X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice Rucking before BCT?

Trying to get ready for basic as I leave May 24th. Gave myself a PT test earlier this week, did 90 pushups, 80 situps, and a 13"50 2 miler. Now I am going to keep working on getting better at the APFT, but I am curious as to whether or not I should be preparing myself for some rucking. I have the NG backpack that I received after enlisting and was wondering if it would be a good idea to throw some weight in there and get used to doing a few miles w/it on. Thoughts/suggestions?

Re: Practice Rucking before BCT?

Not necessary, if your PT score is accurate then you are already ahead of the game. Although it is good exercise to stay in shape.

Mike2K - WO1

Comment

I'm personally not sure why people do this...for basic. You get your practice there, by starting off with a few miles and then going up.

You'll be doing lots of walking/running everywhere.

Comment

You really don't need to practice for the rucking that you'll do in BCT. You'll start with 5k and work your way up. If you felt like you needed to do something that would help, work on strengthening your lower back and core which will help across the board.

Comment

I do some rucking just trying to harden my feet up and avoid major blisters. The boots issued by rotc rub and I do blister with anything over 3 miles hence why I do it. Maybe a better fitted boot when I get to basic.

Comment

You will be disappointed. They will likely be the same boots.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
              I do some rucking just trying to harden my feet up and avoid major blisters. The boots issued by rotc rub and I do blister with anything over 3 miles hence why I do it. Maybe a better fitted boot when I get to basic.
              Liners and thick wool socks (Thorlo is a great brand). A little foot powder. Maybe some spray antiperspirant on your feet if you want to get cute. That's all you need.

Comment

Working...
              X