X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Vest

Just ordered a weight vest. Plan on wearing it dailey under my uniform and for some cross country training. It should fit different than my ruck and distrubute the weight more even. Anybody have any experience with these? I am already adapted to the weight since I do a lot of rucking so not looking for the injury side of things, more on the results and personal experience.

Re: Weight Vest

Sorry I dont have alot of experience but had to do a ruck in full battle rattle for something and went out a few times in the vest beforehand. I do know from doing it, it has to be one of the best forms of exersise out there. It was really hot outside and I wanted to do it out there, so I didnt do alot of jogging, minimal, but even the 'speed walking' was great. I walked by many others since it was an area that people did more walking then driving, and I could hear so many as i went by say what a great idea it was to wear...well IOTV at the time.. You will love it. You do notice it after a few miles, i'd make sure you have a tshirt on that you can protect your neck from it in case it decides to rub in one area. Otherwise, drink tons of fluids. I didnt realize how bad I was sweating in a vest until I took it off. Sorry i'm not helpful but I do know it was great excersise!

Comment

Phantom, how heavy is it?

Comment

Yes, how many beer cans does it hold?

Comment

It goes up to 60LBs, thinking of starting off at 30-40lb for a few weeks. Not big enough pockets for the Beer cans, and I flat out refuse to buy ponies. Plus Talladega was this past weekend so there is a shortage of beer until tomorrow.

Comment

Dont you have kids that could trail behind you and hold the beer? I'd say a dog but kids are easier to train and less laws to protect them.

Comment

I have the Golds Gym vest and have been using it for about a year and a half. I have to say I love it, the only problems I have had at all is I can't get it as tight as I would like, bounces around to much for my liking.

Comment

Thanks LT, I have been looking at them for a while and I think this one will be pretty snug.

Also, Becky, I cant let kids have beer, its a LAW!!!! I dont want my Clearance ganked for shaken up beer anyways, it will be there nice and cold when I get finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard
                  I have the Golds Gym vest and have been using it for about a year and a half. I have to say I love it, the only problems I have had at all is I can't get it as tight as I would like, bounces around to much for my liking.
                  Just do what I've been doing and increase your body size. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Comment

I have 2 vests. One is 10 lbs, the other, 35lbs. I use the 10lb to do pushups in and general "everyday" stuff. I also use it during some crossfit workouts. My 35lb vest I used only to ruck in before I got my full IBA. I must admit that using both vests helped me tremedously to build the core strength I needed to increase my PT score and transition to full body armor. Now that I am wearing my IBA a lot I really miss the 35lb!!!!

Comment

Phantom, may I ask where you ordered it? I've been looking at weighted vests for hiking, but I haven't found one that I really liked. Also, they also all seem to be fairly pricey or way too light.

I did buy a pair of weighted gloves, but honestly I haven't felt like they do much for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
                        Thanks LT, I have been looking at them for a while and I think this one will be pretty snug.

Also, Becky, I cant let kids have beer, its a LAW!!!! I dont want my Clearance ganked for shaken up beer anyways, it will be there nice and cold when I get finished.
                        Starters its only if you get caught... second, dont give'em the beer to drink just make'em carry it!

Comment

I don't have experience with them in CC, however I do have experience with them in Martial Arts. I find that it is something really great to use. You get the weight advantages of a ruck but the joint safety of not having a ruck. I don't think you will find that much of a difference with only 30lbs while running, however you will notice a difference while doing PU. You can attempt to do SU with them however some can not take the pressure on their lower back. Dead hang Pull-ups can be difficult at first, however you can quickly get your numbers up.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by blkobswg
                            I don't have experience with them in CC, however I do have experience with them in Martial Arts. I find that it is something really great to use. You get the weight advantages of a ruck but the joint safety of not having a ruck. I don't think you will find that much of a difference with only 30lbs while running, however you will notice a difference while doing PU. You can attempt to do SU with them however some can not take the pressure on their lower back. Dead hang Pull-ups can be difficult at first, however you can quickly get your numbers up.

Good luck

We used to wear our IBA when we did PUs at BCT. Worked wonders for the chicken wings...
                            Last edited by TxIntel 1978; April 28th, 2010, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Phantom...what brand/model did you get??

Comment

Working...
                              X