X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pull up bar options

So our OCS cadre has been assigning us PT for the weeks. 5 days a week PT, and two days of rest, 3 of the work outs are mandatory and specific, the other two are custom days for us to decide what to do.

One of my mandatory work outs this week contains pull ups, and I dont have a pull up bar at home (yet), my garage is in the process of being dual-purposed into a cross-fit gym (including pull up bar) and a garage but the installer tore his rotator cuff in his shoulder and is out for a few weeks.

Until then, does anyone have any recommendations on pull up bar alternatives? The door way pull up bars dont really work for me, since I'm 6'3 and a bit too tall for them. I'm thinking tonight I'm going to go out and use a tree in the woods if I can find one suitable.

any other ideas?

Re: pull up bar options

For my P90X bar, I made one out of a 2x6 and some 3/4" galvanized pipe. Cost about $15. I hung two pieces of 2x6 vertically from floor joists (attach with a couple of lag bolts) in the basement laundry room. This could work in your basement (if any part is unfinished and your ceiling is high enough) or garage.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
      So our OCS cadre has been assigning us PT for the weeks. 5 days a week PT, and two days of rest, 3 of the work outs are mandatory and specific, the other two are custom days for us to decide what to do.

One of my mandatory work outs this week contains pull ups, and I dont have a pull up bar at home (yet), my garage is in the process of being dual-purposed into a cross-fit gym (including pull up bar) and a garage but the installer tore his rotator cuff in his shoulder and is out for a few weeks.

Until then, does anyone have any recommendations on pull up bar alternatives? The door way pull up bars dont really work for me, since I'm 6'3 and a bit too tall for them. I'm thinking tonight I'm going to go out and use a tree in the woods if I can find one suitable.

any other ideas?
      Hmmm well first what you could do is with the pull up bar in the doorway until your garage is set up properly set one up in the doorway and when you use it just squat down and raise your arms up then grab it. Once you grab it take your legs and bend them so that they are pointing out and are crossed. I think you get what I mean. Is there a park near you? Usually there are pull up bars installed there for use by the public.

Comment

Originally posted by upnorthguy
        For my P90X bar, I made one out of a 2x6 and some 3/4" galvanized pipe. Cost about $15. I hung two pieces of 2x6 vertically from floor joists (attach with a couple of lag bolts) in the basement laundry room. This could work in your basement (if any part is unfinished and your ceiling is high enough) or garage.
        Good Lord!!! How wide are your floor joists??? Shouldnt they be about 18", becareful walking around.

Look for Monkey Bars at a Playground or something you can hang from. Some tracks or School Football Fields have Dip Bars and Pullup Bars. But I am a big fan of the improvised Playground urban Workout.

Comment

Also don't go joining a gym because your just gonna be wasting money for the most part.

Comment

[QUOTE=Phantom]Good Lord!!! How wide are your floor joists??? Shouldnt they be about 18", becareful walking around. [QUOTE]

Joists are 2x6", standard 16" on center. I hung the vertical 2x6" pieces on joists 1 and 4 (48" apart). Drilled a hole 7/8" hole in each and voila. I also put a 90 elbow and a short pipe stub on one end and clamped it down to the vertical support to keep the bar from spinning.

I would only have to be careful walking around in the laundry room if I was a foot taller (or had some flubber on the bottom of my shoes)!

Comment

That makes sense, I had a mental pic of you trying to get your head, hands and body, in that small space. LOL

Comment

Working...
              X