X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sit up ?

I've experienced this and have also had three others tell me the same thing happends with them. I do more PU/SU during an APFT without working specifically on them the weeks leading to it. Actually I had more sit ups on an APFT after not working out for a few years, then I did after working out for three months hard on them. I do have to say once I may have overworked them and even though I took a day off the day before the test I could still feel some soreness in them from a rough couple of weeks of inclines. I have always been under the impression that sit ups can be done daily and you dont need recovery days. Other than getting in better shape for boating season, I just dont see the insentive on doing them. I had 90 sit ups in two minutes without ever doing a thing, and only 77 working hard on them. Maybe I was just at a plateau? I'd like to get to about 105 of them. Anyone able to shed some light on that? My issue isnt being able to get enough of them, I want to add more to mine and I just didnt see it happen by working out. Well by doing sit ups, different variations on the floor and incline as well as using weight.

Re: sit up ?

Try this tip, Do crunches. Fold your arms across your chest and do as many as you can, once you go to failure then continue until you do 100 reps ( no matter how long you take) do it that way every other day, but do your standard SU on the other days. You will get to the point of being able to do 100 crunches in two minutes. It will work different muscles than your standard SU. Plus it will save strain in your neck. So to reiterate, do 100 no matter how long it takes. Soon youll have 100 SU or Crunches in 2 minutes.

Comment

Re: sit up ?

You cannot do sit ups every day without recovery. Any time that you work any muscle group, you need time to recover. That's likely the issue that you experienced.

Only the first 20-30 degrees of a sit up primarily involves the abdominal muscles while the rest focuses primarily on the hip flexors. Given that you only go down to your shoulder blades during the sit up portion of the APFT, the percentage of the actual sit up that involves the abdominal muscles is even lower.

The top sit up score on our last PT test (94 repetitions) is held by a female who doesn't do any ab workouts, but runs a lot.

If you want to give yourself a shot at 105 repetitions without putting in too much effort and feeling like you're wasting your time, focus on your hip flexors (i.e., flutter kicks, leg lifts, etc.) and add some crunches for kicks. This will also help reduce fatigue during the run, which is a sometimes common issue for people who burn out on the sit up.

Comment

Working...
      X