X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS

I was going to put this in the Gear & Equipment forum, but since this is geared for fitness, it's more suitable here. I'll get right to the point, this watch does not acquire satellites in a fair amount of time, and definitely doesn't in the amount of time that it states in its literature. I followed the directions to the letter and tried to acquire satellites in the following locations for 3-5 minutes (according to instructions satellites should be acquired within 30-60 seconds):

In back of my house - failed
    In front of my house on top of hill - failed
    In open field under power lines - failed
    In open field w/ no obstructions - failed
    Entrance to my subdivision - failed

The unit was fully charged and at each attempt it was powered off and powered back on at each location. There are no troubleshooting instructions whatsoever as well. The heartrate monitor and stopwatch work great, but I already have one that was a bit cheaper for those functions. I bought this watch hoping to take advantage of training with a GPS and the software that comes with it to make improvements that would save me some time, effort, and frustration. I paid $165 for this and a 2 yr warranty and got dissapontment and a sore calf muscle. There are other GPS watches on the market, but they're more expensive and all of them have mixed reviews. I wouldn't suggest buying one until the technology gets better.
    Last edited by Charlie_Hustle; August 2nd, 2010, 11:03 AM.

Re: Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS

Okay, as you can probably tell, I was a bit disappointed about this watch in my last post. I drove about 30 minutes to a store that had it in stock and it didn't work at all. I contacted Garmin's tech support and was advised to update the firmware. Again, the watch failed to acquire any satellites. At this point the wife started to jump up and down yelling to get my money back. My last resort was to take it back and exchange it at a store near my unit. The exchange went great, but I came out only to find one of my marker lights hanging out my rear bumper. Some idiot hit my car!! This watch had better work!

Charged it up when I got home, and it picked up 13 satellites within 30-40 seconds. Finally! A working GPS watch is a great tool to measure your workout. Distance, pace, speed, time, heartrate can all be analyzed right on your PC to help you make faster improvements and take out some of the guess work. The only problem is that like my experience, picking the right watch for your activity is compounded by getting a defective unit.

Comment

Any particular reason you chose Garmin, say over Polar?

Comment

Hey Charlie,

where you were parked, mosttttt parking lots for shopping centers have camera surv. nowadays. I would try to remember the time / day that it happened (your car getting hit) and call the police ASAP. They may be able to catch the person who did your "hit and run" and have them pay for it verse you paying it. good luck and GPS watch, sounds heavy

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Bart

and GPS watch, sounds heavy

They are surprising light and not uncomfortable to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo View Post
            They are surprising light and not uncomfortable to use.
            Agreed, I have the 405 model (I think the only difference from the 305 is it has the heart rate monitor added) and after a few runs with it you hardly notice it's even there, it has been an indispensable training aid to say the least and not to mention handy for other uses as well.

Only 'gripe' I have is it's has a little bit of a lopsided profile so getting the right fit to your wrist takes some figuring but after you get it where you want it it's just fine, I also have the attachment to mount it to my bike handlebar so I don't have to have two bike computers between road / mountain riding.

Comment

Working...
            X