Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making the mile

Hello
    Im thinking about joining the NG and going to Basic this summer. But I want to know if i can make it into BCT. I can do atleast 15 push-ups and 25-40 sit ups ( if someone holds me feet, cant do much by myself). But the hard part for me is running the mile in 8:30 sec. I ran yesterday 1 mile in exactly 9.00 min and i was planning on talking to a recruiter this week about joining. Is there anyway i can help me run fast enough to finish in time in the week.

Thanks

Re: making the mile

Drink lots and lots of water, and if your worried about not making the fitness requirement for basic then dont go this summer, enlist find a group of enlisted people or just one who will help motivate you when you run, its no fun running by yourself trust me, you will do 100 percent better with someone motivating you to do better, trust me

Comment

Thanks K-town, Ill get a few friends or my brother to run with me. Ill also start drinking more water.

Comment

I was performing about the same you are when I went. The constant smoking as a result of idiots in my platoon really helped my PT score.

Comment

haha maybe i will the same kind of luck

Comment

Originally posted by wrlakers@aol.com
            haha maybe i will the same kind of luck
            You will. Trust me.

Comment

I would think the shame of "fat camp" or being recylced would be plenty motivation. It was for me.

Comment

boot camps are really good. I'm doing one right now and we do an entire hour four days a week. It's hard for me, as an out of shape 45 year old, but you can even do more than the hour if you want. There is a small group of the people that run 2 miles at 5:00 a.m. before the hour of boot camp. So these people are doing right at an hour and fifteen minutes or so of training, four days a week. Most of them meet on Saturday and do a nice long run as well. I'm guessing 5-6 miles +.

Comment

Wriakers@aol.com, this is some good info you got. I think its 49thadband, that started a fitness routine, and kept a pretty good post going on here. Look it up, makes for a good read and kinda inspiring. Remember, hard work always pays off. Good Luck

Comment

Hey thanks to everyone for the support and info. I have a little Update. Today a Friend and I ran 1 mile in the pouring rain in 8:29 sec which is 31sec faster then i ran Monday and I hope to only get better by the end of the week. Again Thanks for the support and info

Comment

and dont take short steps take strides but not to long of strides, if you need a energy boost i suggest using hammer gel, it taste like **** but the carb does help out

Comment

Alright thanks again for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701
                          You will. Trust me.
                          What he said.

If you really want to go for PT, work up to running 3 miles and keep doing that. Just don't hurt your knees or get shin splints or so. You can always use the couch to 5k program too, just google that sucker.

Comment

When I went to my first rsp I had only been running on the treadmill (winter in indiana) and was in for a rude awakening but I managed to keep up with everyone. Its awesome how much some fear and adrenaline help. If you're that close I say go for it!

Comment

heres an update with my running.
                              I havnt ran all weekend because of busy schedule and today I ran 1 mile in 8:04 sec's. Which is a huge change in a week (or well i believe it is). Thanks for the helpful advice everyone

Comment

Working...
                              X