Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... what happens if you fail the APFT?

My first drill is this weekend, and my commanding officer has indicated that, since the make-up PT test for the unit is this weekend I might as well go ahead and take it. I'm a direct commissioned officer (JAG), so I haven't done boot camp or any training of any sort. This month, I have worked in the civilian world from 0600 to 2200 nearly every single day, so there's been almost no time for PT at all. I've run four or five times and done the pushups and situps twice. Needless to say, I am OUT of shape, and probably will not pass the PT test this weekend.

What happens then?

Re: So... what happens if you fail the APFT?

You'll get flagged, take a hit on your OER, and take a dressing down from the "old man"! You need to make an honest effort and start an active PT program. Start out slow with 30 mins a day. Run for 20 mins and do some resistance training for 10 mins.

Just because you are a DC officer (JAG)...Soldiers still look up to you. You need to lead by example. Quit making excuses and get off your duff and make it happen!

Don't sell yourself short. I'm sure even if your out of shape you can get 180 and pass the APFT. Give it your all and then once you pass start working on it. Good luck if all fails...pull a private move and go on PROFILE!

Comment

30 minutes a day would be great... except I don't have 30 minutes this month. I think I may be able to eke out a 180 maybe. Working three jobs and fathering two children under the age of 2 keeps me from being a total slob physically, but it in no way makes me able to run 2 miles in under 17 minutes or do 39 pushups. This was NOT a good month for a surprise PT test, civilian work wise.

Hopefully I pass the test (and then pass out and spend the rest of drill in the hospital), and it won't matter what the consequences of failing are. :-)

Comment

There is always 30min a day to squeeze a workout in. Find those 30min and stick to them.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKhan View Post
          My first drill is this weekend, and my commanding officer has indicated that, since the make-up PT test for the unit is this weekend I might as well go ahead and take it. I'm a direct commissioned officer (JAG), so I haven't done boot camp or any training of any sort. This month, I have worked in the civilian world from 0600 to 2200 nearly every single day, so there's been almost no time for PT at all. I've run four or five times and done the pushups and situps twice. Needless to say, I am OUT of shape, and probably will not pass the PT test this weekend.

What happens then?
          What age group are you in?

Comment

30 years old.

I do have 45 minutes at lunch and 30 minutes at suppertime to eat. I could also work out at those times, but I'd have to fit in some form of bathing and putting a suit-and-tie back on. Not going to happen, especially in a workplace with no showers.

EDIT: This thread wasn't meant to be a "woe is me, I can't find time to PT" discussion. Starting in October, I will have plenty of time to work out and I'll be able to make a schedule, etc. I didn't come here to complain. My passing or failing the PT test is on me. I just wanted to know what happens if/when I fail it.

I got word in late July that I would be getting a commission (LONG after I'd given up hope of that), I swore in in August, and I take the APFT this weekend. IF I had started to PT in July like I should have, then taking the month of September off from PT wouldn't be as big a deal. And then when the CO said "You're taking the PT test next weekend" (which my recruiter said wouldn't happen until March or April) I wouldn't be in such bad shape. I didn't PT in August as well as I should have (I wasn't a total slacker, but still). So now I'm out of shape and have a PT pop quiz this weekend, which I may very well fail.
            Last edited by SabreKhan; September 14th, 2010, 12:17 PM.

Comment

One thing you should do is make sure you are eating healthy and cut all the **** out fo your diet if there is any? Eat LOTS of fruit

Comment

Well if you have that much on your plate...sounds like two options make time or quit.

Our state surgeon (Senior Flt surgeon) doubles as a county corner, Chief of family practice (local hospital), and running for State Senator....ole dude (53...seven yrs older than I) is an Colonel and a beast on the PT field.

Sometimes you just have too be creative in getting a workout in. Everybody has a life, family, and "extra curricular" activities!

You work in a office? Do 50 push-ups ( takes a min or two) every hour you work, Walk the stairs to another floor, or to the courthouse. Most professionals have a "lenient flex time" put on your "go fasters" and go get some!

Or when you get home at 2200....go run two miles do your daily sevens and walk in the door at 2240, go get you a shower..then get some real PT with momma!

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
                  Well if you have that much on your plate...sounds like two options make time or quit.

Our state surgeon (Senior Flt surgeon) doubles as a county corner, Chief of family practice (local hospital), and running for State Senator....ole dude (53...seven yrs older than I) is an Colonel and a beast on the PT field.

Sometimes you just have too be creative in getting a workout in. Everybody has a life, family, and "extra curricular" activities!

You work in a office? Do 50 push-ups ( takes a min or two) every hour you work, Walk the stairs to another floor, or to the courthouse. Most professionals have a "lenient flex time" put on your "go fasters" and go get some!

