X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running.

So im used to running on a treadmill. The only reason I run on the mill is because of the weather. But today my brother and I decided to run about 2 miles outside on various terrain, Up hills and stuff. I sucked!!! I ran about .40 miles and my lungs felt like they were going to explode. Flem kept building up in my throat and then I actually threw up my dinner that I ate like and hour and a half Prior to running. I leave for basic at Ft Jackson on march 30th. Im just scared that maybe I relied on the treadmill wayyyyy to much and now im pretty screwed. Is it more of a mixture of cold weather and not being used to running outside? Or is it because I relied to much on the treadmill?? Keep in mind I have work to do on running in general and I am a little overweight. I just hope that all the PT that I have to do in basic gets me better at running. Thats the only thing I have a hard time with at this point. Any help would be cool.

Re: Running.

Treadmills can never completely substitute running. Just get out and hit the pavement. Check out this thread.
    http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ght=treadmills

Comment

Yea i saw that. I would love to run outside but everytime I try to run out in cold northern weather I just about die.

Comment

as long as it's not raining or snowing you should be able to run. put on some gloves. I ran the other day in 35 degree weather with shorts, no gloves, and what I like is that after running about a mile or so when that nice warm feeling comes over me. It feels great.

I wonder about your breathing. Are you breathing in through your nose? I have found that doing that helps me a lot. a nice long, four count inhale through the nose. you might try that.

Strange thing for me this time was that after 3 miles, I came to an intersection and actually got a little bit cold again.

Comment

Originally posted by at4user
          So im used to running on a treadmill. The only reason I run on the mill is because of the weather. But today my brother and I decided to run about 2 miles outside on various terrain, Up hills and stuff. I sucked!!! I ran about .40 miles and my lungs felt like they were going to explode. Flem kept building up in my throat and then I actually threw up my dinner that I ate like and hour and a half Prior to running. I leave for basic at Ft Jackson on march 30th. Im just scared that maybe I relied on the treadmill wayyyyy to much and now im pretty screwed. Is it more of a mixture of cold weather and not being used to running outside? Or is it because I relied to much on the treadmill?? Keep in mind I have work to do on running in general and I am a little overweight. I just hope that all the PT that I have to do in basic gets me better at running. Thats the only thing I have a hard time with at this point. Any help would be cool.

Keep running outside and make sure that you dress in loose layers. You should be okay and you'll definitely get in shape at Ft. Jackson. Don't worry about running for time when you do run, pace yourself, and when you feel that you can't run anymore, walk. When you get your wind back, take off jogging again. Repeat this over a course or do it for a set amount of time. You still have a good amount of time to get prepared. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 49thadband
            as long as it's not raining or snowing you should be able to run.
            Don't let snow or rain stop you either. In BCT we ran in the pouring rain for 60/120s. This morning it was dumping snow.. at first I wasn't going to run but after some pushups, crunches I though "eh why not". Of course I was in an unfamiliar area and got lost on the way back, turning my '20 minute run' into an hour and 20 mins... Still, I used the IPFU jacket/pants/hat and it kept me dry and warm. Just have good treads (or yaktrax) and don't go too fast on snowy or icy ground.
            Last edited by M-T; February 25th, 2010, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I actually found the treadmill to be great if you have a Goal pace in mind (Since you can steadily increase your pace, and are 'forced' to continue at that pace - when your body might naturally begin to slow down while running on your own.)

I'm going to throw out arbitrary numbers here. I started running it at a "6.4" , and ran that "6.4" for a week and every 5 minutes added 1 for 30 minutes - so by the end was running 6.9 for the last 5 minutes. Next week, started at 6.5, and running 7.0 for the last five minutes and so on and so forth.

This actually helped me A LOT improve my endurance and my speed - especially my endurance. By the time you leave for basic/take your next PT test, you'll either be sleeping in the run formation, you feel like you are moving so slow, or wondering how much higher than 100 points you can get on your next run event.

Treadmill gets a ton of hate, but is a great tool at your disposal.
              Last edited by SteveGuard; February 25th, 2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveGuard
                I actually found the treadmill to be great if you have a Goal pace in mind (Since you can steadily increase your pace, and are 'forced' to continue at that pace - when your body might naturally begin to slow down while running on your own.)

I'm going to throw out arbitrary numbers here. I started running it at a "6.4" , and ran that "6.4" for a week and every 5 minutes added 1 for 30 minutes - so by the end was running 6.9 for the last 5 minutes. Next week, started at 6.5, and running 7.0 for the last five minutes and so on and so forth.

