X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PU/SU Help

Alright guys, I have been talking about this and wanted to join since I was very young. Its been my life dream. I am finally dedicated and I insist I will succeed no matter the pain, time or sweat.

Background :

22 Year Old Male, 6'4 (74") 235lbs (Overweight I Know) No Smoking, I Do Dip Though. I deliver furniture for a living.

I am a strong guy, not a body builder or any of that but handling reclining sofas over my head on a daily basis. I sweat so much its ridiculous but...

I eat out, lots of soda and not much time. I sweat alot but eat so bad it doesnt matter, Im not burning the calories I am eating so its pointless I know.

My Plans :

Water/Juice ONLY.
    No more eating out
    ****, chicken, salad, veggies, yogurt, fruit, etc.

My Problem :

I figured with my line of work I should be able to do this no problem HAHAHAHA. Yeah right man I am so ashamed to admit but its reality and I need assistance, ideas and routines. Words of encouragement would help too.

PU : 3-4 Proper (Feel Like My Arms Cant Support My Weight)
    SU : 3 At Best (Struggling To Pull Up
    Run : I will let you know tomorrow LOL

Ok enough laughing. I have to make this, I have to succeed, no exceptions or excuses. I am dead set on this. I am going to try my absolute hardest.

PUSHUPS : Since I can only do 3-4 I have started doing a incline. Doing as many as I can and trying to improve. Once I can do 50 I am going to lower the incline until I reach a standard pushup where I need to be. I have set my phone alarm and I am doing as many inclines as I can every 30 minutes. (SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, IPUT PLEASE)

SITUPS : Not real sure how to improve, I need so help. (HHEEELLLPPP)

RUNNING : I WILL REPORT TOMORROW

So here it is laying all my embarrasing stats out here hoping to find some help. I feel like such a lard ***.

Re: PU/SU Help

Originally posted by Dew2008
    So here it is laying all my embarrasing stats out here hoping to find some help. I feel like such a lard ***.

well first step is abmitting it, now work on it! stay motivated is the hardest part of a diet / routine! GL

Comment

PU: www.onehundredpushups.com - If you can do 3-4, you can start the program. After you finish the program (6 weeks) on the first level, move to the next.

SU: www.twohundredsitups.com - Same as the push up program but with sit ups.

Running: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml - Go from no running to 3 miles in 9 weeks. Easy program that works.

Comment

Look at sherfields stuff and try that, or just do your 3 or 4 push ups, catch your breath for a few minutes and do it again. Repeat until you cant do a single one. Then go to your knees and do push ups, repeat as above. Then wait 25 minutes and start all over.

Do lots of situps.

As far as running. Go for a nice long...slow... jog. Make it at least 1.5 miles as sloooow as you need to get it done. As long as you're not walking or powerwalking, but actually in somewhat of a jog, you're doing it right.

Comment

I am just hoping progress comes with the work. I am extremely sore. I guess no pain no gain. Being sore and delivering furniture does not go well together either lol.

Comment

When running, I recommend running for time and not for distance. Set a time goal whether it be 5:00 or 25:00 and and just move your legs for that amount of time. It doesn't have to be fast. The important thing is to reach your goal of 'X' minutes. As you meet each goal, increase it ( on your next run). A 10:00 mile pace is pretty slow. Soon you will get to the point where you can run for 20:00 without stopping and you realize you just ran 2 miles. "Airborne Shuffle" and get it done. Speed and distance will come. But definitely warm-up / stretch first. You can easily injure yourself otherwise. A shin splint will put you back several weeks easy.

As for PU / SU, what I do is drink a ton of water throughout the day and every time I have to go to the bathroom, I knock out 50 reps. 4-5 trips to the bathroom equates to approx. 200 reps a day and takes no time at all. Just remember to wash your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave-O
              When running, I recommend running for time and not for distance. Set a time goal whether it be 5:00 or 25:00 and and just move your legs for that amount of time. It doesn't have to be fast. The important thing is to reach your goal of 'X' minutes. As you meet each goal, increase it ( on your next run). A 10:00 mile pace is pretty slow. Soon you will get to the point where you can run for 20:00 without stopping and you realize you just ran 2 miles. "Airborne Shuffle" and get it done. Speed and distance will come. But definitely warm-up / stretch first. You can easily injure yourself otherwise. A shin splint will put you back several weeks easy.

As for PU / SU, what I do is drink a ton of water throughout the day and every time I have to go to the bathroom, I knock out 50 reps. 4-5 trips to the bathroom equates to approx. 200 reps a day and takes no time at all. Just remember to wash your hands.
              Beautiful. Dave-O just put my whole philosophy on starting running in a much more logical way. Do that. Also that idea on hydrating and pushing is brilliant.

Comment

Dont sweat it, just because your a big guy, you have retard strength, which you can work with. Now its just learning to make it work for you. If you can knock out 5 PU, great!! Do five every commercial for a few Tv shows. Dont watch SportCenter, there is a comercial every 2min. Ha Ha.. Do the same with the SU. You will notice that the SU will slightly get better with running since you will be using some of the core muscle groups. Another thing on the PU, get you some of those Perfect Pushup discs or PushUp bars. You wont be able to knock out as many with them, but when you try to do them on the floor without them in a few weeks you will see a big improvement. Also as mentioned, get rid of that carbonated drink mess, its just not good for you. Drink water, put those flavor packets in them to give some flavor and break the taste up. The little things to help make it easier to deal with. Next is Rest, try to get 8hr a night if you can. Your a big guy, its hard to get started and keep it up, but it can be done, I know this first hand. Good Luck. If ever need anything just ask, and keep us posted. Its alot easier when you have a support group behind you. Oh, and not every day you will see good results, just keep at it, and the hard work will pay off.

Comment

The number one problem people have with situps is form. Even for people that have been in for years, they think they are doing it right and they are not. Only the bottom of your shoulder blades need to touch the ground. On your first rep, put your chin to your chest, and DO NOT MOVE YOUR HEAD ANYMORE. Use the motion of dropping to the ground to help you bounce back up, keeping that chin tight to your chest.

Comment

Also try to think of the different muscle groups that you need to improve to do push ups and sit ups. For push ups do some exercises that work your shoulders, triceps, lats, and chest. Although sit ups work some of your core muscles, they work your hip flexors a lot as well. Billy Blanks' signature Tae Bo move works those hip flexors to death if you do them properly. Other than that and the other advice you've gotten, I would say don't overdo it. Between your work and working out, your muscles are going to need rest along w/ proper nutrition. Good luck!

Comment

For push ups...make sure you are looking straight ahead, not at the ground. That will help you keep proper form and makes it so much easier.

Push ups aren't my stong point, so at work (I do 12 hour shifts), I'm starting to do 10 every hour. By the end of my shift it will have been 120 total. Then I will slowly start working my way up, for example next week or the week after I will bump it up to 20 every hour, and so on.

You can't go from not having done them to suddenly crank out 100. Same with running...if you've never ran before, you won't start out on day 1 being able to run 5 miles. You have to work your way up to everything. It gets frustrating because it's a slow process, but you'll be doing it the right way. Keep at it.

Take my word for it - you can do anything you put your mind to if you want it bad enough. I was darn near 300 pounds and I'm down to 230...still a ways to go, but it's a heck of a lot better than where I was at 6 months - a year ago. I've completely changed my life around with health and fitness and it's only getting better. Once I lose another 20 pounds or so, I should be able to head for MEPS and pass on the body fat percentage.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X