X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weight Vest

Vest came in the mail today, poor little old mailman, he almost died carrying it, but it was good training for him. I took it for a 2mile jog tonight, wasnt bad, it fit really well and no bounce. I loaded it with 40lb., in the morning I think I am going to but 60lb in it and go for 5mi.

It fits good, alittle different than my buddies I tried out. His wrapped more with the weight around the torso slightly more. This one sits in the chest and down the spine, looks semi bulky but feels fairly even.

I looked at a few places for the vest. Found one I liked at Dicks SportingGoods, but refused to pay $120 for it, the salesman would only take ten bucks off (didnt even know you could haggle on the prices). So I looked on ebay. Found one the was 60lb and about half the price. The price cut pinged my "cheaply made" alarm, but for the price, and being my first one, what the heck. Doesnt look bad, and the stitching seems good, fits good (took a few minutes, to get it custom). Had no problems on the first time out with it. It even has a reflective strip on the back, which I thought was cool. Its made by Z-Fitness

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
      I looked at a few places for the vest. Found one I liked at Dicks SportingGoods, but refused to pay $120 for it, the salesman would only take ten bucks off (didnt even know you could haggle on the prices). So I looked on ebay. Found one the was 60lb and about half the price. The price cut pinged my "cheaply made" alarm, but for the price, and being my first one, what the heck. Doesnt look bad, and the stitching seems good, fits good (took a few minutes, to get it custom). Had no problems on the first time out with it. It even has a reflective strip on the back, which I thought was cool. Its made by Z-Fitness
      Got a model # or product name for the particular one you have? I'm interested in picking one up for myself, tho im supposed to be picking up an IBA at AT in May, it'd be nice to have one so I can leave my IBA in my locker, and not in my apartment where it could potentially be stolen.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Bradley
        Got a model # or product name for the particular one you have? I'm interested in picking one up for myself, tho im supposed to be picking up an IBA at AT in May, it'd be nice to have one so I can leave my IBA in my locker, and not in my apartment where it could potentially be stolen.
        Don't take this as a definite, but I think it might be this -> http://www.4fits.com/index.php?main_...s56kthmcg6e4j6 . If not then it is definitely on that site (the company also sells them on ebay useraccount zfitness for less then they sell them on their website).

Comment

See the signature block in the above post!!

I picked up a 12lb weight vest (all they had) today and have started using it for pushups and situps only.

I'm not up to running with one yet. Well at least that's what my OCS mentor said. Its asking for an injure at my fitness level.

Comment

After doing a ton of research.....probably going to pick one of these up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Comment

Not bad, start light and work up. Tell your wife not to worry, those arent hickies on your neck. Its just the vest bouncing when you first run with it a few times. Or Is It??? I like mine, have used it about 5xs now. I dont use it as much as I thought I would, but thats a different story. Good Luck, but it isnt advised, unless your body can take the extra banging and weight. Dont jump in with all the weights at first, unless your walking, and have a decent fitness level. If you cant run 3miles and only be slightly winded, make that your first priority, before jumping to a vest.

Comment

My plan is to start at 30 lbs during workout and warm up. I do 10-15 min on the elliptical to get warmed up and get the blood pumping. My workouts are almost entirely freeweights utilizing the inflatable ball for core, doing push ups with my hands on basketballs, etc,etc...core,core,core...and a bit of building.
                I want my workout routine NON-dependant on machines that may or may not be available depending on where I am.
                I won't run period with it until maybe 6+ months down the road....but not really running......rucking (why i'm getting the 60lb vest).
                My biggest plan is to just keep it on at home when I'm here. I would think that just wearing it around the house would help immensely on all the not-so-used muscles groups.

Oh, btw.....I read this vest is pretty good about not bouncing
                Last edited by KMANinTX; May 12th, 2010, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Good Plan, my post wasnt directed at you though. You have walking around sense. It was more directed at the beginner. Its not a tool to use to get you into shape, its to enhance your current fitness level.

Comment

Folks -

I'd advise caution with these things, especially the heavier ones.

I used one in the off season before I went off to play college ball. I was running about 4-5 miles daily and eventually wore out my knees. Getting both knees drained, etc, etc.

It's good stuff when "rucking" with it, but if you feel pain in your knees, my personal advice would be to not to try to push through it.

I'm 47 now and while I don't have a profile (yet) I still feel it. Just my two cents....

Respectfully Submitted -

Comment

All the weighted fitness toys you could ever want:

http://www.ironwearfitness.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Emu
                        Folks -

I'd advise caution with these things, especially the heavier ones.

I used one in the off season before I went off to play college ball. I was running about 4-5 miles daily and eventually wore out my knees. Getting both knees drained, etc, etc.

It's good stuff when "rucking" with it, but if you feel pain in your knees, my personal advice would be to not to try to push through it.

I'm 47 now and while I don't have a profile (yet) I still feel it. Just my two cents....

Respectfully Submitted -
                        I was waiting for someone to come and say something about that. I was speaking to someone the other day and he was telling me to avoid weighted vests all together because of the pressure they put on your joints,knees and elbows. Anyone else know anything about this?

Comment

I have a 40lb weighted vest. The brand is Xvest. Its a pretty well set up vest, evenly distributes the weight and doesn't bounce around because the vest fits snug against the body. I have not used it in 2 years though. I ran a half marathon with it on and after the race I never picked it up again. I have since been running with my IBA instead. Not as much weight but I can run farther, faster and its less harsh on my joints. The weighted vest is good physical training, from running to hiking or the stair master LOL it can give you a good workout.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes
                            I was waiting for someone to come and say something about that. I was speaking to someone the other day and he was telling me to avoid weighted vests all together because of the pressure they put on your joints,knees and elbows. Anyone else know anything about this?
                            I can see where if you were to add a lot of weight to it all at once it would hurt you. but, if you were to start out slow and add weight, it'd be just like you gained muscle weight(or a beer gut for that matter) .

I'm looking at maybe a 20-40 pound one, just for walking and general activities during the day. If it starts to hurt, take some weight off..

Alex

Comment

I might have to pick one up. Seems like a good way to simulate rucking with full battle rattle(I have yet to get issued any IBA). Anyone know of any that feel at least somewhat like an IBA? I mean as far as weight distribution and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew101
                                I might have to pick one up. Seems like a good way to simulate rucking with full battle rattle(I have yet to get issued any IBA). Anyone know of any that feel at least somewhat like an IBA? I mean as far as weight distribution and such.
                                http://www.thexvest.com/

This is the one I have. Distributes the weight really well compared to every other vest I've ever tried. Its a really good simulator for the IBA too.

Comment

Working...
                                X