Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Physical Training Suggestions for High Altitude/Afghanistan??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Training Suggestions for High Altitude/Afghanistan??

All,

I'm looking for some PT suggestions (collective and individual) for our upcoming deployment.

By all reports, our FOB will be at about 7,000 feet, with convoys/helo trips to higher elevations where we will be dismounted under full load for the bulk of the day.

I think the obvious answer is cardio - any AStan vets have any recomendations as to what worked for them?

Diet?

Thanks in advance,
    SSG F

Re: Physical Training Suggestions for High Altitude/Afghanistan??

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu
    All,

I'm looking for some PT suggestions (collective and individual) for our upcoming deployment.

By all reports, our FOB will be at about 7,000 feet, with convoys/helo trips to higher elevations where we will be dismounted under full load for the bulk of the day.

I think the obvious answer is cardio - any AStan vets have any recomendations as to what worked for them?

Diet?

Thanks in advance,
    SSG F
    Whats the elevation of where you train now? My company drills and trains at 7,000+. I live at sea level. So its really hard to train for high elevation when you don't live at high elevation. According to FM 21-20, 12-4 it takes the average soldier 30 days to acclimate to high altitude, and only 14 days to de-acclimize. Really ***** because unless you live at 7000+feet you will never be acclimized for it.

You did kind of answer your own question, cardio, cardio and cardio! The better your cardio is at sea level the better it will be at 7000+feet. I found that for me I seem to be about 2 minutes slower at 7000+ feet on my 2 miles run than at sea level. I run a consistent 12.30 at sea level but closer to 14.30 at 7000 feet. This has been consistent over 4 APFT's at sea level and 4 at 7000.

Something I found interesting though was that my speed was affected far more than my over all endurance. I was still able to run 20+miles at high elevation just as I am at sea level, its just not as fast. So I would say work on your speed and over all endurance. Interval training is a usefull tool as well as wind sprints.

Comment

To add to SGT Juggernaut's reply...

While I am not an Afghanistan veteran, I've rucked a marathon at ~5,000 ft. and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

We trained for about four weeks at sea level with temperatures in the 80's and high humidity and I didn't feel much of a difference given that it was cool and dry at altitude. Adrenaline helps, too. So, if your unit and MOB station are in hot and humid locations, it's a decent start.

Interval cardio training would be more beneficial than long, lazy runs to improve lung and aerobic capacity. Generally, a high level of fitness is important, which appears to sometimes be a struggle in the ARNG.

[*** I am not a doctor or a licensed professional, just someone who likes to try a lot of legal supplements to see what works and how it affects my body. ***] Since you asked about diet, I'll stretch to comment on some supplements that I felt helped: L-Arginine (precursor to nitric oxide which increases blood flow - to all areas , reduces healing time and quickens tissue repair) and Beta Alanine (increases the concentration of carnosine in muscles, decrease fatigue and increase total muscular work done).

And... proper hydration, of course.
      Last edited by chd; July 29th, 2010, 01:15 AM.

Comment

I appreciate the response, gents!

SGT J, I'm roughly @ 500 ft. ASL here in the Atlanta area, and the Province I'm targeted for is about 6,000.

I'm going to work on rucking and interval training, as our mission (ADT) shouldn't involve a lot of distance - just a lot of static security.

As for the supplements, at my age (47), simply changing the creamer in my coffee has drastic and often devastating effects on my digestive tract! For those young bucks laughing, you'll get there!

Thanks for the info!

SSG F

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu
          I appreciate the response, gents!

SGT J, I'm roughly @ 500 ft. ASL here in the Atlanta area, and the Province I'm targeted for is about 6,000.

I'm going to work on rucking and interval training, as our mission (ADT) shouldn't involve a lot of distance - just a lot of static security.

As for the supplements, at my age (47), simply changing the creamer in my coffee has drastic and often devastating effects on my digestive tract! For those young bucks laughing, you'll get there!

Thanks for the info!

SSG F
          Right there with you on the digestive tract issues, and I'm only 25. Thanks alot U.S. Army! 7 years of eating MRE's has ****** up my gut! Seriously though i wonder if anyone has looked into the long term effects of eating MRE's.

Good luck with the training and stay safe out there.

Comment

Working...
          X