X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running help

I need some help, or maybe just motivation, with my running. I'm preparing to go to BCT in Sept. and have been working on my running. I was doing the Couch to 5k program and made it to week 6 a few weeks ago, which is 2.25 miles. Ever since then though it seems like I can barely make a mile without stopping. I was making great progress but it's like I've hit a brick wall. I've tried going back to like week 5 but can't make the 2 mile run at the end of the week. My 1 mile time is coming down, 9+ min to 7:30. I just can't seem to add any distance to my runs anymore.

Any advice or help?

Re: Running help

It's all mental. Your body is capable of running for many, many hours. I've found that if I'm worried about distance too much sometimes I psyche myself out. I usually run my furthest when I have no idea how far I've ran. Then I go home and use google maps pedometer and figure out exactly how far I've ran.

Comment

If your mile is improving and two mile is regressing; You are trying to run too fast. Also, six weeks to get to 2.5 miles is an incredibly slow program.

Comment

I realize it's a slow program, before I started I hadn't ran any in several years, so I wanted to ease in to it again.

I know it's got to be mental. Maybe I do worry about distance too much. When I first started I was running in my neighborhood and didn't know my distance until I was finished. Now I run on a track so I can track my distance as I run.

Comment

Take the day off, I had this problem last month, I was running about 25mi a week. Then I took a PT test, guess what, I almost failed the run. I ran 2 14min 2mi, twice that week just to see where I stood. Come test day, I couldnt make myself run fast enough. I was burnt out. So I took Thurs and Friday off, rode a light bike ride on Sat, eliptical on Sunday and hiking today. I feel great, I couldnt tell how sore and slow I was making myself, because I wasnt listening to my body. I will go back to running tomorrow, i bet I will be better. Just listen to your body, if you need a break take a break, just make sure your body needs it and your not making excuses. Good Luck...

Comment

Well I did better today. I ran in my neighborhood instead of a track. Even though my neighborhood has several hills, I felt better. I think it may have something to do with not worrying about distance and just running for a set amount of time. On the track, I constantly know my distance, not so on the street. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by sherfield2002
              Well I did better today. I ran in my neighborhood instead of a track. Even though my neighborhood has several hills, I felt better. I think it may have something to do with not worrying about distance and just running for a set amount of time. On the track, I constantly know my distance, not so on the street. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

Thanks for the help.

When I was stationed in Korea I took a PT test and did "OK" on the run. Then I bought a regular bike and rode it everywhere I had to go for the next six months. The only running I did was during company and platoon runs that were mandatory. After the six months when I retook the PT test I did the best I had ever done. It dropped my time by over 2 minutes.

I know people on here swear that you have to run to improve your run time but I'm not buying it. Biking will help improve your stamina as well and that is what it is all about.

Comment

As someone who hates running and has had all kinda problems with it physically, I found barriers really hard to overcome.

My advice is to realize that 90% of it is mental. If youre just starting out and dont have to worry about time right away, I would suggest just jogging without regard to time. Map out a run of 2 or 3 miles and just jog. Doesnt matter how slow, just do it so you can see for yourself it can be done.

Make sure you are drinking and eating right too. The difference is absolutely amazing and I can tell when I'm off by how I feel when I run.

Mentally, just tell yourself it doesnt matter how slow, just finish the track. I have a GPS running/workout watch and I find that I suffer the most mentally when Im constantly looking down to see my pace, how far I've gone, etc.

Skip that, and just run/job. Get over the mental hurdle by showing yourself it can be done, even if just barely... just barely at a jogging pace, just dont stop.

Do that a few times, then consider a timed shorter run every now and then. If you're like me, you'll see that in a formation run with your fellow soldiers you feel like you can run 50 miles and just keep going as long as your soldiers are there with you and cadence is sung, but as soon as you're alone, the mental war rages on.

Conquer that and you're 50% of the way there.

Comment

Originally posted by sherfield2002
                  I need some help, or maybe just motivation, with my running. I'm preparing to go to BCT in Sept. and have been working on my running. I was doing the Couch to 5k program and made it to week 6 a few weeks ago, which is 2.25 miles. Ever since then though it seems like I can barely make a mile without stopping. I was making great progress but it's like I've hit a brick wall. I've tried going back to like week 5 but can't make the 2 mile run at the end of the week. My 1 mile time is coming down, 9+ min to 7:30. I just can't seem to add any distance to my runs anymore.

Any advice or help?
                  I would also cut out the weights your lifting because that would just slwo you down.

Comment

Working...
                  X