X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shin Splints/ Calf soreness

So I took a couple weeks off running, to allow the pain to subside. First run, back at it and I'm sorer than ever. I start RSP next month and would really like to have my mile time in line, but I don't know how to train if I cant run without injury. Not sure what else to do, I have the correct shoes with custom insoles, I'm stretching my calfs before running, only thing I can see to correct is maybe landing on the heel, I try to land on the balls of my feet when possible, but its not natural for me so it takes a bit of concentration. Based on my research the pain I'm feeling is most likely not a stress fracture, but I haven't been to a Dr yet. Not sure what else to do for it, just frustrated with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-O View Post
      Stretching is what cured my leg pain problems. I started out like you and just started running. That didnt last long. Pretty soon, the pain was so bad I could barely walk (whether from my shin pain, or my knee) even though only 1 leg was giving me trouble. I ended up going to a sports medicine doctor who ended up working the knots out of the muscle under my shin bone. I technically didnt have "shin splints" as there were no fractures in the bone. That took several weeks to get rid of going a couple times a week. In the meantime, he showed me all the stretches I was supposed to be doing. IT band, ham string, quad, calf and the muscle under the calf. I have it down to a science now and stay relatively pain free unless I BS my warmup or throw sprints in somewhere. Great advice on form though. DO NOT land on your heels. Its counter productive. Theres a much greater impact on your legs and all that energy has to go somewhere. Also, you are actually putting opposite force against yourself for a split second as your leg lands in front of you. Find a grassy area and run around barefoot. The way you run with no shoes (heel hardly touches the ground at all) is similar to the way you should run with shoes.
      Ive gone from not being able to run across the street to running at military standards. Everyone is different, so find what works for you.
      I really like what you're saying here. Several weeks ago, I was talking to my "amateur trainer"; a pretty serious marathon runner I run with on Saturdays, I was talking about the sting in my lower back that wouldn't go away, and he suggested going to a running store to get new shoes. The sales person watches you walk on a treadmill, suggests two kinds of shoes, you wear them both at the same time, and pick one.

I did that and boy did my body take some time to get used to that. Very sore in the calves first, which was predictable, the sales lady told me the shoe would kind of force me to land closer to the front of my foot, instead of my heel. I think it has actually taken me about 4-6 weeks to actually get used to the change. My calves still get somewhat sore, but I think it's worth it. No sting in lower back, and I can run a looooooong time.

When I ran that 15k the other day, my left calf felt tight like it might start really hurting, so I concentrated on giving the right calf equal time on the tilt of the street.

The tightness did disappear and I finished the race with no pain.

Comment

dont know if you have already gone to basic yet but, your problem with shin pain is typically tied into over striding and striking hard on your heels. shorten your stride and keep your feet landing under you (maybe just a little forward) with a slight forward lean. this should feel natural.
        concentrate on your heels being pulled up by your hammies and landing more mid foot.
        your cycle/rate per min. will increase due to the shorter strides but will be a lot more efficient and less stressful on your shins and knees.
        it has been said before and I fail to do it enough at times but, stretch before and after. ice bath you lower body as soon as you get back home.

Comment

Haven't shipped yet. Thats coming in January, I appreciate the feedback. I'm still having the same problems with Shin Splints, so perhaps it is how I'm landing. I am a heel striker and I really have to focus to land midfoot, its not natural for me. Trying to maintain breathing and also making sure I land on my feet just right is difficult hah. My first RSP drill is this weekend and I'm not down to 8.5 for the mile yet, running through my pain is difficult, but I'm not going to let it stop me from this goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanthyr View Post
            Haven't shipped yet. Thats coming in January, I appreciate the feedback. I'm still having the same problems with Shin Splints, so perhaps it is how I'm landing. I am a heel striker and I really have to focus to land midfoot, its not natural for me. Trying to maintain breathing and also making sure I land on my feet just right is difficult hah. My first RSP drill is this weekend and I'm not down to 8.5 for the mile yet, running through my pain is difficult, but I'm not going to let it stop me from this goal.
            First, go back to the running store and ask them what the issue could be. You paid for custom shoes and inserts, so, if your problem persists, make them earn their money and help you.

Second, it's starting to get in your head as you worry about breathing and your foot strike. Even before you get out the door, you're probably thinking about the shin splits you'll get in a few minutes. All normal and real, but not helpful.

You still have a lot of time before you ship out. If you can't run every other day right now without pain, don't. Do alternative cardiovascular activity and throw in a 2-mile run once per week in the meantime. Eventually, you'll have to pound the pavement, but it seems that you're letting the issue affect your overall cardiovascular fitness. Crush it on the elliptical often and throw in a run every week. At least you'll improve your "wind" and improve while you relax about the running issues and don't risk injury. Be smart and keep at it.

Comment

forgot to say in my earlier post, if you have an injury dont run till it is better.
              forget about your run times right now, just try and work on your technique. dont over analyze yourself, just dont over stride and extend your feet/landing. keep your weight directly under (or just barely forward) and keep your feet cycling with your heels going straight up towards your butt.
              do some other cardio work as mentioned by others earlier.
              just get on a training schedule and stick with it.
              8.5 min/mile should be very attainable in 60 days or so.
              be sure to warm up running a half mile or so before you do you test so you can go all out and be warmed up already.

Comment

So I went to a sports medicine Doc and got my legs X-rayed. Right leg has a stress fracture, left is just a bad shin splint. I'm on Rest until it heals.

Comment

When you're healed up...Vibram Five Fingers..... 'nuff said. Fixed me right up

Comment

Working...
                  X