Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my fitness/health update

Hello everyone,

I've been a member of this forum for a couple years now and it's been extremely helpful and beneficial to me. I thank everyone for their answers and support over the years. I finally made the choice that nothing is going to hold me back from enlisting. Over the years, one thing or another always did. I don't care if I sign on December 31st at 11:59pm...I'm GOING TO ENLIST in 2010. I just have to overcome my obstacle of being overweight.

I started out close to 300 pounds, eating horribly unhealty food, drinking 5-10 pops per day, and at work relying on microwave meals for my 12 hour shifts. I'm now down to around 245 (still a long way to go, I know), eat healthy food, cut out ALL caffeine (Sobe Life Water is a great option for those looking for something other than plain water), cut out alcohol, no fast food, and no microwave meals. For work I cook food now (no adding salt, etc) or make sandwiches.

Today also marks the day that I jogged my first mile. As a bigger girl, it's always been difficult to run and the elliptical became my friend. Today I woke up and said to myself, I don't care how long it takes, I don't care if I puke...I'm going to hit a mile. I walked the first few minutes as a warmup and then went the rest of the time at a nice pace in between jogging and running. I hit the mile at around 15:10. It's not the greatest time, but to me it's a great accomplishment. I never stopped to walk or catch my breath, my shins didn't get painful, and I just kept at it. I just remind myself that it's more than I could do yesterday, but it's not as good as I'll do tomorrow. I'll get there and will meet my goal of enlisting. It's not going to be easy, but anything that's worth it never is.

I'll try to post some periodic updates so that if someone else is in the same boat as me, they might find something helpful from it. Also, it would give the other members an opportunity to shed some light on their routines, or give some words of wisdom to those of us who are having to lose quite a bit of weight. Any input anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and your continued support. Good luck on all of your goals. And remember: if this big ol girl can do it, so can you

Lindsay
    Last edited by ping9798; August 30th, 2010, 02:49 AM.

Re: my fitness/health update

great story. I am actually 5 pounds underwieght. Gona be eatin me some sweeties. Never run two miles in my life so that's where I'm starting.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyB
      great story. I am actually 5 pounds underwieght. Gona be eatin me some sweeties. Never run two miles in my life so that's where I'm starting.
      Don't be a DIK!!!......

Not everyone has life as easy as you apparently do....she may use this forum as a support network.

Keep up the good work.....just keep focused on your goals.

Comment

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend, it was just what the recruiter told me and I thought to give some prespective on the other end of the spectrum.

Comment

it's also not a good thing, I am going to need a waiver for being 9 pounds under if I don't gain it before meps.

Comment

Don't be a DIK!!! ......
            I nominate post of the month.

Comment

Good Job Ping, just keep at it, its never easy but it will come routine and the results will start paying off big time. Very proud of you.

Comment

Good job and stay motivated!

Comment

Lindsay stay at it girl you are doing a great job! In no time you'll be on the "yellow foot prints" sounding off.

Comment

Very cool stuff. Good luck! We're all rooting for you on this end!

Comment

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give a quick update. I had to take the last week off exercising because of being sick, but I'm getting back into it once I get off shift (in about 2 hours). My weight hit a plateau at 235-240, so I had to switch up just doing 5 miles on the elliptical.

Here is my gym routine that I do at least 3 times a week:
                      - 3-5 miles on the elliptical, random setting (so it's never the same work out). Keeping speed above 6-7, and trying to keep the miles around 8 minutes each or at the most 9, if it's a slow day for me.

- 10 minutes on the treadmill minimum. Alternating between jogging and running, after a quick 1-2 minute warm up.

- 10 miles on the exercise bike, on level 10, followed by a 1 mile cool down.

Sometimes I'll switch up the order so it doesn't get redundant, and I'll add some weight machines in between, or do sit ups/push ups.

The diet is going well. I still stay away from fast food, and I'm completely caffeine free, which was a feat in itself. I drink anywhere from 32-64 ounces of water everyday, which is....32-64 ounces more than I used to drink, haha. When I'm not at the gym, I'll run outside or do an Insanity work out. It was hard to stick with Insanity for the whole 60 days - I wasn't in too good of shape to begin with. Now that I'm getting in better shape, I should be able to do it following their schedule of 6 days a week. I listened to my body and knew it was too much too soon, and I didn't want to get myself injured.

I still have a little ways to go before I consider having my recruiter tape me. It's now June 1st, so I've got 6 months to make my goal happen. I told myself it would be before the end of the year, so I need to get cracking. I'm motivated though, and more so than that - I'm stubborn as all get out. So, watch out National Guard...I'm comin' for you

Anyone struggling to find motivation, I hope this helps even slightly. I went from being basically morbidly obese to...well, still kind of a fatty fat cakes, but I'm getting there. If I can do it, so can you. Remember...there are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going. It's been a long, hard road to get in shape but it's worth every second. Soon enough, I'll have the honor and privilege of serving with you amazing men and women, and giving back to the country I love.

Lindsay

Comment

I recommend a heart rate monitor. It measures your BPM over the course of a workout, computes your weight, gender, fitness level and tells you how many calories you burn. 3500 cals is 1 pound of fat. I aim to burn 4-5k cals a week. Combined with weight training, and a diet that goes up and down, I lose 1-2 lbs a week. You cant lie to a HRM, so invest in it. Its better than a gym membership.

Comment

Just a quick update. The weight is kind of at a stand still right now, but I'm up to being able to run 2 miles straight...never thought I'd see the day!

Also, in the morning when I get out of work, I have my first day of boot camp. I registered for a 6 week program that sounds pretty intense. They recommend starting out going 3 times a week at the most, but I'm going to go as much as possible. Ontop of that, I will be doing my usual gym stuff on days I don't go to camp....or days I feel extra motivated and want to double it up.

My hope is that once these 6 weeks are over, I will be able to get re-taped by my recruiter and then schedule a trip to MEPS. I will only get out of it what I put in....and I intend to bust my butt so I can get the most results possible. I will get to where I need to be in order to enlist...now it's just time to officially poop or get off the pot, right?

I'll keep you all posted and will still gladly accept any pointers and advice from everyone. If there are people in the mid-Michigan area looking for a boot camp, the one I'm doing is: www.fitsaginaw.com

Again, thank you all for the help and also the extra motivation. I can't wait to finally join the ranks with all of you brave men and women serving our country.

Lindsay

Comment

Way to go!!! Great job! Keep it up!

Comment

So if day 1 is any indication....camp is going to be BRUTAL. That's all I have to say about it, lol

The good news I wanted to update though, is when I weighed in. Comparing to my numbers from my trainer in Feb/March, I'm officially down 10% body fat and 50 pounds. Depending on if I sign before my birthday or after, I will only have to drop another 5-7%....which is so much better than when I started. I was just under 50% I can't believe I let myself become HALF FAT. Sick. But now I'm at 39% and dropping.

So yeah....needless to say, I'm happy with the results so far. I definitely think that once this 6 week program is over, I will be good to go. Someone in the session before lost 40 pounds doing it...and I can see why. It's absolutely insane. I'm still hurting from Monday's class, but the pain is just reminding me of my hard work

Going to camp Thurs/Fri morning at 0800...if I'm still able to function after two days in a row of this craziness, I will update again. If this process has taught me anything...it's that anything worth really having/doing isn't going to be handed to you - you have to work for it. My patience and motivation have been tested, but I'm not going to give up. This is something I've wanted for a very long time, so I'm not going to let a little blood, sweat, and tears stand in my way. It's a great feeling knowing all of your hardwork is going to pay off!

Comment

Working...
                              X