Or when you get home at 2200....go run two miles do your daily sevens and walk in the door at 2240, go get you a shower..then get some real PT with momma!
                  You hit the nail on the head when you said be creative I mean it's important to be flexible. One thing that you could use is get one of those collapable pullup/chinup bars and bring it to the office. I'm sure your coworkers will get a kick out of that. But hey it works. Also do what USMC said for the Push ups, for your abs and doing the sit ups get a 25 pound Kettlebell and use that for ab exercises they are so effective that using that alone will get you to pass the sit ups.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
                    then get some real PT with momma!
                    Sadly, we have not put in the requisite 6 weeks since the birth of our second child, as mandated by the OB doc.

Comment

There is always time. As an officer your soldiers will never have faith in you if you bring excuses. They can ***** all day, but the second you do, they know something is really wrong. Take a "smoke break" and do some pushups, or even flex and release your abs while sitting in front of the computer to help tighten the muscle group. $hit, I think even the shake weight can help you out if you're just sitting there. Bottom line, excuses of no time work in the civilian world, but in the army, the time for those is gone, its game time! You can do it!
                      Last edited by matthew.ritchie; September 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM. Reason: removed quoted reference to post deleted for rudeness

Comment

I think people are missing the point here. I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying the PT hasn't been done. The test is FOUR DAYS from now. There is NO WAY on God's green Earth to gain ANYTHING significant on the APFT in 4 days, even if I had all day every day to PT. We can argue about what I already should have done at a later time.

So, to plan for the worst (I am a lawyer after all): how does one overcome a failed APFT?

How soon can I take another one and pass it? (It shouldn't take me more than a couple of weeks to get in shape for it)

How bad would it look on my record to fail it? What are the consequences of failure?

What does "having a profile" mean?

Am I allowed to punch the recruiter for telling me I wouldn't have to be in shape until the springtime? (just kidding)

Comment

Soldiers who fail any portion of the APFT must re-take the entire APFT within three months (unless they have an approved medical profile). Soldiers who fail the APFT are flagged in accordance with Army Regulation 600-8-2, Suspension of Favorable Personnel Actions. Individuals who are flagged for APFT failure are not eligibile for promotion, reenlistment or enlistment extension

I found too much information to paste in here. Keep in mind there are specific regs regarding this to National Guard verses Active Duty and will be mentioned in the Army Reg. Command also makes a few rules of their own especially when dealing with the time between retakes and if a passing diagnostic is required before taking another record. Unfortunately our job is to be physically fit so surprise tests shouldnt be an issue as far as at least passing. I had a 'surprise' diagnostic (okay had a week) and threw up twice and blacked out in line to get weighed afterwards. I know I gave it my all! lol Passed but disappointed in self.

I normally say help the poster and dont just paste links or where it can be found, but i do think if you google the Army Reg (AR) you will find what you need. Also just using APFT/failure as key words.

You have been logged into the site a bit today....
                          Last edited by WIBecky74; September 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
                            You have been logged into the site a bit today....
                            Yes, because I'm freaking out a little bit. The plan is not to fail and have to deal with all of that.

Comment

So, to plan for the worst (I am a lawyer after all): how does one overcome a failed APFT?

How soon can I take another one and pass it? (It shouldn't take me more than a couple of weeks to get in shape for it)

How bad would it look on my record to fail it? What are the consequences of failure?

What does "having a profile" mean?

Am I allowed to punch the recruiter for telling me I wouldn't have to be in shape until the springtime? (just kidding)
                              1. how does one overcome a failed APFT? Answer: If you fail I'm sure your commander will put you on a redial PT schedule until you can pass your APFT.

2. How soon can I take another one and pass it? (It shouldn't take me more than a couple of weeks to get in shape for it) Answer: Could be next drill or a couple of drills depends on you and getting in shape to pass a APFT.

3. How bad would it look on my record to fail it? What are the consequences of failure? Answer: Failure of APFT is unsatisfactory performance. It is a black eye and looks very bad on a Leader of soldiers! Granted you are a lawyer but you are a "officer and a gentleman". You lose respect of the enlisted men under you by not meeting the "basic requirement" of being a soldier and a OFFICER! Consequences A-z-z chewed out by your CO, Negative OER (FitRep), and remember your rated with your cohorts will restrict you from getting promoted being (flagged)

4. What does "having a profile" mean? Answer: Profile is documentation you get usually from a military medical facility stating you have limitations performing regular duties. Hence I said pull a pvt. I'm sick or pulled a hammy!

5.Am I allowed to punch the recruiter for telling me I wouldn't have to be in shape until the springtime? (just kidding)[/QUOTE] Answer: Sure thing...however expect a beat down for making him/her look bad for being unsat..lol

Just get in shape quickly.....you should have no problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X