X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping before enlistment

My weight goal is finally within reach and I want to start gearing my exercise routine towards BCT preparation (meaning no weights or machines) and I wanted to know the types of exercises DI's make you do, aside from pu's. I don't want to be able to curl 10000 pounds if its not going to give me a benefit in basic. I want to specifically train for the exercises that I will be doing so that I have more time to focus on the mental tasks I will be challenged with. Also, aside from the types of exercises how many do they make you do? 50? 300? Should I train for endurance? How many pu's should I be able to do at any given moment? I know the IET physical exam requires something like only 17 pu's but I KNOW you do way more than that during smoking sessions. Thanks in advance

- Jon

Re: Prepping before enlistment

Have you gone to meps? Careful with the weight loss if not, you may show protien in your urine, all the people who lost more than 10 pounds did the first time. Just don't exercise the night before and eat breakfast.

Flutter kicks is something I hear.

Comment

You honestly really can't prepare for the smokings. It's going to suck, regardless. The DS's are going to smoke you to muscle failure, and then smoke you even longer. If you can perform all the exercises your DS demands of you in a smoke session, your DS isn't done yet.

What you should do is take a look at the APFT standards. Figure up what you need to do to pass the PT test for your age / *** and work on that.

Practice perfect form for your pushups (your ds's aren't going to be lenient in grading and you aren't going to want to waste energy on pushups that don't count).

If you can get to the point where you can pass an APFT before you ship your life will be much easier. Don't bother worrying about learning every type of exercise, it's not going to do you much good.

Comment

Originally posted by jakatan
        You honestly really can't prepare for the smokings. It's going to suck, regardless. The DS's are going to smoke you to muscle failure, and then smoke you even longer. If you can perform all the exercises your DS demands of you in a smoke session, your DS isn't done yet.

What you should do is take a look at the APFT standards. Figure up what you need to do to pass the PT test for your age / *** and work on that.

Practice perfect form for your pushups (your ds's aren't going to be lenient in grading and you aren't going to want to waste energy on pushups that don't count).

If you can get to the point where you can pass an APFT before you ship your life will be much easier. Don't bother worrying about learning every type of exercise, it's not going to do you much good.

Very good advice here. DS's (and any good NCO for that matter) will know how to make you hurt. There are plenty of creative little exercises that are torture when applied liberally I'm sure everyone has that one exercise that they'll always remember as particularly "evil" and will use it in their own corrective training.

Focus on the PT test... Your goal should be to max it... and I'd recommend rucking.. but do so safely so you don't injure yourself before shipping.

Comment

Jon, I have to disagree with Jaka at this point. Smokings do suck hard, but they are geared twords the group (unless you are able to finagle your own.... then you are just screwed). However, if you are in good physical conditon, they are no where near as bad as people say. If you want to prep for BCT, you need to work on your PU, SU and run-time. Look at the APFT standards for your age and go from there...

Now, as for exercises, google CD1, CD2 and MMA's. Those are the cores we did daily. Mainly, they involve PU, SU. pullups, sprints and other activities. They are designed to build endurance rather than muscle. However, if you can go in looking like Arnold, your life will be much easier...

If you want to focus on muscle groups that make the APFT easier, look at building your abs/hip flexors for SU, your bi/triceps/shoulder/chest for PU and run like a mad demon. Going in scoring around a 220 will make PT easy and let you focus on the actual training.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701
            Jon, I have to disagree with Jaka at this point. Smokings do suck hard, but they are geared twords the group (unless you are able to finagle your own.... then you are just screwed). However, if you are in good physical conditon, they are no where near as bad as people say. If you want to prep for BCT, you need to work on your PU, SU and run-time. Look at the APFT standards for your age and go from there...

Now, as for exercises, google CD1, CD2 and MMA's. Those are the cores we did daily. Mainly, they involve PU, SU. pullups, sprints and other activities. They are designed to build endurance rather than muscle. However, if you can go in looking like Arnold, your life will be much easier...

If you want to focus on muscle groups that make the APFT easier, look at building your abs/hip flexors for SU, your bi/triceps/shoulder/chest for PU and run like a mad demon. Going in scoring around a 220 will make PT easy and let you focus on the actual training.

And here is the difference between Relaxing Jackson and Ft Benning's Summer Camp for Boys (aka Infantry OSUT). I mean no disrespect, but you apparently did not go through the same training I, and my fellow Infantrymen, did.

To say that smokings "do not suck" means you have never been properly smoked before. I'm in fairly good shape (270 apft) and the smokings sucked tremendously.

If you're a non combat MOS Jon, I suppose you won't have any trouble with the smokings. If you are a combat MOS, don't be afraid of getting smoked, just put happy thoughts in your head.