This actually helped me A LOT improve my endurance and my speed - especially my endurance. By the time you leave for basic/take your next PT test, you'll either be sleeping in the run formation, you feel like you are moving so slow, or wondering how much higher than 100 points you can get on your next run event.

Treadmill gets a ton of hate, but is a great tool at your disposal.
                I agree. I use it too.

Comment

Perhaps you should not run after dinner? Try mornings, or before dinner, with a little snack.

Also, maybe you started too fast. Try - for a first run - just going fast enough to complete. If it's 10 min/mile it's ok - just set a baseline and complete the distance. Then the next run go a bit faster. You don't have much time, but it's enough to get going. The treadmill is fine - it works the same for me as running outdoors, but it's actually much more monotonous so I find it harder in some regards.

Just get out and do 1-2 days a week outdoors, and 1-2 on treadmill. Don't be afraid to get winded, just force yourself to endure a bit longer each time. So, perhaps you are doing 2 miles at 10 min miles - that faster than walking, but just by a bit, run the 1st mile faster and slow down for 2nd. Just focus on completing the distance without break - no matter what speed. You'll get better but it takes time.

Comment

i walk/ran a 11 min mile today. so im wondering what my run mile time is?

it really helped my learning to control my breathing

word of advice:

Allow oxygen to naturally go through your mouth and nose. It will take a while to learn this because even though its a natural habit we typically learn to force oxygen into ourselves while we run. If you do this remember to breathe deep and exhale fully this helps majorly

Comment

Here's what makes a good run for me (I'm slightly overweight too)...

It's best to drink a bunch of water in the evening, but pace it out so you're not getting up many times overnight to use the toilet.
                      Running on an empty stomach makes the run easier. So mornings before breakfast are the best times for me. If you can't, then eat a light meal (salad) hours before running.
                      Wear loose fitting clothes. Keeping the body cooler makes it perform better.
                      Breathing is important. I don't do the whole nose thing. Just find what works for you so while you're running you're not huffing and puffing with your lungs on fire.
                      Good footwear makes a huge difference. IMO, Nike or Asics are probably the best running shoes on the market.
                      I alternate days. One day will be a distance run. I'll push myself to run 2.5 to 3 miles at a pace that'll allow me to finish. I try to vary the grade of the path I run too. The next day, I run for time and try to meet my goals (which always change as my run improves). If my body is too sore, I take the day off.
                      Stretching a lot before every run does the body good. I do around 5 minutes of this. When the run is over....stretch again. Don't shortcut yourself on it. Stretching prevents injuries and pains.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I've been reading through all the running posts to get some advice on my running routine and even though I didn't ask the initial question, I appreciate the input from everyone.

My question, however, is...I'm a little overweight and working to get down to meet the standards for enlistment. I've played ice hockey for over 10 years, so my lungs are never the problem. How can I make it so my shins don't start killing me? I stretch before and after, do a couple different exercises to help with shin splits, but nothing seems to work. I know that breathing-wise, I can go longer...but my shins start to hurt so bad I have to quit. This is both on a treadmill and on the road. I don't know if I have bad form because obviously I can't watch myself run.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lindsay

Comment

An elliptical machine would help you if that's your issue.

PT tests are all done on pavement or track though.
                          Last edited by SteveLord; February 27th, 2010, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord
                            An elliptical machine would help you if that's your issue.

PT tests are all done on pavement or track though.

Oh, I can kill the elliptical haha. I usually do 1 mile, 1 mile backwards, and then a 3rd mile. I try to do it in under 30 minutes, usually I'm right around 27-28 minutes. Not bad for a fatty fat cakes

Comment

Originally posted by ping9798
                              I've been reading through all the running posts to get some advice on my running routine and even though I didn't ask the initial question, I appreciate the input from everyone.

My question, however, is...I'm a little overweight and working to get down to meet the standards for enlistment. I've played ice hockey for over 10 years, so my lungs are never the problem. How can I make it so my shins don't start killing me? I stretch before and after, do a couple different exercises to help with shin splits, but nothing seems to work. I know that breathing-wise, I can go longer...but my shins start to hurt so bad I have to quit. This is both on a treadmill and on the road. I don't know if I have bad form because obviously I can't watch myself run.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lindsay
                              The problem is probably your shoes, and the fact that your body is not used to the punishment. You need to look for a new pair of better shoes. Also, do not stretch before your run. Warm up, take a hot shower, massage your shins. Stretch afterwords but never before. Make sure you are warmed up - which might mean brisk walk before the run.

Comment

Working...
                              X