X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for PT sessions

I'm looking for some innovative, effective ideas for a PT plan I have to design. We have done the standard run, killers, push ups, sit ups, etc, many times. While effective, I'm looking for some possibly unique concepts. I'm especially interested in one "light" day - two days prior to a potential PT test - and one rather challenging day.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Ideas for PT sessions

One day of stretching to keep your body loose is really good to do.

Comment

When my battalion was gearing up for deployment in the Marines we switch to a "battle-focused" PT regimen. All PT was in cammies with full PPE. We did a lot less distance running than prior and focused a lot more on skill drills, such as fireman's carry relays, pushing/pulling M1114's, running the obstacle course in PPE, etc. It was mostly a lot of "put on a flak and kevlar, pick up something heavy, and run over there" style PT. It sucks a LOT at first, even if you're in awesome shape, but it is so much better than the generic calisthenics/run routine.

Comment

Something fun I like to do with my guys,
        Get a deck of cards, assign an exercise to each suit. I.E. hearts = jumping jacks, spades = push ups, and so on. I do each numbered card equals a certain number of 4 count exercises, thus if you pull a 6 of hearts you do 6 4 count jumping jacks. Face cards go as follows, jack = 11, queen = 12, king = 15, ace = 20. I then line the guys up in a single rank, when the exercise is completed the next guy has to run to the front of the formation before I get there. If I beat them to the deck of cards I add on to the count of whatever card I pull, thus motivating them to beat me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard
          Get a deck of cards, assign an exercise to each suit. I.E. hearts = jumping jacks, spades = push ups, and so on. I do each numbered card equals a certain number of 4 count exercises, thus if you pull a 6 of hearts you do 6 4 count jumping jacks. Face cards go as follows, jack = 11, queen = 12, king = 15, ace = 20. I then line the guys up in a single rank, when the exercise is completed the next guy has to run to the front of the formation before I get there. If I beat them to the deck of cards I add on to the count of whatever card I pull, thus motivating them to beat me.

THIS!!! I HATE THIS!!! I had a personal trainer for months getting ready for OCS, I'm now on my own PT schedule I'm sliding into. She did this kinda crap, with push ups, sit ups and an exercise from the push up position (like holding yourself up with one arm while the other arm stacks cones or sorts things).

I hated it. I would always be so exhausted I couldnt do another push up and draw an ace for push ups. Uggggh.

It worked though, but it makes you hate cards!

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999
            THIS!!! I HATE THIS!!! I had a personal trainer for months getting ready for OCS, I'm now on my own PT schedule I'm sliding into. She did this kinda crap, with push ups, sit ups and an exercise from the push up position (like holding yourself up with one arm while the other arm stacks cones or sorts things).

I hated it. I would always be so exhausted I couldnt do another push up and draw an ace for push ups. Uggggh.

It worked though, but it makes you hate cards!
            My guys love it, I think the fact that they are more worried about me beating them to the front of the formation helps keep their mind off the pain. Plus I'm probably not as bad as your PT.

Comment

Oh, also I remember that we did Rock Man Down once a week at Ft. Sill instead of a traditional run and that was a lot more fun. You form a single file line and start running. The guy in front has a rock (we used a relay baton, actually) and passed it to the guy behind him. That guy passes it back, and so on until it reaches the last man, who has to sprint to the front of the column and start the process over. At any moment whoever is leading PT can call "Rock Man Down!" and the guy with the rock has to fall out to the side and bang out 10 pushups then sprint to the front of the line and start the process over. Think hot potato on the run. Also, if someone dropped the rock then everyone had to push. It's nice because you do a lot of sprinting and really vary your pace, so you don't get stuck in the same pace for an hour of mind-numbing running.

Oddly enough there is a wikihow article on how to do it (link).

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard
                We just did something similar to this at my RSP this last weekend... ****ing he!! on earth.

Comment

Working...
                X