Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness help

Hello everyone,
    I'm enlisting in the National Guard in two months when my 17th birthday comes around.I want to improve my fitness to be able to score good on the APFT.As of now I can do about 25-30 proper form push ups and I'd say about 50 sit ups.I haven't timed myself on the 2 mile as I haven't ran in weeks anyone got advice on how to improve my push ups sit-ups and running? I think I'll time myself on the run today.

EDIT: I went running and got 17:31.Not very good and living with 3 cats and not having run for a few weeks doesn't help I will improve though!
    Last edited by jc091393; July 8th, 2010, 06:51 PM.

Re: Fitness help

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Kepp doing SU PU and running and push to do better each time and you'll be fine.

Comment

Look on the brightside, your run is faster than mine at 22 minute two mile and I've been training for 3 months. I only have to run mine in 19 min tho (female).

Comment

Thanks for the support! I hope to have a perfect APFT score in a few months! any more advice or support is always welcome!

Comment

Search these forums and Google "how to improve APFT" and you'll get hundreds of articles and suggestions. Most importantly, just work hard and push yourself. And stop using your three cats as an excuse!

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I went running again today and I got 16:11! Really happy right now lol next time I run I'm gonna try and get a passing time! As always comments and advice are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393
              Hello everyone,
              I'm enlisting in the National Guard in two months when my 17th birthday comes around.I want to improve my fitness to be able to score good on the APFT.As of now I can do about 25-30 proper form push ups and I'd say about 50 sit ups.I haven't timed myself on the 2 mile as I haven't ran in weeks anyone got advice on how to improve my push ups sit-ups and running? I think I'll time myself on the run today.

EDIT: I went running and got 17:31.Not very good and living with 3 cats and not having run for a few weeks doesn't help I will improve though!
              My recommendations:
              1. Run at least three miles, not two. That way, you build more endurance, and if you happen to have a bad cat day, you can still pass your APFT.
              2. Something is better than nothing. If you can't run three miles, then walk-run.
              3. Do pushups throughout the day. Every hour, knock out ten. Do them right! Again, something is better than nothing, so doing five correctly is better than ten sloppy ones. Don't cheat!
              4. While watching TV, do PU/SU during commercials.

Comment

Also I would like to add in Diamond Push ups

Comment

Thanks everyone! I did all the parts of the APFT today to see where I stand and these were my results:

Push-ups-35

Sit-ups-40

2-mile run-15:49

I've been working on my run and it's finally a passing score but I still need to improve.Also I really need to improve my sit-ups and push-ups.I think to improve push-ups I'm gonna try out the National Guard SSGT Weichert push-up improvement plan which includes diamond and wide grip push-ups.Any suggestions on how to improve on sit-ups?

Comment

combine flutter kicks, crunches, and sit ups. any ab exercise you can think of.

Comment

Will do.Thanks for the replies everyone it's really motivating!

Comment

The best way to imporve SU/PU is to do more SU/PU, and I mean A LOT. As for the run, go to a track and try 30:60s:

Run as fast as you can for 60 seconds.
                        Walk for 30 seconds.
                        Repeat.
                        Repeat.
                        Repeat.
                        Repeat.

Increase your sets everytime you do it and your run time will improve.

Comment

Well I went running 2 miles again today and was hoping to improve my time but I ended up getting 16:14

Comment

Stay calm grasshopper, you have only been doing this 2 weeks and your under 1600. You will be fine. Passing for you age is around 15:52ish. Remember when you take a PT test you run with a lot of other people. Your natural instinct to pass or keep up kicks in without you knowing it, and you get good times. Its not like running by yourself, its a subconscience thing. Keep working out and your times will start dropping, hard work pays off, and it takes time. Good Luck

Comment

Thanks for the reply Phantom! I went running again today(after an unmotivated 3 day break) and got 16:11! i think I'm gonna do sprints next time I go running instead of a 2 mile run and see how that works!

Comment

Working...
                              X