X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinny on nutrition

Ok experts I need help. Turned 40 and the weight isn't coming off. Had luck with low/no carb diet but couldn't stay on it and workouts started to drop off. What the heck am I suppose to eat?

Re: Skinny on nutrition

800 calories a day, you will lose weight and can increase gradually afterwards. Some of it will come back, but not all if you are careful. Slow metabolisms. Talk to a nutritionist to get on a plan and your doctor. He can check for thyroid problems.

Comment

Bad Idea. Why would he want to slow his metabolism more???

Talk to people coming out of Ranger school. They are eating 2200 calories a day. As soon as they get back, most put on extra weight because their body was in "starvation mode" and is storing everything. NOT what he wants to be doing.

Best thing to do is work out (shoot for everyday) and eat healthy. I doesn't take much to eat healthier stuff. I'm 40 and in the same boat. Not much weight to lose, but maybe 5-10 and I don't notice myself losing any, but I know it will come.

Don't do anything drastic that shocks your system.

By the way, i'm not an expert, but I know what's sensible.

Comment

I assumed he was already dieting and just not losing weight. Low calorie is really drastic but not much less than 1000 to 1500 most dieters strive for,

Comment

800 Calories would work, then after you get out of the Hospital for malnutrition, you get to start all over. I am a big supporter of eating the right foods, and burning more than you take in. As always, drink a crapload of water.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
            I assumed he was already dieting and just not losing weight. Low calorie is really drastic but not much less than 1000 to 1500 most dieters strive for,
            Maybe the annorexics my wife treats...

Like I said, "most" people can lose weight by just cutting sodas out of their daily intake. My buddy has lost 15lbs so far by not drinking the sodas like he did.

ANY Dr will tell you it is unhealthy to starve yourself.
            Remember 3500 calories = 1lb
            Shave off maybe 750+ or so a day, it will come off.

Comment

I used to eat around 1500 before I started trying to gain weight. Just on the go all the time. Stayed 108 pounds and wasn't malnourished. Some docs will put people on monitored 800 cals, but only with doc supervision should you do that and most people couldn't stand it anyway. They'd cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
                I used to eat around 1500 before I started trying to gain weight. Just on the go all the time. Stayed 108 pounds and wasn't malnourished. Some docs will put people on monitored 800 cals, but only with doc supervision should you do that and most people couldn't stand it anyway. They'd cheat.
                You are 20, he is 40. You are a rail, he is not.

Show me 1 Dr that would do that. My wife is one of the most knowlegable people when it comes to eating disorders. She and her team of nutritionist fly around the country speaking on behalf of treatment centers on this.

Please don't give this man bad advice.

Comment

First, I gave up soda. I wasn't a regular soda drinker, but once I swore it off I noticed how much I was taking in. You go out for lunch, your choices all seem to have "high fructose corn syrup" in it. Switched to water and unsweetened tea, and increased the water. Took some getting used to, but 4 pounds came off immediately.

Reduced milk intake. Still drink it, but smaller glass and not as often. Cereal? Try rice milk or soy milk. I prefer the vanilla, the plain is is just wretched. But milk is high-calorie, and if you look at what nature intended milk to be for...growing infants needing calories...I figure this is a good life stage to cut it back. And doing so reduces the cholesteral as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Old guy
                    What the heck am I suppose to eat?
                    Eggs and oatmeal for breakfast. Lean proteins (i.e., chicken, turkey, fish) and vegetables for lunch/dinner/snack. Only drink water. Allow yourself a couple "cheat meals" per week. Stay active. Lift weights in addition to cardio. If you can't lose weight doing this for a few weeks, I don't know...

Comment

Originally posted by KMANinTX
                      Show me 1 Dr that would do that. My wife is one of the most knowlegable people when it comes to eating disorders. She and her team of nutritionist fly around the country speaking on behalf of treatment centers on this.

Please don't give this man bad advice.
                      That is what they told my aunt to do, she couldn't, got her stomach stapled, then ate milkshakes until the stapling was proven useless.

Comment

It still throws me, that people think there is a magic pill or surgery, that will make you skinny. Your Aunt is just another example. I personally know a guy that had a surgery and now is bigger than he was. Even the guy on Biggest Loser last season, said his weight loss surgery didnt work. You have to work at it, hard work pays off.

Not to start a discussion on religion, but God did a great job when he created Man. Look at the Brain or just the circulatory system is amazing. The body can help heal itself, the ability to think, motion, reproduction etc.. Why do people think that surgery for weight loss trumps that. Listen to your body and treat it right, and educate yourself, and then you will start seeing results.

Comment

You should try an all Buffalo Wings a Beer diet, I higly recommend it!

Mike2K - WO1

Comment

Hey, maybe that will help me gain those ten pounds so I can go to basic. I was def the only one at meps that day they told to gain weight.

Comment

800 cal a day is a bad idea. I agree with KMan.

It all comes down to calories burned has to be greater than calories taken in. everyone's needs are different, there's no magic number. If you really wanted to get scientific about it, you could visit a sports medicine clinic and get an RME test done - resting metabolic rate. IOW how many calories do you burn just by staying alive. Let's say that number is 2000 - if you take in more than 2000 calories a day without doing any exercise, you will gain weight. If you exercise an hour a day, you may burn an additional 600 +/- calories.

Aerobic exercise is your friend. I would guess that a HR of 120-130 would put you in an aerobic range, but again, those numbers are highly individualized, based on the person and based on the activity.

Try to eat 5-6 smaller, healthy meals a day - this helps to keep your metabolism on a more even level rather than going up and down through the day with 2-3 large meals.

Shoot for a caloric deficit of about 500 cals/day to start, and see where that gets you. There's plenty of nutritional calculators online to give you an idea of how many calories you actually take in. It definitely helps to keep a log. You don't want to lose more than about 2 lbs/week though, or you risk losing muscle instead of fat.

Comment

Working...
                              X