X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drink or eat after a good workout?

my body is screaming for something good and I've forgotten. After an hour long workout, is it chocolate milk I'm looking for? Or protein, as in peanut butter, or what?

thanks

Re: drink or eat after a good workout?

Your body is looking for protein. However you can have a chocolate flavored protein shake

A note of thumb on protein - if it is a bird or swims it is lean protein that will help you stay small and rip. If it was a land animal it will help bulk your muscles For protein shakes it is all in the type of protein shakes/bar/etc that you have

Comment

when I was overseas after our work out @ nights, I'd microwave peanut butter and put over my icecream. I was a ripped little dude but I wouldn't suggest it. My metab was g-r-e-a-t!

Comment

It depends on your goals. Are you trying to gain muscle? Typically you want around 30 grams of protein, a decent amount of calories and carbs, and BCAA's. I usually have about 16oz of chocolate milk with 2-3 scoops of a product called CytoGainer by Cytosport. Works great for me.

Comment

#1 goal would be to lose weight. then build muscle. Sounds like I just need to buy a gallon of choc milk, put in refrig. at work and eat some chicken on the drive from boot camp to work.

Comment

When you eat your chicken, check the label (or if it does not have a label check the internet) for how many grams of protein are in each peice. Your body will only process about half of what you take in, so you should shoot to eat about 60 grams of protein in the hour after a workout (that way your body takes in 30 grams which is the most that it can absorb and process at any given moment). Try eating something protein based before your workout as well, that will also help maximinze your workout

Comment

I advice to use a Heart Rate monitor and find out your target rates. If you burn more sugar than fat, that's why you may feel some starvation after your work out. That low blood sugar level makes you feel like you want to eat a whale or may make your body shake, or dizzy.

Comment

Chocolate milk is considered a great post-workout beverage because it contains an "ideal" (according to many fitness and bodybuilding magazines) ratio of fat : carbohydrates : protein.

After a workout, you need to replenish your body's glycogen levels and assist muscle recovery with protein. Start with a protein shake. To replace your glycogen levels, eat something with a high GI index of 70+: http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/ This will quickly replenish what you've lost.

Doing this should leave you feeling much better after your workouts.
                Last edited by chd; May 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I like a good Cookies N Cream Protein shake after a long workout.

Comment

Originally posted by chd
                    Chocolate milk is considered a great post-workout beverage because it contains an "ideal" (according to many fitness and bodybuilding magazines) ratio of fat : carbohydrates : protein.

After a workout, you need to replenish your body's glycogen levels and assist muscle recovery with protein. Start with a protein shake. To replace your glycogen levels, eat something with a high GI index of 70+: http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/ This will quickly replenish what you've lost.

Doing this should leave you feeling much better after your workouts.

That ratio is 4:1 carbs: protein. Not sure about the fat part, but yes chocolate milk is pretty much ideal for that. You body is craving carbs, not protein - unless your workout was highly anaerobic. Make sure there's enough carbs in that protein shake, otherwise supplement with a piece of fruit or something.

Comment

Working...
                    X