X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encounter This?

I did a PT test a while back, and I got 18 pushups, 3 situps, and I didn't finish my run. Horrible scores, yeah. Though on my pushups, I did pass. (I'm a girl by the way) I've started doing some pushups and situps in the morning and evening, just doing ten of each. I'm working my way up. My main thing is, when I do situps, for whatever reasons, I can't seem to do them with my feet flat on the ground. I can easily do ten if my toes are up in the air, and I do believe that having my feet in that position does still fit to test standards. Flat feet, and I can't even do one.

Question is, has anyone else come across this problem, and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Re: Encounter This?

never had that problem, do situps with a weight on your chest to build up faster but you probably aren't advanced enough for that yet. Those scores are some of the lowest I have seen, work or you will have a **** of a time in basic.

Comment

I know I need tons of work when it comes to PT. I've got about forty pounds to lose anyway, and I've only been in the active lifestyle for a few months. I was surprised I even passed on the pushups. The idea of weights on the chest sound cool, I'll give it a shot later on.

Comment

Your toes can be pointed up while your ankles are being held down. Just tell whoever is holding your feet your preference.

Don't feel bad. When I joined, I couldn't do 1 push-up and my sit-ups were horrible. Just keep at it and you will improve dramatically. Some girls (like me) just don't have body types that make us natural PT studs. I have to work really hard at it, and the hard work really pays off.

Comment

Originally posted by Midknight
          I did a PT test a while back, and I got 18 pushups, 3 situps, and I didn't finish my run. Horrible scores, yeah. Though on my pushups, I did pass. (I'm a girl by the way) I've started doing some pushups and situps in the morning and evening, just doing ten of each. I'm working my way up. My main thing is, when I do situps, for whatever reasons, I can't seem to do them with my feet flat on the ground. I can easily do ten if my toes are up in the air, and I do believe that having my feet in that position does still fit to test standards. Flat feet, and I can't even do one.

Question is, has anyone else come across this problem, and is there anything I can do to fix it?

I haven't run into that issue. But if it helps at all, everything I've heard so far about PT test sit ups includes someone holding your feet, so you wouldn't have to keep them in a position on your own.

If you want to increase your numbers, try:
          onehundredpushups.com
          twohundredsitups.com

Or you could do the old deck of cards thing. Each suite = specific exercise. Each number on the card = number of reps. Say you do something like....
          Queens = push ups
          Kings = sit ups
          Spades = jumping jacks
          Diamonds = squats
          Then you randomly pick a card and do the number of reps for each exercise

Good luck. Congratulations on making the lifestyle change. It's definitely not easy...I'm down about 35-40 pounds so far and a little more to go, so I can relate. Stay motivated and you can always come here to ask for pointers, this forum has been extremely helpful to many people.
          Last edited by ping9798; April 21st, 2010, 01:41 AM.

Comment

I'm actually looking forward to being able to run, and not just at the back of the pack, though I've been putting off the initial part of running. Deck of cards sounds like something I would hate doing, but I think I'll give it a shot in the morning. Thanks for the help. PT is one of the necessary evils that the military decided to create.

Comment

Originally posted by Midknight
              I'm actually looking forward to being able to run, and not just at the back of the pack, though I've been putting off the initial part of running. Deck of cards sounds like something I would hate doing, but I think I'll give it a shot in the morning. Thanks for the help. PT is one of the necessary evils that the military decided to create.
              The deck of cards is both good and evil, haha. It sucks when you're doing it, but you feel accomplished afterward. The best part about it is that you won't ever get the same workout twice. You can pick any 4 work outs and do it.

Comment

Good luck, a girl I went to meps with had just lost 30 pounds running 6 miles a day. You can do it if your hearts in it. One tip, don't work out the night before meps and eat breakfast, she needs a waiver for protein in her urine because of all the working out the night before weigh in.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
                  Good luck, a girl I went to meps with had just lost 30 pounds running 6 miles a day. You can do it if your hearts in it. One tip, don't work out the night before meps and eat breakfast, she needs a waiver for protein in her urine because of all the working out the night before weigh in.
                  Hey, not to threadjack, but is there any word on when you go back to MEPS with your waiver?

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. You seem motivated, which is good.

Comment

Recruiter said the docs are reviewing it now and we are just waiting for word. I am worried but hopeful. I hope funky kneecaps I couldn't help wont be the end of my dream. The ROTC physical docs didn't catch it, just the luck of the draw.

Comment

Stick with it, you'll get there eventually. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
                        Recruiter said the docs are reviewing it now and we are just waiting for word. I am worried but hopeful. I hope funky kneecaps I couldn't help wont be the end of my dream. The ROTC physical docs didn't catch it, just the luck of the draw.
                        Hope everything goes well. ROTC is the way I want to be going as well.

Comment

This is a copy from the Regulation.

"The sit-up event measures the endurance of the abdominal and hip-flexor muscles. On the command "get set," assume the starting position by lying on your back with your knees bent at a 90- degree angle. Your feet may be together or up to 12 inches apart. Another person will hold your ankles with the hands only. No other method of bracing or holding the feet is authorized. The heel is the only part of your foot that must stay in contact with the ground. Your fingers must be interlocked behind your head and the backs of your hands must touch the ground. Your arms and elbows need not touch the ground.
                          Good call, LT

Comment

Working...
                          X