X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My fitness journal

We ran like three miles today in formation calling cadence which was cool. Fewer people fell out, only 4 even tho the run was longer and they got yelled at. No one fell asleep either, we just had planning your career class and formations. One thing that suprised me was the food they serve is actually really good and we even got seconds today.

Comment

I think running is a mental thing, especially for a young skinny person like you. When you saw people stop running, your attention probably wandered; you lost focusness. What I do when I'm trying to focus on running is to focus first on my breathing. Get that breathing pattern down pat, because if you don't your brain starts to panic. So, the breathing pattern, I was taught to do the four counts inhale through the nose, and try to make the exhale last as long as possible. what ever works for you.

So, getting your breathing focused should take no more than the end of the 1st quarter mile.

Then, after my breathing is going like clockwork, I focus on somebody that looks like they are doing pretty well, but not way far ahead. Maybe somebody 10 or 15 yards ahead of me. First goal is stay at the same pace as they are, 2nd goal is to catch them.

The great thing is that it's just human nature that they are not gonna want you to pass them. That worked well for me the other day, I was chasing a much, much skinnier person, got within a yard of her and she started to pull away, I kept up, then on the last quarter mile, I turned on a pretty impressive kick to finish in 8:44.

This 8:44 comes from a 45 year old fat guy who 9 weeks previous ran an 11:01.

If I hadn't picked out somebody to catch and pass, I probably run a 9:something, maybe even 10.

good luck

Comment

I passed my 1/1/1 today at drill, first time. I am very happy to have that milestone down.

Comment

Excellent! Keep the target in sight and don't kick yourself if you slide down a bit a time or two before you get to the summit.

Comment

Have you kept running? I guess you're getting ready to go to basic. It's tougher to keep running when you're not part of a group. I miss my old fitness boot camp group.

If I could get a job close to that boot camp, I could seriously see myself hitting some lofty goals.

Comment

I got sick for about a week and stopped running. Just started again this past saturday, ran a mile and nearly died. I'm hoping I can build myself back up in the 13 days I have left. Next week I will try and run two miles everyday.

My fastest ever two mile was only 22 minutes so I have a lot of work and very little time left. I assume they will get me there in basic it will just s.uck more.

Comment

You'll be fine....just keep at it. Basic will fly by and you'll be a soldier before you know it.

Comment

Working...
                X