. Brings back horrible memories... LOL..

I'm 32 by the way. OLD
              Excuse my ignorance, but I thought the scores were out of a possible 300? How did the 340 come about?

Comment

When u max out in all three categories, there is an extended scale they use to compute additional points.

Comment

Gotcha, thanks for the answer.

Comment

Guys,
                    After weeks if "research" i think i have found golden formula for me. Let's say i'm kicking off week on Monday with 2 mile timed run. On Tuesday i'm riding my bicycle for at least 30 minutes - i'm doing sprints on bike, especially when i have changes in elevation and i have to climb. When riding on flat i'm just cruising and so on. Then on Wednesday i'm running 2 mile timed. Thursday back to bike. Friday 2 mile timed run, Saturday bike, Sunday 2 mile timed run. Now Monday is full day of rest. Starting new "week" on Tuesday with bike procedure and so on. I hope it makes sense to you guys.

After 2 weeks of this type of the workout i have improved my running time from 16:30 to 15:10...I was improving my time gradually - with every run i was getting better and better results. I'm also recovering much faster. As i said i have tried other programs in the past but this type of the workout seems to be best for me. I think cycling on bike every other day helps to relax your muscles, but also improves your stamina. It really helps if you can "climb" on the bike up to the hill - this puts heavy load on your lungs! Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

would be interesting to see what your time is after you do the pushups and situps, maybe do the exact thing you are doing, but maybe once a week before you run:

1. do the 2 minutes of pushups and two minutes of situps, take a short 4-5 minute break, then time your run.

I'm just curious how much/if your run time goes up because of the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by 49thadband View Post
                        would be interesting to see what your time is after you do the pushups and situps, maybe do the exact thing you are doing, but maybe once a week before you run:

1. do the 2 minutes of pushups and two minutes of situps, take a short 4-5 minute break, then time your run.

I'm just curious how much/if your run time goes up because of the other two.
                        I did this full routine few times already. It actually feels better because my muscles are nicely warmed up after pushups and situps. So to answer to your question, i have not noticed any difference in time, but it felt like i can run smoother. Purely it was impression only, because it had no impact on my time.
                        However for last 2 days i was knocked out because of cold. I went back to running today morning and my legs were like made of concrete. I have run only for one mile and fast walked for another one...it is amazing what few days without "physical stress" can do to you...i'm deeply disappointed in myself...but with cold weather already here i have learned valuable lesson: protect your body better from cold when exercising outdoors...

Comment

If you are having trouble with consistency in your times you could try timed interval training. For example, I average a 12.30 minute mile. My goal for my PT test in a month is 11.50. In order to accomplish this goal I need to average 5.55 minutes a mile OR 2.52 for the 1/2 mile. So to train for my 11.50 2 mile I start with a 1/2 mile warm up jog. Then I RUN 1/2 mile with a target time of 3.00 flat or under. Then I walk a 1/4 mile, jog 1/4 mile then RUN 1/2 mile again with a target time of 3.00 flat or under. I total 4 sets. At this point my body and lungs have run 2 miles at a 12.00 flat pace just not consecutively. This is performed at least 2 times the first week. Second week I start with a 1/2 mile jog then run 1 mile in 6.00 flat or under. I then repeat what I did the week prior in terms of 1/2 mile intervals for 3 sets. At this point my body has run 2.5 miles at a 15.00 minute pace just not consecutively. Next week its the same process except the first timed interval is 1.5 miles in 9.00 flat and you repeat the pattern. You keep increasing the first timed interval until you run 1/2 mile OVER your target distance. So for me the program would stop at 2.5 miles at a 15.00 minute pace as the first interval. If my target is a 3 mile event then the program would end with 3.5 miles at a 21.00 minute pace as the first interval.

This program trains your body and lungs to hold a consitent pace over a given distance. I used this same program last year and nearly accomplished my goal. Ran a 12.07.

So if you are running between a 15-16 minute 2 mile now, have your 1/2 mile intervals target 3.30 minutes or under. This will set you up for a 14.00. It wont take you long to reach that goal. Then go for the 13.00 flat with the 1/2 mile intervals targeting 3.15 or under. Only increase your first interval distance if you manage to run it in the target time or faster. Otherwise reapeat unitil you do. Should be performed 2-3 times a week with a long run worked into the training week. The long run is not timed, distance is more important than time in this case. The distance depends on you, but I would say at least 5 miles. You could also work in your stationary bike training as well.

Hope this made sense. Good luck in your goal, either way you go the real key is to be consistent with your training and which ever program you use.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                            have your 1/2 mile intervals target 3.30 minutes or under. This will set you up for a 14.00. It wont take you long to reach that goal. Then go for the 13.00 flat with the 1/2 mile intervals targeting 3.15 or under. Only increase your first interval distance if you manage to run it in the target time or faster. Otherwise reapeat unitil you do. Should be performed 2-3 times a week with a long run worked into the training week. The long run is not timed, distance is more important than time in this case. The distance depends on you, but I would say at least 5 miles. You could also work in your stationary bike training as well.

Hope this made sense. Good luck in your goal, either way you go the real key is to be consistent with your training and which ever program you use.
                            This sounds good. I will give it a shot. I still have time to improve my performance. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X