X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettlebell

Anybody here use em? I've had mine for about a month now and really like it.

Re: Kettlebell

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes
    Anybody here use em? I've had mine for about a month now and really like it.
    They are really good. I've been using em for about 2 years now

Comment

Yeah and another great thing I wanted to add in about them is that for all the exercises that are concerned you don't even need to buy teh dvd's or videos ( do they even still make video tapes? ) all you need to do is just go on youtube and type in kettlebell and boom you have everything you need.

Comment

I've been thinking about getting a couple. What weight would you recommend starting off with? I lift weights and cross train doing a variety of things (P90X, TRX, Insanity, etc.).

Comment

The important thing is not exactly the kettlebell in itself. Rather the fact that you keep up with physical fitness in general. Yes the kettlebell is cool, but for me and many others I train with, its nothing more than a change of pace. It cannot replace calisthenics and plyometrics exercises. Or other general weightlifting, (pullups, bench press, squats, etc)

Many exercises you won't need additional weight, just your own body weight. Think your body weight isn't enough to get a good workout? Try sitting down on box raised 16 inches, then with one leg and no arm support, stand up. Repeat this ten times, with each leg and 4-5 sets. You will **** life. Do body squats in a controlled movement all the way down and jump on your way up. Use a bosu ball for stability or medicine ball. Pushups with claps, flutter kicks, etc. There is so much you can do that provides gains.

Nothing is worse than that guy who sits at one machine staring off into space, texting a way on his phone, not sweating, and taking 5 minutes between sets on his machine assisted curl who expects to get ripped, then only spends 30 minutes in the gym and call its a good workout. ARGH!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie_Hustle
            I've been thinking about getting a couple. What weight would you recommend starting off with? I lift weights and cross train doing a variety of things (P90X, TRX, Insanity, etc.).
            I would highly recommend you start off at 25 pounds and go up from there. I can tell you some of the exercises are tough but great. Look up the Gladiator! Honestly what I love about the Kettlebells is that it's all the benefist of weight lifting but none of the side effects. What I mean by that is that when you lift weights you get strong but you get bulky, slow, bigger, inflexible, harder to move which ruins your push ups, sit ups and the two mile run. When you use the Kettlebell you get the strength but little to none of the side effects I just mentioned and it doesn't ruin your PT test!

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo
              The important thing is not exactly the kettlebell in itself. Rather the fact that you keep up with physical fitness in general. Yes the kettlebell is cool, but for me and many others I train with, its nothing more than a change of pace. It cannot replace calisthenics and plyometrics exercises. Or other general weightlifting, (pullups, bench press, squats, etc)

Many exercises you won't need additional weight, just your own body weight. Think your body weight isn't enough to get a good workout? Try sitting down on box raised 16 inches, then with one leg and no arm support, stand up. Repeat this ten times, with each leg and 4-5 sets. You will **** life. Do body squats in a controlled movement all the way down and jump on your way up. Use a bosu ball for stability or medicine ball. Pushups with claps, flutter kicks, etc. There is so much you can do that provides gains.

Nothing is worse than that guy who sits at one machine staring off into space, texting a way on his phone, not sweating, and taking 5 minutes between sets on his machine assisted curl who expects to get ripped, then only spends 30 minutes in the gym and call its a good workout. ARGH!
              Honestly I have only used the bench press a few times in my life and have found it to be very useless. As I mentioned above I just do push ups, sit ups, pull ups, diamond push ups, chin ups and the Kettle Bell exercises for my Abs. Then on day two it's a cardio day and I run. I would like to add in swimming but with college I just don't have the time to it.

Comment

As a sidenote I think one of the reasons that people are so out of shape in our nation today is because alot of them just don't have the time to exercise.

Comment

Honestly I have only used the bench press a few times in my life and have found it to be very useless. As I mentioned above I just do push ups, sit ups, pull ups, diamond push ups, chin ups and the Kettle Bell exercises for my Abs. Then on day two it's a cardio day and I run. I would like to add in swimming but with college I just don't have the time to it.
                  You're right. The Bench press is a compound exercise, like the pushup, it hits several major muscles at once. The fact that you can do diamond pushups, chinups and pullus, shows that you have the necessary strength.

What I meant by my post was, beginner weight lifters shouldn't just go buy several variances of kettlebell just because its the newest comeback fad. I see so many people goto the gym and I use to be one of them, just doing mind numbing exercises, and as soon as they get a necklace of sweat they are done.

As a sidenote I think one of the reasons that people are so out of shape in our nation today is because alot of them just don't have the time to exercise.
                  You're right, the things in our life that are suppose to make it easier, (cell phones, computers, laptops, dvr, microwave) makes things more complicated.

It can also be attributed to the fact PE classes starting in the 70's have been cut, extracurricular activities are becoming harder to participate for students because of cost, and or other part time jobs.

Its not an excuse that should be tolerated anymore.

The mindset needs to be, I am going to exercise. Everything else needs to be scheduled around that. Not, well, "I work 10 hours today, Ill go tomorrow." or "I don't really have time," or "I'm going to sit at home and do nothing since I have a day off work." (<--- My roommate is terrible for that last excuse)

Exercising has to become as regular to you to where it becomes unthinkable to miss a workout session. To where you can't function without working out. To where you find yourself at the gym before you even realize it. It wasn't until I finally had this mindset, to where if I was sore, sick, tired, etc, I was at the gym. And finally once I realized my body can't go without working out, (where I feel nauseated and sluggish) is when I finally started to lose weight, and get to where I need to be, MENTALLY.

Comment

I agree with everything you wrote I mean ok granted again I am understanding that people are pressed for time but how much time does it take to get up early in the morning to run and later that night when you come home from work or class to do at LEAST your push ups, sit ups, and pull ups. This is just sad

Comment

I agree with everything you wrote I mean ok granted again I am understanding that people are pressed for time but how much time does it take to get up early in the morning to run and later that night when you come home from work or class to do at LEAST your push ups, sit ups, and pull ups. This is just sad
                      Thanks for the info. about the kettlebells, and I understand the argument being made for taking the time out of your day to workout. However, sometimes life gets in the way and sacrifices have to be made. Speaking from experience as a former over the road truck driver and now working in law enforcement, sometimes I just don't feel like working out after a 16 hr. day busting my butt. Especially when I'm in school and trying to maintain a g.p.a. above 3.5! I'm not bragging, I just try to excel at whatever I set my mind in motion to do.

Comment

Your body is just as important as your mind. Balance.

Comment

Working...
                        X