X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing Weight

Alright so like many I'm interested in the National Guard, but I'm overweight. I don't want to take diet pills. I'd rather just lose weight naturally. So, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on exercising. My main problem is that I don't exercise enough. I don't actually eat a lot. I plan on joining a gym, but if I can just lose weight here at home, then I'd rather do that.

I'm 5'3 183 lbs female.

Thanks ahead of time

Re: Losing Weight

Eat right, exercise more, and avoid the sodium, it will make you hold water. A girl I know who joined the Marines worked out in a body suit to lose more water and ran 6 miles a day. You don't have to go that hardcore but a good exercise plan will help.

Comment

if you don't like to exercise, one way to learn to like it is join a boot camp. I really like the boot camp I am currently doing. Plenty of encouragement from everybody. My only problem is the boot camp is further from my house than I would like.

The one I attend is four days a week, for an entire hour each day. Let me tell you, that last 15 minutes is not for sissies!! As an overweight older guy, one of my goals is to do the entire hour workout and actually do every single repetition of every exercise. I usually wimp out on one, sometimes two. This stuff is tough!!

In addition to the actual boot workout, some of these people actually run a couple of miles before or after the workout as well. Talk about dedicated!

Comment

Check out the reply that I left here: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...367#post120367

There are many people that think you can just work out, eat whatever you want, and lose weight. A lot of losing weight is controlling your eating habits.

As far as work outs go, you don't need a gym. You can do everything from home. Try something like this:

(google these exercises if you don't know how to do them)

Mondays - Legs
        Squats (8 reps)
        Lunges (8 reps)
        Calf raises (8 reps)
        repeat x3

Tuesday - Upper Body Push
        Push ups (do them on your knees if you have to, remember slow down and slow up - 6-8 reps)
        Arm raises (do them with 2.5 - 5 lb weights if you have them - 20 reps)
        Military Press (2.5 - 5 lb weights - 10 reps)
        repeat x3

Wednesday - Run
        Try to jog (even at a slow pace) the whole time for as long as you can. Start out maybe going around the block a couple times then work your way up.

Thursday - Abs
        Crunches
        Sit ups
        Bicycles
        as many as you can do

Friday -
        Take a break or do some light cardio (jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc). The idea is to get your heart going for 30-45 mins.

Saturday - Run
        Try to run more than you did on Wednesday.

This is just a sample plan, but it's similar to what I do and it works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by mheathershaw
          Check out the reply that I left here: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...367#post120367

There are many people that think you can just work out, eat whatever you want, and lose weight. A lot of losing weight is controlling your eating habits.

As far as work outs go, you don't need a gym. You can do everything from home. Try something like this:

(google these exercises if you don't know how to do them)

Mondays - Legs
          Squats (8 reps)
          Lunges (8 reps)
          Calf raises (8 reps)
          repeat x3

Tuesday - Upper Body Push
          Push ups (do them on your knees if you have to, remember slow down and slow up - 6-8 reps)
          Arm raises (do them with 2.5 - 5 lb weights if you have them - 20 reps)
          Military Press (2.5 - 5 lb weights - 10 reps)
          repeat x3

Wednesday - Run
          Try to jog (even at a slow pace) the whole time for as long as you can. Start out maybe going around the block a couple times then work your way up.

Thursday - Abs
          Crunches
          Sit ups
          Bicycles
          as many as you can do

Friday -
          Take a break or do some light cardio (jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc). The idea is to get your heart going for 30-45 mins.

Saturday - Run
          Try to run more than you did on Wednesday.

This is just a sample plan, but it's similar to what I do and it works really well.

This works??? I've been trying to either loose 20 or reduce my bmi and so far nothing has worked lol.

Comment

I'm down 9 pounds from last drill and about 20 or so pounds from 3 or 4 drills ago. Here:

1) Immediately stop all drinking except water, milk and juice, and maybe the occasional low call gatorade or sports drink. Drinking a large soda from McDonalds could be as much as one meal for you.

2) If you're eating out very often, you're wrong, unless you're making smart choices.

3) Swap out all meats for fish, chicken and turkey. Really really wanna get serious? Eat fish and skinless chicken breasts only for meat, and vegetables

4) Salad dressing on a salad (esspecially ranch) is often worse than the entire salad alone.

5) Start cardio. Go for a JOG (not a run), for distance. Doesnt matter if you're running 13 minute miles, go out and put down 2 or 3 miles. However slow you have to, just dont stop.

6) do small changes like take the steps instead of the elevator, push mow the lawn (no griping either. I have almost 2 acres and I push mow it), use a manual door instead of automatic, etc.

7) drink more water.

There's no miracle way that doestn come with a doctors prescription or health risk, so make radicle lifestyle changes. Need a snack? Trail mix or vegetables it is. Super super hungry today? Go big then. Have 3 salmon filets instead of one...thats what i do. Cooking chicken breasts? throw them on a tray and bake them plain. Need flavor? throw on some hot sauce.

Fish? Throw it on the skillet plain. Again...see hot sauce.

Dramatic? for some... but how bad do you want it? I know I want it bad enough. I almost died from being not with the game physically after a drill and showed back up next drill ready to go.

Comment

^^^ yep. Everything show stopper said.

I used to struggle with my weight a lot but now it's a non-issue. On top of diet and exercise, you have to have the right mind set. One thing to remember is that most thin people don't just eat whatever they want. Most tend to choose healthier food in smaller portions without even thinking about it. You can train your mind to do the same thing.

Good luck! I'm 5'3" too, so I know what its like to not be tall enough to carry extra weight.

Comment

Wow hahaha I started driking massive amounts of water and I ended up loosing al that weight in less than a month, it was all just water weight ..crazy.

Comment

what kind of boot camp to join and how u go about joining it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred1023 View Post
                    what kind of boot camp to join and how u go about joining it.
                    Please do not hi-jack 2 year old threads.

Create your own thread with your question in the appropriate category. http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...u-Need-to-Join

Comment

Working...
                    X