X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing catch up! tips?

Alright, so I just spent a week in the hospital from OVER working myself and not enough water. Following that week, I was ordered to do no exercise by my doc. Not until today. So... today I drop to do some pushups and I can hardly knock out 30 before I'm toast. I took a pause then went back and ended up doing 60 total with a few pauses.

The doc told me to expect weakness and that I had probably lost a bit of muscle. I have drill this weekend and I know I'm just going to lag this weekend, then I have more than a month off, with a PT test I MUST pass in june.

I've only been in the guard a few months and never did any PT in the USAF. Anyone have any advice on exercises I can do, on addition to push ups, that will help me get up to speed?

I'm not looking for the magic wand to boost me overnight. I'm looking for routines or things I can do to help other than just push ups every day, which I will do anyways.

Re: playing catch up! tips?

For someone just coming off an injury, Swimming is one of the best exercises to help get your stamina and some strength back up without over working again. Start swimmnig a little, and then when you feel more up to it and have regained some strength start treadmill jogging. Just make sure you take it slow at first. But as someone whose had major injury(see other post that talks about my torn acl, mcl, and jacked up my knee as well) swimming was what the doc told me was good, and it really worked. Good luck

Comment

Like the LT said swimming is great, but next best is the eliptical. Low impact and can be high intensity.

Comment

If you can get your hands on a P90X work out set...that would be gold! I know it's more intense than swimming and Elyptical machine but this thing is awesome!! If you don't know what I'm talking about go to www.p90x.com

Comment

Originally posted by Earning my Wings
          If you can get your hands on a P90X work out set...that would be gold! I know it's more intense than swimming and Elyptical machine but this thing is awesome!! If you don't know what I'm talking about go to www.p90x.com
          or you can download from limewire or something

***DISCLAIMER*** I DO NOT PROMOTE PIRATING

Comment

Swimming sounds like a good option and I have an elliptical. I'm also in the middle of a PCS for my army civilian job, so right now im sitting on the floor in my new house. I hacked up my phone/computer to get internet on my computer via my phone and bluetooth.

I'll need to find a place to swim, but my form is terrible.

As far as P90X, I did 40 days of that and just hired a personal trainer for awhile, plyometrics seriously screwed up my shins, but that was probably my shoes and not landing light enough. I hardly call P90X a light work up though!! I'll definetly get back into that that though, as soon as I get this bachelor pad setup.

On plyo days I'll do something else.

Keep the tips coming if you got them. I had my first Army PT session and PT test last drill, which I failed miserably because of "back pain" that turned out to be kidney ready to fail in a few days, thus 5 days in the hospital.

Comment

Check out this Guard Article called "Pushing for Points".

It's a 30 day program to help prepare to pass the PT test, and it has simple and advanced workouts.

Advanced Workouts are designed to get a 300 on the test.

http://military-fitness.military.com...svol2GX5_6.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
                I've only been in the guard a few months and never did any PT in the USAF.

Someone sig this please.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Bart
                  or you can download from limewire or something

***DISCLAIMER*** I DO NOT PROMOTE PIRATING
                  Would not reccomend Limewire, too many virus's.

Comment

Good Post, sending that link to a RSP Cadre buddy. Thanks...

Comment

Dead serious. I was in the USAF for a few years and we did NO PT after basic. Not once. My PT was carrying a tool box from plane to plane. They told me I had a fitness diagnostic once and I showed up in PT gear once and got made fun of. They checked my hearing and sent me on my way

Comment

Working...
                      X