Comment

And here is the difference between Relaxing Jackson and Ft Benning's Summer Camp for Boys (aka Infantry OSUT).

And cue the inevitable junior enlisted squabble over whose Basic was harder

Comment

And here is the difference between Relaxing Jackson and Ft Benning's Summer Camp for Boys (aka Infantry OSUT). I mean no disrespect, but you apparently did not go through the same training I, and my fellow Infantrymen, did.

To say that smokings "do not suck" means you have never been properly smoked before. I'm in fairly good shape (270 apft) and the smokings sucked tremendously.

If you're a non combat MOS Jon, I suppose you won't have any trouble with the smokings. If you are a combat MOS, don't be afraid of getting smoked, just put happy thoughts in your head.
                Jak, careful as to what you speak. I highly doubt anyone on here, save for some of the older, crustier soldiers (or those who are in some truly high speed units), have had a true smoking. Not to say that it doesn't happen, it does. But BCT or NG units are not notorious for it. That 45 mins of pain you may have endured is not a real smoking. When you spend 6 hours with an NCO and you crawl away urinating blood, you are smoked.. and I have been there.

Back on topic, prep with the advice given to you above and you should be good to go. No matter where you BCt at, if you can go in with a mid 200's APFT score and a big heart, you will do fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mryan525
                  And cue the inevitable junior enlisted squabble over whose Basic was harder

Nah. I've been to both...

Comment

The pocket PT Guide. It has all the Conditioning Drills inside. Really, it boils FM 21-20 down to the basics. Has a lot of good exercises in it.

http://troy.troy.edu/armyrotc/RPI_23...t_PT_Guide.pdf

Comment

Apologies for coming off as a stupid Private (I'm only half-stupid, I swear). I meant the Relaxing Jackson and whatnot all in good fun.

JMC: I really hope that, if you earn your Commission, you don't start spouting off to your platoon about your "experience" as you really don't have any yet. If I'm wrong about this, I apologize, but from what I've read of your posts you've yet to become either MOSQ'd or Branch qualified.

/End rant of dumb Private.

Comment

Apologies for coming off as a stupid Private (I'm only half-stupid, I swear). I meant the Relaxing Jackson and whatnot all in good fun.

JMC: I really hope that, if you earn your Commission, you don't start spouting off to your platoon about your "experience" as you really don't have any yet. If I'm wrong about this, I apologize, but from what I've read of your posts you've yet to become either MOSQ'd or Branch qualified.

/End rant of dumb Private.
                        Meh, I wasn't trying to spout off anything, simply saying that this is a forum. You never really know who you are talking to. Relaxing Jackson, Lost in the Woods, whatever. We're all Army.

Again, though, you miss the point. Solid advice was given to the one who needed it. I'm sure he will go off to BCT and be a PT stud. If you want to discuss my experience and compare notes, feel free to PM me. Because what you said just now came off as condescending (sp?)... and I think you didn't read my post back far enough.

No harm done. BTW, Privates aren't stupid... just new.

Comment

Originally posted by JonTheBaptist
                          My weight goal is finally within reach and I want to start gearing my exercise routine towards BCT preparation (meaning no weights or machines) and I wanted to know the types of exercises DI's make you do, aside from pu's. I don't want to be able to curl 10000 pounds if its not going to give me a benefit in basic. I want to specifically train for the exercises that I will be doing so that I have more time to focus on the mental tasks I will be challenged with. Also, aside from the types of exercises how many do they make you do? 50? 300? Should I train for endurance? How many pu's should I be able to do at any given moment? I know the IET physical exam requires something like only 17 pu's but I KNOW you do way more than that during smoking sessions. Thanks in advance

- Jon
                          You really can't put a number on it. You'll almost always be pushed to muscle failure. I mean, one day our DS left us in the rain doing 4-count flutter kicks, drove to the PX for a soda and came back. When he got out of his truck, we were yelling "1-2-3, 877, 1-2-3, 878, 1-2-3, 879, etc." but no one really did it the whole time.

If you have time to prepare, ship with a passing PT test. The better off you are at the start, the easier it'll be. I was in very good shape when I left and the only thing that I wish I had done more was strengthening my lower back. That was the only thing that was sore mostly from arching my lower back to keep my rifle over my head for an eternity at a time.

So... do a lot of push up, sit ups, and flutter kicks... after that, we did a lot of military presses with our rifles. As aforementioned, look up CD1 and CD2 which you'll do every other day.

Comment

If you are a combat MOS, don't be afraid of getting smoked, just put happy thoughts in your head.

YUP , this is no joke for the smoking. and I don't mean excersing (aka SMOKING'S DON'T SUCK)

Comment

Working...
                            X